BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #1
Carbine Guy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default wireless upgrade higher than 4.7.0.75?

Please Login to Remove!

Is there a wireless upgrade available higher than 4.7.0.75?
Old 01-13-2009, 11:54 AM   #2
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Not at the moment ... 4.7.0.75 is currently the Verizon Wireless Default OS.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #3
Tri-Tip
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9650

Does anyone know when there will be an update available from Verizon?

I'm hesitant to do it until they acknowledge it.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:27 PM   #4
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9530
PIN: Ask

Tri, If you are with Verizon - like myself - you will know because it will be pushed wirelessly to your phone. You will notice when a "wireless upgrade" icon appears on your screen. When you select it, you will be walked through the process. The upgrade procedure took me about 10-15 minutes and I was back online.

.75 was pushed to me early December. I am praying the new official OS release occurs sometime this quarter.

IMO - Don't dare load a beta OS on your VZW phone! Not only It will void your warranty if Verizon finds out, it may cause irrepairable damage to your phone that even a factory wipe won't cure.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 01-16-2009 at 02:28 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 02:44 PM   #5
moviemogul
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: I have one, but do you want it :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by XelhaBB View Post
IMO - Don't dare load a beta OS on your VZW phone! Not only It will void your warranty if Verizon finds out, it may cause irrepairable damage to your phone that even a factory wipe won't cure.
Really...so considering my phone runs perfectly on .85, it's irrepairable. How about the thousands running without problems? How about those who have reverted back to .75 successfully? Plus, it won't void your warranty at all.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #6
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
it may cause irrepairable damage to your phone that even a factory wipe won't cure.
Hogwash.
Old 01-16-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
Default Wireless Upgrade

Heck, I am still running .65. I have tried to update software via Verizon and via Blackberry website and nothing is available. I don't want to download beta version. Any other ways?
Old 01-16-2009, 04:20 PM   #8
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

Well, according to Moviemogul the various posters with horror stories about their phones being jacked up after installing beta versions are all complete liars. Additionally, JSanders just indicated the story about a factory wipe not curing a beta load issue is also a mountain of bull. Thanks for clearing that up guys.

Watoosy, if you are still running .65, call Verizon and ask them to "push" the wireless upgrade to your phone. When the icon appears, activate the process and you should be back online with .75 in approximately 20 minutes.

I am no tech or Verizon representative. However, after basically being called a liar, I took the time to contact Verizon and ask them if it would be a problem loading a beta OS into my Storm. I was immediately informed that If I was not an official beta tester and loaded an unauthorized copy into my phone - my warranty would be voided.

Take that for what it is worth.

Verizon 9530
Old 01-16-2009, 04:32 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

You know what, lol? They were wrong.

It may not void your warranty, BUT they don't have to support the OS once you have it loaded on the device. If you need warranty support, you just downgrade back to the OS Verizon offers.

I don't even think you know what a factory wipe is, do you? Any OS, official or beta is simply software. It does not go in your BB and tinker with the hardware and "cause irrepairable [sic] damage". Using JL_cmcder the entire device can be wiped.

So--get this. No one called you a liar. Get the chip off your shoulder and quit playing a victim.

It is not that you are lying, you are just offering misinformation.

@ Watoosy, if you want the official released version of the .75 OS from Verizon, it is right here:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html

Last edited by JSanders; 01-16-2009 at 04:33 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 05:03 PM   #10
bjchantry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watoosy View Post
Heck, I am still running .65. I have tried to update software via Verizon and via Blackberry website and nothing is available. I don't want to download beta version. Any other ways?
Watossy, did you try pulling it yourself. Not sure because you say via Verizon and via Blackberry, so maybe you have tried this. If you go to Options -. Advanced Options, at the bottom there is a Wireless Upgrade option. Select it and it should look for it and find it, perhaps that is what you did when you say via Verizon. Otherwise do what JSanders is saying, download it from his link.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:28 PM   #11
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

JSanders, your euphemisms were analogous to calling me a liar. But lets just put that in the past. Let's say we have different opinions. You offer opinions for the daring owner. I merely offered an opinion for the less daring.

