Old 09-25-2007, 09:22 PM   #1
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Latest 8300 OS: Singapore Telecom 4.2.2.314 / 4.2.2.173

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all -

Impatient as I am for a new update to the 8300 OS, I went to RIM's site, and checked the version numbers available for each and every 8300 download. I found that the Singapore Telecom version now stands at:

Package 4.2.2.314

Applications 4.2.2.173

Platform 2.4.0.76

I've downloaded it, but have to get my kids to bed before I can play. Not sure what differences we'll see (if any), but it's something to keep us busy as we wait for 4.3!

Download Link

To install this software on any GSM Curve:

1. Download and install the latest Desktop Manager from here

2. Download and install the OS packaged linked above.
3. Delete the vendor.xml file located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader
4. Connect BB, open Desktop Manager and you should be prompted to upgrade.

*Note to TMo users with unlocked Curves from other carriers: All service books, including Browser, will now be pushed normally to the device with all these later OS versions.

(Link to previous OS thread: Click Here.)

Last edited by vinmontRD; 09-26-2007 at 07:27 AM..
Old 09-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Stuck thread and added instructions. New fun, although not much newer.
Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM   #3
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Stuck thread and added instructions. New fun, although not much newer.
Thanks John for making my post actually usable! I was in a rush (kids should have been in bed an hour earlier, but I was stuck searching for OS versions - priorities, dontcha know!) and only took the time to post the headline. Thanks for adding the meat!
Old 09-25-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

No problem. I've been doing it to all the OS sticky threads so I don't have to post to delete the vendor.xml 18 times in one thread!
Old 09-25-2007, 10:26 PM   #5
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

I'm in the middle of loading this now...

Uninstalled prior version from PC.
Installed new version on PC.
Reviewed all ALX files, and changed vendorID references in them to "102" where I wanted themes loaded (and this time, did NOT do that for ones I wasn't going to use - save some memory this way!)
Set PTT references to "false" instead of "true", so this wouldn't be loaded (I'm on TMo)
Deleted Vendor.xml (as per John's kind reminder)

Plugged in my Curve (to the PC)
Fired up Device Manager

Got a warning I've never seen before: "Duplicate Messages" -- guess I'll find out how bad that is when I fire up the Curve after its new brain is loaded into it...

Now in the middle of the first of the two long steps: I'm in the Application Loader Wizard with the "Updating Your Device" dialog at the "Load JVM and system software" step (ugh!). This part will take a bit, and then the "Load Java applications" part will be pretty lengthy too. Then I'll have to wait for the Curve to restart, which I'm guessing will take about 45 mins.

At this rate, I might be asleep before it comes back to life. If I'm awake, I'll post my results / comments (don't expect anything exciting, this was probably just a few bug fixes and a new build number). Otherwise, I'll post in the morning.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:38 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

It usually only takes 15 minutes max to reboot after all is done.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 PM   #7
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
It usually only takes 15 minutes max to reboot after all is done.
I was just coming back to report that things are moving faster than I had expected. I'm down to the "Wait for device initialization" step, with all the java apps having been loaded. According to the progress bar, I'm about 20% of the way in....

At this point, I HAVE to stay up to see it come back to life tonight! (sleep is overrated anyway)
Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM   #8
John Clark
BBF Moderator

That's another 15 minute wait, there too.
Old 09-25-2007, 10:49 PM   #9
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
That's another 15 minute wait, there too.
...not to mention, "Restore device data"...

Old 09-25-2007, 10:55 PM   #10
biggem001
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

any word on whats new?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM   #11
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggem001 View Post
any word on whats new?
Not yet. Halfway through "Restore device data" and moving fast. I expect to be able to try it out in about 5 or 10 mins.
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #12
biggem001

Model: 8300
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinmontRD View Post
Not yet. Halfway through "Restore device data" and moving fast. I expect to be able to try it out in about 5 or 10 mins.
good to hear, i cant do it ATM but i do want to see whats new
Old 09-25-2007, 11:01 PM   #13

Model: 8700G
Carrier: Singtel

Hi,
My guess is this package includes Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages and input support without the other language fonts/support.
I am with another carrier so it's just my guess.
Rgds
Old 09-25-2007, 11:51 PM   #14
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by avatar View Post
Hi,
My guess is this package includes Chinese, Japanese and Korean languages and input support without the other language fonts/support.
I am with another carrier so it's just my guess.
Rgds
Yes - options for many Asian languages were included (I opted out). So far, I haven't found anything else new in this release.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:06 AM   #15
John Clark
BBF Moderator

