Old 08-02-2007, 01:54 PM   #21
jeffabcc
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7100simpleisbetter View Post
The Curve does not have GPS built-in, you will need a GPS Puck in order for it work. You can get them from lots of places including eBay. I have a Pearl and have been very happy with the Holux GPSlim 240, it is tiny and works great, except with Telenav because they have decided to "not support" users in their efforts to have freedom of choice in the hardware they buy. If you want to use Telenav or think you might want to use Telenav you should order the puck from them.

SIB
I have a VZW 8830 with a GPSlim 240 and a Telenav subscription. It all works great together.
Old 08-02-2007, 02:25 PM   #22
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertr View Post
stupid question... Does your phone have to be GPS enabled/have GPS service through your provider?

I have an 8300 (Curve). I'm pretty sure its GPS equipped, but i'm not currently paying for any GPS service through AT&T...
The 8300 is not GPS equipped. The 8800 is. You can buy a BT gps puck many places. Check the hardware section here for a start, or the GPS section.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:12 PM   #23
John Clark
BBF Moderator

PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millertr View Post
stupid question... Does your phone have to be GPS enabled/have GPS service through your provider?

I have an 8300 (Curve). I'm pretty sure its GPS equipped, but i'm not currently paying for any GPS service through AT&T...
This kind of thing doesn't surprise me. I walked by a Cingular/AT&T kiosk in the mall yesterday. I stopped in to look at the Curve. I was telling my buddy next to me that the 8800 has GPS and the Curve has no GPS but has a camera. The guy behind the counter kept telling me that the Curve had GPS on it too, and he'd used it. "It's a program called TeleNav right on the phone," he said. I tried to explain to him that it would work with a BT puck but he insisted, no, it has GPS built right in and he'd used it.

So, the long and short of it is, people go to the store and buy the device based on what these low-paid, untrained sales reps say. "Sweet, the Curve: it has camera and GPS!" I'd call it the weakest link in the mobile phone industry.

Last edited by John Clark; 08-02-2007 at 06:13 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 09:28 AM   #24
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Pearl
Carrier: T-Mobile

Here is a pic of a track.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bbshot.JPG
Views:	156
Size:	9.0 KB
ID:	8753  
Old 08-03-2007, 10:42 AM   #25
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

Regarding Bug Reports: you can post them here or open an issue on the homepage. Both is just fine with me. PM or E-Mail (can be found on the homepage) is possible as well, bot nor prefered, as I like those reports to be public (so that others can see a issue has already been reported and maybe add what they know about it).

I'll probably be able to work on it tomorrow, so expect a new version tomorrow.

I'm very much interested in feedback about the layout on devices other than the 8800: what works? what doesn't? what should be changed?

Thanks all for your interest and your testing.

Last edited by saua; 08-04-2007 at 12:16 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 11:00 AM   #26
SERB__DVB
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
PIN: 204FDD66
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/114)

Regarding Bug Reports: you can post them here or open an issue on the homepage. Both is just fine with me. PM or E-Mail (can be found on the homepage) is possible as well, bot nor prefered, as I like those reports to be public (so that others can see a issue has already been reported and maybe add what they know about it).

I'll probably be able to work on it tomorrow, so expect a new version tomorrow.

I'm very muxh interrested in feedback about the layout on devices other than the 8800: what works? what doesn't? what should be changed?

Thanks all for your interest and your testing.

Thnx suau for app i still have problem downloading this app i have 8100
try to download on my 8100 but file is not suported
I need file (.cod and .alx)

Where can i get this file

Thnx
Old 08-03-2007, 11:03 AM   #27
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

PIN: t low

Saua--thanks for being so open and helpful. You make it easy to use the application.

You could increase the type size of the text at the bottom of the window a wee bit and it would make me REALLY happy. Even if you had to add a third line so it would all fit.

Last edited by JSanders; 08-03-2007 at 01:15 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 12:46 PM   #28
test54
BlackBerry Master

Model: AAPL
Carrier: is Better than BB :)

good app, I used it alot over the last 2 days.

I dont understand how to export the data though. I save the track and click on export but it gives me: Non-Fatal Exception while exporting track: File system error

I agree with Jsanders though the type size is a little small on the 8800 but its great to see you working on this.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:23 PM   #29
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
good app, I used it alot over the last 2 days.