By using the term "factory wipe" I am referring to basically conducting a master reset and clearing the resident memory of all stored data. Much in the same manner you would reformat a computer hard drive. I will concede to you fully that I am not as proficient with cellular phones as I am with computers. But I feel you are incorrect in certain aspects. There is some digital information that can be written into an electronic storage sector of a phone or computer hard drive, that can actually persist even after either is reformatted or "wiped". It can remain and cause conflicts after a fresh install. Members of this very forum have documented this occurrence. You do know that data can actually be recovered after it is deleted...don't you? So deletion doesn't necessarily permanently remove loaded data. I do realize the OS doesn't alter the physical mechanisms. But an electronic storage area can actually be altered permanently during the loading process.

Additionally, you basically agreed with me via tactical inference. By positing that you "may not void your warranty" if you cover your tracks by removing the beta OS and downgrading back to the supported OS you, in essence confirmed my warning. Would it have killed to you to agree with me and offer that same suggestion afterwards? LOL!

Ok. All done with this.

Verizon 9530

Last edited by XelhaBB; 01-16-2009 at 05:31 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Again, wrong.

I said "hogwash". Don't put words in my mouth, especially those you choose.

I don't agree with your misinformation about it causing "irrepairable [sic] damage", which is why I quoted that statement. And it won't void a warranty.

But you can believe the nameless untrained CSR at Verizon who is reading from the script he/she was given when asked about Beta OS. I'll speak from experience.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #13
Watoosy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm

First, let me say that I have learned more from Blackberryforums than other blackberry help sites. Thank you all for your help!

I did call Verizon and was directed to Verizon's page vzm.net and downloaded software upgrade. I followed directions and everything went fine when it stated software update complete (on my computer). I clicked finished and nothing happened. I waited about 5 minutes and my Blackberry did not show anything happening, so I disconneted it from the USB cable. Then it started to "update/initilize" It got to 93% and it stopped. I then got an error that not everything "initilized" But, when I go to Options/about, I confirmed I have v4.7.0.75. Since 7% did not intialized, should I try to download again? Thanks!!
Old 01-16-2009, 05:54 PM   #14
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

No, just pull your battery and reboot the BB.

Looks like you did ok, but in the future, leave the BB connected to the USB until it reboots completely. Early withdrawal of the USB cable can cause the OS upgrade not to complete.

If your device is working, you are fine.
Old 01-16-2009, 06:08 PM   #15
XelhaBB
CrackBerry Addict

I hate to perpetuate this disagreement. But I have to ask.

Why is it that Verizon support personnel are nameless, untrained, script readers who all give consumers "misinformation" and you are the unquestionable guru? Is there some bad blood or disgruntled ex-employee syndrome going on that I am unaware of? If that's the case then let it out brother because I have been blind-sided by your vehemence.

For the record, the individual I spoke to was a tech who has worked on several of my phones. He actually directed me to this website when I got my BB Storm. What I was warned of specifically was that beta OS versions are designed to run on other 9500 models and will, in his words exactly, routinely "nut up" a Verizon 9530. That must be an industry term. After my .65 nightmare, I discussed loading a beta OS with him. He showed me a bin piled full of various BB models and told me in words to the effect of:
"Don't dare do that. The owners of these phones did that and this is the end result. None of these will ever work right again."

.85 might be running just swell, according to you, in your phone. But I have seen numerous posts in this forum regarding terrible issues after beta OS installs. Maybe you are just the exception.

I don't dislike you JSanders. But I don't think I am crossing any line by extending a warning that was given to me by a carrier representative. Did I personally slight you in some manner?

Peace Out!

Verizon 9530
Old 01-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #16
roofus
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: PassP
Carrier: Bell
Thumbs up Daring

Quote:
JSanders, your euphemisms were analogous to calling me a liar. But lets just put that in the past. Let's say we have different opinions. You offer opinions for the daring owner. I merely offered an opinion for the less daring.

