Old 05-31-2008, 01:54 PM   #21
JD914
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfandstrum View Post
I'm a Jawbone fan too...Does anyone know where to find the Jawbone 2 for less than what AT&T sells for $129? My friend just got it at the MSRP and loves it...I heard him on his Harley and it didn't take out all the ambient noise, but it was better than many other BT's...It's not perfect (because there is one out there), but it's one of the better ones...
I have a brand new one that I got on craigslist for $75. By far this is the best Bluetooth head set to have. It's true what they claim on how good it cuts off background noise. Simply amazing.
Old 05-31-2008, 04:06 PM   #22
aaronc_98

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon

Wirelessly posted

Only 2 words... New Jawbone
Old 05-31-2008, 04:09 PM   #23
HYPHYRR

Model: 8310

jawbone 2.0
Old 05-31-2008, 04:53 PM   #24
ukulele_ninja
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700

lol those are some pretty overwhelming testimonials lol
Old 05-31-2008, 09:04 PM   #25
surfandstrum
Thumbs Must Hurt

ok...Jawbone 2 is great...The fit and feel is way better than the Plantronics and the sound is better than the H12...The Noise Assassin sound quality really makes a difference and is very noticeable to all the listeners...Highly recommend!!!!
Old 05-31-2008, 09:46 PM   #26
JD914
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurichan View Post
Every single one of them sucks.

Bluetooth is a total crock.

The audio quality on every single Bluetooth device I've owned has been bad to the point of useless.

Your best bet is a wired device.

Don't waste your time with Bluetooth.
Very bad advise.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:04 AM   #27
ukulele_ninja

Well first night with the jawbone and I can only give it a modest 6 out of 10. The fit is comfortable and I wore it a lot today doing different activities so heres the breakdown:

While bike riding the headset was better than I expected. My gf said she could hear me ok even though I expected the wind to be an issue. A few times she said it became staticy and she said I sounded far away, but not enough that she couldnt understand what I was saying. The comfort was decent and the ear bud part didnt feel overly obtrusive. I liked that the ear hook had the rubber 'bar' that helped keep the whole headset very snug against my ear.

Next I tried it on my drive home which she always complains about 'static' which we seemed to have ruled out as environmental noise from my car that must be easily picked up by the BB microphone because on my old RAZR we never encountered it. With the jawbone on, she said there was zero 'static' but I sounded forever away which made me have to nearly yell in order to carry on a conversation. so tough choice between her complaining about the static without the headset or my far away voice with the headset...hmmm.... Again comfort was pretty good although I felt myself adjusting it every so often because my ear was getting slightly irritated by the hook after being there for a while. Usually I wouldnt be wearing it nearly as long.

Finally, when I got in this evening and sat down to start typing this first days review some really weird things manifested themselves. First off in the middle of talking without warning the headset became instantly filled with static (this is plugged in mind you) on both mine and hers end. I took it off and tried to activate the handset but for some reason the 'pearl' on my phone refused to let me scroll down leaving me incapable of selecting the option to use the handset. I disconnected and did a soft reset which corrected the issue when it came back until the headset reconnected and the same freaking thing happened! No scrolling down was taking place!

I didnt have a manual for the jawbone but I figured out how to get it turned off which again corrected the problem and decided to turn it for tonights test run. Maybe that bizarre occurance was just a freak accident, hopefully...

So again 6/10. Pros being the comfort and the quality of the audio on my end. Cons are the design which yes looks sorta cool but I dont like the whole 'invisible buttons' deal because they are both difficult to push and a little confusing to figure out which controls what... the manual might have helped... Also big negatives were the audio on my listeners end and the 'far away' syndrome which I have experienced with past headsets. Not bowled over tonight by the jawbone but we see what happens tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:13 AM   #28
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW

Haven't had the brand new Jawbone 2, but I had the last one and returned it. Tinny sound for me. I've tried just about every other type of headset and have settled on the Plantronics 510 Discovery. Works great, over the ear, comfy for at least a few hours at a time, great battery life, soft ear piece that just sits just outside the ear canal, so it blocks outside noises well, but doesn't have to sit in the ear like an ear bud type. Only complaint with that one is that the power button is too small.
Old 06-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #29
JD914
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
Well first night with the jawbone and I can only give it a modest 6 out of 10. The fit is comfortable and I wore it a lot today doing different activities so heres the breakdown:

While bike riding the headset was better than I expected. My gf said she could hear me ok even though I expected the wind to be an issue. A few times she said it became staticy and she said I sounded far away, but not enough that she couldnt understand what I was saying. The comfort was decent and the ear bud part didnt feel overly obtrusive. I liked that the ear hook had the rubber 'bar' that helped keep the whole headset very snug against my ear.

Next I tried it on my drive home which she always complains about 'static' which we seemed to have ruled out as environmental noise from my car that must be easily picked up by the BB microphone because on my old RAZR we never encountered it. With the jawbone on, she said there was zero 'static' but I sounded forever away which made me have to nearly yell in order to carry on a conversation. so tough choice between her complaining about the static without the headset or my far away voice with the headset...hmmm.... Again comfort was pretty good although I felt myself adjusting it every so often because my ear was getting slightly irritated by the hook after being there for a while. Usually I wouldnt be wearing it nearly as long.

Finally, when I got in this evening and sat down to start typing this first days review some really weird things manifested themselves. First off in the middle of talking without warning the headset became instantly filled with static (this is plugged in mind you) on both mine and hers end. I took it off and tried to activate the handset but for some reason the 'pearl' on my phone refused to let me scroll down leaving me incapable of selecting the option to use the handset. I disconnected and did a soft reset which corrected the issue when it came back until the headset reconnected and the same freaking thing happened! No scrolling down was taking place!

