BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #1
BB@Singapore

Model: 9500
Carrier: StarHub
Question Cut-over BES 4.0 to 4.1

Please Login to Remove!

I'm doing a cut-over upgrade from BES 4.0.7 to BES 4.1.6 for Exchange using same SRP and same BESname. Installed fresh BES 4.1.6 with SQL Express and prior to start of the new BES, I've merely stopped the services of the old BES 4.0.7 (with MSDE) i.e. stopped controller, router, dispatcher and rest of BB services ONLY (did not stopped MSDE and did not shut-down entirely).

Upon starting-up of the new BES 4.1.6 with SQL database, wanted to add all BB users as 'new' users however, when click on 'Add users', the address book pop-up appeared but it's empty and shows error ... something like .. 'download offline address book...' - *bugger* .. I didn't get the actual error message .... hmmm .... and under application event viewer, noted that both agent 1 and agent 2 could not be started ... ..haiz ...

Figured this should be almost like a new BES setup which should be very straightforward, right? Re-add users and then re-activate them but, it wasn't. Then realised that it could be because the old BES needs to be entirely shut-down as stopping the services only doesn't mean that everything else stopped? (e.g. the agents of old BES still exists in Exchange thus causing conflict and that's why the new BES agents could not be started?)

I'm hoping that if my assumptions are right ... so, what I need to do now is to shut-down both BES and then just restarts the new BES 4.1.6 and I should be able to add users as usual? Since SRP remains unchanged, will the new database be able to pick-up user's existing PIN and re-connect their BB services automatically? Even if reactivation is required, do users need to wipe their device before reactivating?

Appreciate the help in advance ... :D
Old 08-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #2
BB@Singapore

Model: 9500
Carrier: StarHub

Sorry forgot to mention ...

old BES : Win2K Server SP4 - BES 4.0.7 Exchange 2003 (yeah... upgraded to Exc 2007 SP1 without upgrading BES .... users started getting errors esp calendaring thus reason why upgrading to 4.1.6 now)
new BES : Win2K3 R2 - BES 4.1.6 - Exchange 2007 SP1 (non-mixed and all pre-requisites met)