By using the term "factory wipe" I am referring to basically conducting a master reset and clearing the resident memory of all stored data. Much in the same manner you would reformat a computer hard drive. I will concede to you fully that I am not as proficient with cellular phones as I am with computers. But I feel you are incorrect in certain aspects. There is some digital information that can be written into an electronic storage sector of a phone or computer hard drive, that can actually persist even after either is reformatted or "wiped". It can remain and cause conflicts after a fresh install. Members of this very forum have documented this occurrence. You do know that data can actually be recovered after it is deleted...don't you? So deletion doesn't necessarily permanently remove loaded data. I do realize the OS doesn't alter the physical mechanisms. But an electronic storage area can actually be altered permanently during the loading process.

Additionally, you basically agreed with me via tactical inference. By positing that you "may not void your warranty" if you cover your tracks by removing the beta OS and downgrading back to the supported OS you, in essence confirmed my warning. Would it have killed to you to agree with me and offer that same suggestion afterwards? LOL!

Ok. All done with this.
Daring! Hmmmmm . . . I like that term. I like to think of my self as daring!!!

and I like using my bb without a net
Old 01-16-2009, 07:16 PM   #17
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:

Why is it that Verizon support personnel are nameless, untrained, script readers who all give consumers "misinformation" and you are the unquestionable guru? I
Sorry, I have a name, people here know me. I have no idea what tech you might have spoken with. And I was referring to your misinformation, not the tech. Your initial post above didn't quote anyone from Verizon.

Quote:
that beta OS versions are designed to run on other 9500 models
That too is hogwash. Or poppy****. If you want to term it a lie, again, your choice, your words. But it just ain't so. Beta OS releases are released for and by the model number; hence an upgrade for the 9530 gets the 9530 release--not that for a 9500. So, if you want to upgrade your 9530, you use the 9530 file; the 9500 gets a 9500 file and so on. If your tech wants to load a 9500 OS on a 9530, that is his dare. I wouldn't do it.

Quote:
.85 might be running just swell, according to you
.85 is old now.

Quote:
"Don't dare do that. The owners of these phones did that and this is the end result. None of these will ever work right again."
He or whomever has a lot to learn on maintaining a BlackBerry. Other than those with hardware damage and moisture damage, I am betting each one is savable. What a waste. He should learn how here.

Quote:
But I don't think I am crossing any line by extending a warning that was given to me by a carrier representative.
I'm just correcting the misstatements made here.

Quote:
Did I personally slight you in some manner?
Not at all, other than trying to put your words in my mouth that I called you a liar. That did offend me. I don't think you are lying; I believe you have been fed some misinformation and are repeating it here. What one knows and what one hears are two different things.

Keep it cool. We're just hear to help.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:37 PM   #18
vothelo
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: Changes weekly
Carrier: 9000 Unlocked AT&T, Unlocked 8310 on Telcel (Mexico), Unlocked 8320 as backup. Storm on VZW

I've been a member a long time and rarely post, but I just couldn't resist...but to have the audacity to be a member since Dec. 2008, obviously new to BB's and yet feel like you know more than a well known and respected mod with 32,000+ post count...wow...what a way to make friends! I'm running a bold on 217, a storm on .85, all ¨beta¨ releases, and only once did I ever run into any problems...which I resolved by reading through the thousands of helpful posts and guides available to all of us.

Take a pill and just realize that there are alot of people here who know ALOT about BB`s....read and you too soon enough will be able to do an upgrade without any issues whatsoever...and hogwash on your warranty claim...give me a break.

Regardless, best of luck...I'm sure even after your dubious intro you will still find everyone here willing to help you out...just have to ask.

Last edited by vothelo; 01-16-2009 at 09:42 PM..
Old 01-16-2009, 10:55 PM   #19
nickp
Thumbs Must Hurt

If you do an OTA update, do you have to re-do the BES enterprise activation or will the restore take care of it ?

Thanks
Old 01-16-2009, 11:10 PM   #20
dpeters11

I know it wasn't on the storm, and technically didn't damage the phone hardware itself, but haven't there been beta releases before that fried SIM cards? Or did that just basically write bad data to the card, not "fried" in the normal hardware sense?
Closed Thread