I didnt have a manual for the jawbone but I figured out how to get it turned off which again corrected the problem and decided to turn it for tonights test run. Maybe that bizarre occurance was just a freak accident, hopefully...

So again 6/10. Pros being the comfort and the quality of the audio on my end. Cons are the design which yes looks sorta cool but I dont like the whole 'invisible buttons' deal because they are both difficult to push and a little confusing to figure out which controls what... the manual might have helped... Also big negatives were the audio on my listeners end and the 'far away' syndrome which I have experienced with past headsets. Not bowled over tonight by the jawbone but we see what happens tomorrow.
Give it a little more time and you'll consider an 8 or 9 rating. Theres a reason why C Net gave it an Editors Choice Award.

Aliph Jawbone 2 Headset reviews - CNET Reviews

Last edited by JD914; 06-01-2008 at 10:44 AM..
Old 06-01-2008, 10:57 AM   #30
kjjb0204
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: VZW

Ninja - did you get the older Jawbone or the new Jawbone 2?
Old 06-01-2008, 11:23 AM   #31
surfandstrum
Thumbs Must Hurt

There is a big difference from the Jawbone 1 and 2...The 2 is noticeably better...
Old 06-01-2008, 11:55 AM   #32
omegafiler

Carrier: Sprint

I've had several over the years. The most recent is the original Jawbone, which I've had for a few months, and just don't even use it anymore. It's way too uncomfortable for extended use and I can never use it outdoors or with the windows down. The wind noise sorta kills it. Either the caller can't hear you or you can't hear them. Otherwise, the noise cancellation does work very well... as long as it's not too windy.

And the charger sucks. They give you the shortest cord I've ever seen. And to make it even worse, it's a proprietary connector specific to the Jawbone only.

Not sure if the New Jawbone is any better, but I'm still waiting for other solid alternatives. You'd think after all this time there would be a "perfect" all around BT headset.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:00 PM   #33
ukulele_ninja

Im using the original jawbone right now, After a few days with it I may consider the jawbone two if I like this one
Old 06-01-2008, 12:02 PM   #34
ukulele_ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by omegafiler View Post
I've had several over the years. The most recent is the original Jawbone, which I've had for a few months, and just don't even use it anymore. It's way too uncomfortable for extended use and I can never use it outdoors or with the windows down. The wind noise sorta kills it. Either the caller can't hear you or you can't hear them. Otherwise, the noise cancellation does work very well... as long as it's not too windy.

And the charger sucks. They give you the shortest cord I've ever seen. And to make it even worse, it's a proprietary connector specific to the Jawbone only.

Not sure if the New Jawbone is any better, but I'm still waiting for other solid alternatives. You'd think after all this time there would be a "perfect" all around BT headset.
You mentioned outdoor problems, but this is one area I thought it shined. I took on a bike ride and my caller only mentioned wind noise a few times during the 15-20 minute call. I did not try it in a car with the windows down yet though.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:08 PM   #35
ukulele_ninja

This may seem weird but do they make any BT's with an attachable boom mic? This would seem to solve the 'far away' issue that happens in some situations, but I would have to be detachable for fear of ridicule anywhere in public...lol
Old 06-01-2008, 01:16 PM   #36
omegafiler

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukulele_ninja View Post
You mentioned outdoor problems, but this is one area I thought it shined. I took on a bike ride and my caller only mentioned wind noise a few times during the 15-20 minute call. I did not try it in a car with the windows down yet though.
Well, to be more specific, it actually seems to have a big issue when the wind makes direct contact with the mic. Just the noise of nearby wind doesn't seem to cause problems though. But I know when I've been outside cleaning the vehicle and the wind catches the mic, both yourself, and the callers voice will cut in and out. So on a windy day... not good!

Last edited by omegafiler; 06-01-2008 at 02:31 PM..
Old 06-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #37
peoples_flip
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8330
Carrier: Bell Mobility

The Jawbone is the best bluetooth headset hands down!
Old 06-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #38
llxtheonexll

Model: 8320
Carrier: t-mobile

I had an old motorola bluetooth from years ago. I don't even remember the model number but I know it was one of the first ones that came out when bluetooth blew up. Anyways, since those first models (and pretty much any motorola models) suck ass, I decided to get a new one for use with my 8320. So for the past few weeks I have been browsing for reviews and editors choice lists for bluetooths and the consensus seems to be leaning toward the jawbone I and II and a few of the plantronics line as the best overall. I wanted to get a jawbone at first as the sound quality on those seem to be rated the best with their Noise Sheild technology and the plantronics line following closely behind with their Audio IQ technology. But the plantronics bluetooths look a lot better and are supposed to be more comfortable. So I picked up a Plantronics 925, the newest in their line I think. The fir and comfort is good, its light as a feather, sound quality is great, and I think its the best looking bluetooth out. Got it at best buy for 129.99. That's my two cents.
Old 06-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #39
louch6

Model: Curve

Quote:
louch...did you find a good price for the Jawbone 2?
It was given to me as a birthday gift so I am not sure how much it was. But even if it was full price it was well worth it.
Old 06-01-2008, 04:02 PM   #40
louch6

Model: Curve

Quote:
There is a big difference from the Jawbone 1 and 2...The 2 is noticeably better...
I second that motion. I swore by my Jawbone, but the new one blows it out of the water. It is half the size of the original, it is more comfortable, and it is also made to be able to wear with or without the ear loop.
Closed Thread