The file name is 8300CJK.....I'm guessing it supports Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.
Old 09-26-2007, 12:53 AM   #16
hotburnttoast
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9700
PIN: Unique 8-character hexadecimal ID number assigned to all BlackBerrys

dumb question but how do I do this.............Set PTT references to false

Is there en editied alx.file available to unlock all themes
Old 09-26-2007, 07:25 AM   #17
vinmontRD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
dumb question but how do I do this.............Set PTT references to false

Is there en editied alx.file available to unlock all themes
Not a dumb question at all!

When you install the Blackberry OS on your PC, one of the main tasks is setting up a folder structure and a set of Blackberry device files within that PC folder -- but not for use by the PC. Instead, most of these files will sit on your PC, waiting for you to fire up the Blackberry Device Manager with the Blackberry plugged into the USB port of your PC.

The Desktop Manager and Application Loader (a piece of software invoked by the Desktop Manager) can examine your Blackberry and compare the versions of the various programs currently loaded to the versions of the same software sitting in these OS folders on your PC. If the software appears to be intended for your device, and if the versions do not match (from PC to Blackberry), AND if the "vendorID" associated with the software matches the vendorID stored in your Blackberry, THEN the Application Loader will offer to load the software from the PC into your Blackberry.

All of this "tagging" to identify device, vendor and software version, is implemented in various files containing "XML" (extended markup language) code (also a couple of other files involved). Look at the following path on your PC, after having "installed" the Blackberry OS to your PC:

c:\Program Files|Common Files\Research In Motion\Shared\Loader Files\

Immediately below that you should see another subdirectory with a name based on the version of the OS you installed to the PC. An example of this is:

8300-v4.2.2.173_P2.4.0.76

This "OS-specific" directory is where you will find the ALX files, e.g., files with an extension ".alx". These files can be viewed and/or edited in a text editor like Windows Notepad. You will be able to ignore most of the innards, but essentially these files will determine which Java ".cod" files will be loaded into your Blackberry depending on various conditions.

There are a few places in the ALX files that can determine which files are loaded. We're interested primarily in the spots that rely on the value of a data field called "vendorID". Each Blackberry that leaves the factory receives a "vendorID" designation - stored internally in the device - that associates it with the wireless carrier it is intended to be sold by. For example, T-Mobile Blackberry's all of a vendorID of 100, and AT&T Blackberry's all have a vendorID of 102.

If you search the file LBS.alx, you will the following section about halfway down:

<!-- For 8800 series, hide the icon for AT&T (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175). -->
<!-- For non-8800 series, show the icon for all carriers except AT&T (102), Vodafone Germany (124), Vodafone Austria (137) and all Orange properties, including Amena (Orange Spain - 175). -->
<fileset SystemSize="normal" Colour="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102" series="~8800">

As a matter of fact, I have already modified this part of the file (maybe somebody else can edit this and add the unmodified version for comparison). Essentially, the first two lines above, that begin with "<!--", are comments. The third line, beginning with "<fileset", has a tag "_vendorID". In my file, you can see that I've set _vendorID to "102", which matches the value stored in my Blackberry. This means that the LBS (location based services -- another name for the Blackberry Maps service) WILL be loaded into my Blackberry. In the original version of the file, if my recollection is correct, the _vendorID tag is set to a long string specifiying a number of vendors who opt to let their customers use Blackberry Maps, with the various vendorID's separated by a "|", which means "or". Also - where you see "102" (AT&T's vendorID) in the list, there is a tilda in front of it ("~"), meaning "NOT". Essentially, this is the way to set the ALX file to NOT load Blackberry Maps into your Blackberry if it's an AT&T branded device. The change I made to the file, leaving "102", without a tilda, means that Blackberry Maps WILL be installed if my Blackberry's vendorID is 102. Further down in the ALX, there will be a list of files ending in ".cod" -- these are the actual Java files that get copied into your device if the conditions are right.

That's just one of the ways the ALX files control your software loading.

