Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
atuarre
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon
Default Case for Blackberry Bold

Please Login to Remove!

I am searching for a case for my Blackberry Bold. Also, a screen cover that is pretty good that does not involve any wet liquid to be applied to the service. While I do not doubt RIM has built a very durable phone, after hearing some horror stories, I would rather not take the chance, and my experience with Invisishield, or the other brand name that is sold is that the screen has all these anomalies after application.

I want a case that is made out of silicone or rubber that does not attract dust or grit. The Blackberry holster seems to attract a lot of this. I want to avoid plastic or acrylic cases because they will scratch the bezel. My iPhone is proof of this. If you have any good recommendations please let me know. Thanks
Old 01-13-2009, 12:12 PM   #2
UMRebel

Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T

The Case-Mate Smart Case is excellent. The case covers the keyboard and includes a seperate "peel & stick" screen protector. For me, the keyboard is actually easier to use with the case on. The case does cause the trackball to be recessed a little, but after a few days use I got used to it. The case is also not difficult to put on and remove as I take it off every night to place my Bold in my charging pod. It does, however, attract dust and lint as it is made from a rubber material similar to the OEM skins, but the way I look at it is that at least it's getting on the case and not in my Bold. All you have to do is take a wet cloth or paper towel and wipe the case down. I'm not sure you'll find one made out of silicone or rubber that doesn't attract any dust. This case is definitely the best one I have found and I've tried a lot. It comes in several different colors and can be found on ebay or at case-mate.com.
Old 01-13-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
dbdynsty25
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Bold
Carrier: At&t

As for screen protectors...the Crystal version I ordered from Boxwave.com have been fantastic. I've been buying screen protectors from them since the Treo 600. Fast service, and a nice product. For touchscreen devices I recommend the anti-glare. They are fantastic at reducing glare and fingerprints. For the Bold, I definitely go Crystal though since I'm not touching the screen all the time.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 PM   #4
Brad4d

Model: 8310
PIN: This is BB Fourms Not eHarmony.
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

Wirelessly posted

How is the Bold Skin from RIM working for everyone? Not too bulky?
Old 01-13-2009, 06:20 PM   #5
Albundy

PIN: 555-1234
Carrier: telstra

I've used the Piel Frama case on two blackberries now, pearl and 9000. good protection for the phone and the trackball - black, leather, hand made in Spain. The flap covers the screen and kb and locks the phone
Old 01-13-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
dranderson918

Carrier: ATT

I wanted a case that was a little more sophisticated and would also protect my wonderful BB Bold. So I opted for the napa leather case and holster by case-mate. I also added the privacy screen protector (which I have no idea how I lived w/o it previously) now everyone that wants to pry into my business sitting next to me thinks I'm crazy because as they look over seeing me type away on my BB all they see is a black screen, lmao. If you get a chance check it out:

It is a little pricey, but well worth the investment for a beautiful and exception device. I haven't experienced any issues with lint or the dust attraction yet, but will keep you informed!!!
Old 01-14-2009, 07:17 AM   #7
B-17 Pilot
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: BOLD
Carrier: AT & T

I use the rubber skin case from Otter. It is easy to take off in case of a remove battery re-boot and seems to not collect dust at all! I also just use a screen protector that lays over the screen and works great. Don't recall the brand name.

Mike
Old 01-14-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
estabulla

Model: 9700

I went for the Fortte leather sleeve. I love it. In fact I use it more often than the leather holster that came with the Bold.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:37 PM   #9
samwtaylor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dranderson918 View Post
. . . So I opted for the napa leather case and holster by case-mate. . .
Have you had any problems with the phone falling out of the holster? i had this case for my iPhone and it fell out fairly easily.

