Closed Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 12:34 AM   #1
djfat

Model: 8310
PIN: N/A
Carrier: rogers
Default Changing ROM's

Please Login to Remove!

Is it posiable to change rom's from ATT to Rogers??? Where would i be able to find it?? Will it lock the phone to Rogers or will it still be locked to ATT???

Thanks
Old 04-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #2
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Changing OS's on the Blackberry doesn't lock or unlock the device. If it's locked to AT&T it will always be locked to AT&T unless you have it unlocked. You can get it unlocked inexpensively at HorizonWirelessOnline.com - Horizon Wireless, Canada’s Cellular Repair Center ß

Last edited by John Clark; 04-20-2008 at 12:39 AM..
Old 04-20-2008, 07:02 AM   #3
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

but even after having it unlocked, the spalsh screen will STILL show the original carriers logo.
Old 04-20-2008, 05:24 PM   #4
djfat

Carrier: rogers

thats fine i just need it to change to the rogers software so, its easier to use. Where would i be able to get the rom? Is it the one from Blackberry.com under rogers? If so i'v installed it as per Blackberry.com's info but how do i know its been updated??
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

Why would changing it to Rogers software make it easier to use?
Old 04-20-2008, 05:27 PM   #6
greggebhardt
No longer Registered.

Model: 9000!
PIN: NOT!

Look under Options, About and it should give you the version of the OS
Old 05-21-2008, 10:17 PM   #7
smurfy71

Carrier: Rogers

I too am curious, can you change the os from ATT to Rogers just by downloading and installing the rom? Or is it more complicated then that?
Old 05-21-2008, 10:42 PM   #8
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

You can load any carrier version of OS you want as long as its compatible with your device. You can't load a 8300 OS on a 8320 but you can load any 8320 OS on any 8320.

I don't know why you guys keep calling it a ROM. They are called OS for blackberry. I think on windows mobile are consider ROMs.

And yes its that simple. Just delete the vendor file first before you plug your BB in. You can search and find all about it.

1) Download new OS
2) Install said OS
3) delete vendor file here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
4) plug in BB and let it update

5) Done in about 30 mins
Old 05-21-2008, 11:32 PM   #9
smurfy71

Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Concept View Post
You can load any carrier version of OS you want as long as its compatible with your device. You can't load a 8300 OS on a 8320 but you can load any 8320 OS on any 8320.

I don't know why you guys keep calling it a ROM. They are called OS for blackberry. I think on windows mobile are consider ROMs.

And yes its that simple. Just delete the vendor file first before you plug your BB in. You can search and find all about it.

1) Download new OS
2) Install said OS
3) delete vendor file here C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader
4) plug in BB and let it update

5) Done in about 30 mins
Thanks,
I just came over from a Treo 750, so yes ROM is the word used in that world. It is also very difficult to change the carrier specific OS on windows devices.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:38 PM   #10
hindsey1026

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Wirelessly posted (VZW Curve 8330)

I don't understanf how it's beneficial to change from one carrier's OS to another. Can someone please enlighten me?
Old 05-22-2008, 12:41 AM   #11
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I am thinking that djfat may want to switch his vendor theme, not the OS. Or maybe I don't understand him either ...
Old 05-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

All of the software is written by RIM, and tested and distributed by the carriers. The only thing different from one to the other is the vendor specific theme.

It is very, very easy to put the vendor themes onto any BlackBerry.

I think jsntrenkler is correct that the OP wants to use a different theme. The handheld OS released by one vendor is not "easier" to use than the OS released by any other vendor.
Old 05-22-2008, 08:36 AM   #13
Concept
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8320
Carrier: T Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by hindsey1026 View Post
Wirelessly posted (VZW Curve 8330)

I don't understanf how it's beneficial to change from one carrier's OS to another. Can someone please enlighten me?
Some carriers always put out the latest OS when they are available. Others hold on to them and only put OS's with major updates and not minor bug fixes.

We'll take 4.5 OS for example. Its technically still in beta and unreleased to the public but can be found almost anywhere on the net with about 2 minutes worth of searching. First 4.5 was 4.5.0.10 (I think) had a lot of bugs but some carrier in Europe might think its ok to release. All carriers have the opportunity to put this same OS out but many won't because of the bugs. 4.5.0.17 was next and then on to 4.5.0.37. One carrier might put out 4.5.0.10 while others might wait until 4.5.0.37. You can load any of them on your phone and one might provide some extra features that the others don't. So if you want the extra feature and can deal with the bugs than by all means load it up. If your the "gotta be ultra stable OS" type guy, just wait until the same OS get released on your native carrier. Might be a few weeks, months or never before it gets released to your carrier.

As far as changing themes, there's probably a million themes available for any BB device. Just search and see what you like. Some free, some $5 or so and many from different carriers. In my opinion the different carrier themes offer nothing more than different colors, fonts and icons. But in the end a zen theme is the same as any other zen, same for today themes.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:51 AM   #14
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

Thanks for the beta update. We are trying to keep ALL beta discussion in the new "Beta you then me" forum.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:12 PM   #15
jhickm

Model: Bold
Carrier: Optus
Default Vendor Theme

Hey Guys,
Just thought that i would add in the fact that majority of firmwares that are downloaded from the blackberry site actually contain every vendors theme, which means if you know how to do it you can load an AT&T theme on a vodafone handset using the vodafone firmware

Just a fact i thought to share

Closed Thread