Old 06-09-2008, 11:37 PM   #1
cell_gruz12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 0000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Rogers
Default Blackberry 8120-Rogers

Please Login to Remove!

I am strongly thinking about getting the new 8120 that was just released to Rogers a week ago. But before I make the final decision, I wanted to ask final questions.

1. Is the 8120 at Rogers updated with the most recent OS 4.5? Then it would be newer than the current Rogers curve right?

2. How bad is the SAR rating on the 8120? I read it's like 1.228 which is on the high side along with curve which is worse at 1.52 (one of the highest in today's cellphone market). What difference does it make from other cellphones such as 0.7-0.-9 level?

3. The new iPhone 3g has just been announced and Rogers website says, "Something really big is coming July 11" already advertising. I am strongly thinking of waiting for this but am turned off by Rogers data plan. Even if they bring a new data plan, I am going to have to pay around $20-$35 more on average a month even if I had the unlimited $15 add on 8120.

With these questions in mind, what do you guys suggest I do?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:38 PM   #2
cell_gruz12
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 0000

Sorry, I meant to post this on 8100 page.
Old 06-09-2008, 11:43 PM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

1. both are running 4.5 which is the newest BB OS. the difference between the curve 4.5 and pearl 4.5 is just hardware differences.

2. not sure about the SAR

3. i dont think apple will release the iphone for CDMA as they signed a contract with ATT for CARRIER SPECIFIC devices (iphone) but i may be wrong

it all depends on coverage in terms of what you want. if you are interested in good prices and coverage (depending on your area) i can get you a great deal with sprint pm or PIN me if your interested
Old 06-10-2008, 04:53 AM   #4
smurfy71

Model: 8310

I called Rogers tonight to make a change to my account and they are advertising the iphone on their voice system. Rumor has it new data packages are coming too with the release of the iphone and BB Bold.
The unlimited package you speak of is just email and BB messanger, not internet usage.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:13 AM   #5
oakie
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: CERS!
Carrier: T-Mobile, Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by cell_gruz12 View Post
I am strongly thinking about getting the new 8120 that was just released to Rogers a week ago. But before I make the final decision, I wanted to ask final questions.

1. Is the 8120 at Rogers updated with the most recent OS 4.5? Then it would be newer than the current Rogers curve right?

2. How bad is the SAR rating on the 8120? I read it's like 1.228 which is on the high side along with curve which is worse at 1.52 (one of the highest in today's cellphone market). What difference does it make from other cellphones such as 0.7-0.-9 level?

3. The new iPhone 3g has just been announced and Rogers website says, "Something really big is coming July 11" already advertising. I am strongly thinking of waiting for this but am turned off by Rogers data plan. Even if they bring a new data plan, I am going to have to pay around $20-$35 more on average a month even if I had the unlimited $15 add on 8120.

With these questions in mind, what do you guys suggest I do?
1. yes and no. the curve will also be getting the 4.5 OS update within the next few weeks, provided there arent any huge issues that pop up.

2. SAR is simply the amout of radiation emitted from the phone while in use. the larger the SAR, the higher chance of getting a brain tumor... or so some people say.

3. the 11th is wednesday. you may as well just wait and pop in to your local Rogers outlet or Apple store and check out the iPhone before making a decision. the deal breaker for me was the lack of a physical keyboard... i couldnt type reliably without haptic feedback, and even though i dont type much on the phone, the virtual keyboard was just too wonky feeling for me to be able to live with. the lack of MMS also irked me. having a huge screen was nice, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankarlinski View Post
3. i dont think apple will release the iphone for CDMA as they signed a contract with ATT for CARRIER SPECIFIC devices (iphone) but i may be wrong
Rogers is a GSM provider in Canada, and was previously owned by Cantel and AT&T until Rogers Communications bought it out.
Old 06-10-2008, 05:24 PM   #6
Teacher7
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8310

I'm on Rogers too and you really need to be careful with thier contracts and the prices your getting
If your not looking at a data plan then the price of the phone to upgrade will sky rocket but you can still get it assuming your on a non data plan currently
If your getting a data plan then your gonna pay more as you said per month and it still doesnt get you very far.
Closed Thread