I am currently using an Otterbox for my bold, which certainly protects it but definitely adds a lot of bulk to the phone.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:41 PM   #10
atuarre

Model: 9550
Carrier: Verizon

All,

Thanks for your input and the time you took to reply to my question. I am mulling over what case I want to get at this time. Definitely need to protect my Bold. I am surprised I have not done anything to damage it yet.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:20 PM   #11
lreyes

Carrier: Orange

I use the screen protector from invisible shield - Iused this on my previous blkberry - the pearl as well and no scratches yet
I use the pocket that it came with as nothing else has taken my fancy yet!!
Old 02-21-2009, 09:28 PM   #12
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Has anyone tried the 3-pair skins from AT&T? They come in Blue, Red, and White 3-pair and have the cutouts for the drop-in charger. Saw them today in their store - $29.95

Edit: these cases are from Body Glove

Last edited by whsbuss; 02-21-2009 at 10:59 PM..
Old 02-21-2009, 10:58 PM   #13
lazmorph

Thumbs up

I use Otterbox Defender for my case and BodyGuardz screen protector for the LCD.
Old 02-22-2009, 06:37 AM   #14
whitecollar
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: At&t US

I use the Vaja Case and really like it. It's very snug and protective. I put pictures of it in the hardware forum.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/hard...-take-2-a.html
Old 02-24-2009, 03:07 AM   #15
JGrams

PIN: 249FE5DC
Carrier: T-Mobile

I just use the basic OEM Silicone Skin in White from AT&T with a universal screen protector that i cut to size for the bold.
My Feedback Thread
Old 02-24-2009, 08:23 AM   #16
arcurlyq
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8300

+1 on the Boxwave screen protectors. They are reusable (so if you get some grime on them, it's just a matter of washing, drying, and sticking back on) and they cover the ENTIRE screen. Since my BB spends most of its time either sitting on my desk or tucked away in my purse, I use the Seido hard cases.

These cases are awesome if you're like me and shove your BB in a purse, your jacket pocket, or are prone to dropping it. The cases are hard and formed, but have a slightly rubberized texture that makes the phone easier to grip. It adds a bit of bulk but not enough to make a difference. Combine one of these cases with a full screen protector and your BB is well protected.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:27 AM   #17
arcurlyq
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
Has anyone tried the 3-pair skins from AT&T? They come in Blue, Red, and White 3-pair and have the cutouts for the drop-in charger. Saw them today in their store - $29.95

Edit: these cases are from Body Glove
First, they are A LOT cheaper online. Never buy accessories from the AT&T store. I have used these on my previous Curve and didn't like them. They seemed very flimsy and didn't seem to offer much protection. I like the Seido hard and hybrid cases MUCH better. Seido now makes colored cases so you can add a bit of flair to your phone.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM   #18
whsbuss
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9800

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcurlyq View Post
First, they are A LOT cheaper online. Never buy accessories from the AT&T store. I have used these on my previous Curve and didn't like them. They seemed very flimsy and didn't seem to offer much protection. I like the Seido hard and hybrid cases MUCH better. Seido now makes colored cases so you can add a bit of flair to your phone.
You're right. I found them at $19.99 online and I never considered buying them at AT&T. I was wondering since they had the drop-in charger contacts cut out they would fit in the charger, but someone said NO. There's a video on Youtube by a crackberry'er who said they where less flimsy than the OEM skins.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:19 AM   #19
arcurlyq
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whsbuss View Post
You're right. I found them at $19.99 online and I never considered buying them at AT&T. I was wondering since they had the drop-in charger contacts cut out they would fit in the charger, but someone said NO. There's a video on Youtube by a crackberry'er who said they where less flimsy than the OEM skins.
Yeah, I've just never been a huge fan of the skins. I bought some for my Curve about a year ago and returned them within a few days. They look sort of cheesy and didn't offer much protection (IMO). I really do love the Seido cases. The hybrid case is the nicest if you don't want any color. The front is clear plastic that's virtually invisible and the backing is a nice firm rubber material that makes it easier to hold onto the phone. For my Bold I got a Seido colored case (Burgandy) and really like it. Adds a bit of character to the phone and is easy enough to remove for periodic cleaning.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:25 AM   #20
L3stat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: SingTel

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMRebel View Post
The Case-Mate Smart Case is excellent. ... It does, however, attract dust and lint as it is made from a rubber material similar to the OEM skins...
I was hoping the Smart Case wouldn't, given they've described it as not sticking to fabric. One question, how do the buttons feel with the case covering on it? Do you lose a lot of the tactile feedback? I love the Bold, but do wish the buttons have more feedback like my old 8707.
Closed Thread