The "Push to Talk" application is another good one to look at. It is ONLY useful if your carrier supports this service, and if you are paying to use it. Otherwise, having it in your Blackberry merely uses up valuable memory, and may even slow the device down by "running" in the background, waiting for you to invoke it. Load up the "Platform.alx" file, and take a look on line 7 (beginning with "<os radio=". About halfway along this line you'll see "pttApp="True". This is one of the places where the Application Loader looks to see if it should load the Push to Talk application to your device.

Down on line 110, you'll see another line that reads:

<fileset pttApp="True" Java="1.0" _vendorID="102">

These are additional opportunities to tell the Application Loader to either load, or not load, PTT to your device. Although it's overkill, in addition to modifying the line near the top of the file, I also modified this line, changing to read:

<fileset pttApp="False" Java="1.0" _vendorID="123">

So: I have now told the Application Loader in three different places to NOT load PTT to my Blackberry. The last part, where I set "_vendorID=123", is simply setting the file to look for a vendorID that I know is NOT going to match the one stored in my Blackberry. Since I know that my device is an unlocked, AT&T-branded, Blackberry, its vendorID is "102". Since "102" doesn't equal "123", this will be another "test" the will fail when the Application Loader runs, indicating once more that PTT should NOT be loaded.

I know this is verbose, and that the alx files look messy and complex. After you've poked through them a few times and see how they're organized, the part you need to deal with becomes very straightforward.

Modifying the Blackberry.alx is also how people have been "unlocking" the various vendor-specific themes. Turns out that all the vendor-specific themes are sitting on your PC when you load the software there, but the Blackberry.alx normally tells the Application Loader to only load up the ones intended for your carrier. Try opening Blackberry.alx, and search for the comment line reading, "<!-- Theme filesets -->". This is the section of the file that controls the loading of the themes. This is done two ways. If there is NO vendorID specified, the files, such as "net_rim_bb_media_320x240_b.cod", will be loaded to any vendor's Blackberry (T-Mobile, AT&T, etc). Where the "_vendorID tag IS specified, it must match your device's vendorID if the file is to be loaded.

You have two choices to allow a theme file to be loaded:
1) Change the vendorID specification to match your device. For example, for an AT&T branded device, one of the lines might read:

<fileset Colour="True" Java="1.0" series="8800|8300" _vendorID="102">

2) Or you can REMOVE the vendorID specification altogether, allowing the theme to be loaded on any vendor's device, as in:

<fileset Theme="Normal" Colour="True" series="8800|8300" Java="1.0">

After you have made the modifications, you connect your Blackberry to the PC, fire up Desktop Manager, and then start the Application Loader.

So - there you have it. A verbose, but basic, overview of a couple of features in the ALX files that let us determine some of what's loaded onto our Blackberry's, and overriding the default behavior of the Application Loader.

A word of caution: before editing these files, you might want to make a copy of the directory with the ALX's. This way, if you make a mistake, it's easier to simply copy the original files back in place over your mistake and start over.

Have fun!

Old 09-26-2007, 07:39 AM   #18
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

holy shit, it might look intimidating but it literally takes about 3 minutes to do!!!
Old 09-26-2007, 07:50 AM   #19
rsnadel

Model: 9000

Thanks for all your work on this. Did it eventually install successfully? And lastly: I've got an AT&T-branded (and locked) 8300 that works fine. Does there appear to be a reason to upgrade to this newer version of firmware? Any idea how I might benefit from it?
Old 09-26-2007, 07:56 AM   #20
psyct1

Model: iPhon
PIN: ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsnadel View Post
Thanks for all your work on this. Did it eventually install successfully? And lastly: I've got an AT&T-branded (and locked) 8300 that works fine. Does there appear to be a reason to upgrade to this newer version of firmware? Any idea how I might benefit from it?
There are very few differences between all the firmware from what I can tell...

however, as I am in the same boat as you (ATT branded 8300 on ATT), sometimes when I would install the "latest" OS out there for the 8300, regardless of carrier, my phone would act "funny", my MMS quit working once, and I also couldn't hold an "EDGE" signal to save my life... when I reinstalled the latest ATT OS, all was well again...

however, you will also find that I am in the minority when it comes to the problems above, MANY MORE have reported to have no issues at all with the later OS installs...

just some food for thought for you!

EDIT: worse case scenario, you just have to reinstall the lastest AT&T OS... which does not take NEARLY AS LONG to do as the "upgrade", trust me, I've done it like 4 times now...

Last edited by psyct1; 09-26-2007 at 07:58 AM..
Closed Thread