I dont understand how to export the data though. I save the track and click on export but it gives me: Non-Fatal Exception while exporting track: File system error

I agree with Jsanders though the type size is a little small on the 8800 but its great to see you working on this.
Test54, you have to go into the options page, scroll down the Export Directory, menu button, browse. Depending on the OS software of your phone, it may let you access your SD card, otherwise you just have to browse to an internal directory on your phone. Then ESC should save the option. Go back to options to be sure.

Once that is set, select the track to export and the files will appear in that directory. You then will probably have to use desktop manager to get them off of the phone. You might be able to email them to yourself.

Serb, see post #5?, I think, from me. Point your phone browser, not opera, to that address. It should download and install the application to your machine.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:55 PM   #30
test54
BlackBerry Master

ok got it saved on my SD card and works on my mac. I see a light blue line that shows my path on google earth. I had to use the .gpx files as the kml just zoomed to the area but showed nothing beyond that.

Too bad google earth cant show my path details, as the app itself does.
very cool though, i can show my daily travels or weekend hikes with it, thanks.
Old 08-03-2007, 03:13 PM   #31
dlpisgreat
Thumbs Must Hurt

With google maps, you have to check box the file that you used to bring up Google Earth. It is under the Temporary Places > {your file}. You should see it toggle.
Old 08-03-2007, 04:31 PM   #32
7100simpleisbetter
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8120
PIN: Cushion
Carrier: TMobile

Great app!!! All the basics work on my pearl. If you are interested in enhancements here are my suggestions, otherwise i will use the app regardless.

1. When I drive through a tunnel or lose GPS connectivity the tracking seems to stop with an Out of Service message on the screen and that is the end of the track. If there is a way to keep tracking going so that when GPS connectivity is reestablished it continues tracking that would be very nice.

2. I agree with John Clark, addin an additional line would be good. On the pearl everything runs together on the ui and spreading things out would be great.

3. Add a "Stop Tracking" or some way to end the tracking without starting a new track or Exiting and resetting the application completely.

I will continue to use and provide feedback. Again, thanks for your time in developing this program!!!

SIB
Old 08-03-2007, 08:09 PM   #33
SERB__DVB

What's my problem I have B/B 8100 and there is no way i can download this file
Can somebody help me please , when I try do download is asking me for

"Applications Loader Files (*.alx .*ali.)

Please help

OK....Problem Fix a just use browser and download the file and is working good

Last edited by SERB__DVB; 08-03-2007 at 08:18 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 08:15 PM   #34
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thanks for your suggestions.

Ad 1) I'm definitely planning for this. I've been hit by this befor and since I usually use the app "blind", I only find out when it's too late. At the moment there is a little hack that might get you going again: open the option screen and close it using OK, sometimes this reconnects

Ad 2) as I've mentioned before layout and font size are definitely on my TODO-List. I'll probably make it 2 or 3 lines, depending on the font size and resolution. I'll just have to find a way to make the layout stable (so that the position of each item doesn't change with the values displayed)

Ad 3) "stop tracking" is effectively executed when you open the tracks screen and select the currently recording track, it will then be displayed statically (i.e. no more positions updates will be done).

Regards
Old 08-03-2007, 08:22 PM   #35
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by SERB__DVB
What's my problem I have B/B 8100 and there is no way i can download this file
Can somebody help me please , when I try do download is asking me for

"Applications Loader Files (*.alx .*ali.)

Please help

OK....Problem Fix a just use browser and download the file and is working good
Sorry, I don't know too much about BlackBerry specific files. bbTracker is basically a pure Java application with no BB-specific code. I might look into creating/generating the necessary BB-files, but I don't know how long it will take. The fact that the BB-SDK is only available for Windows and I use Linux for all my development doesn't help either.

Meanwhile could you tell me how exactly you try to install?

The way I use (and the most succesfull around here as it seems) is to just navigate to the download page using the BlackBerry Browser on your device (not Opera or something else) and select the link to the JAR-File for the current version. Then it should ask your to install.

Last edited by saua; 08-17-2007 at 09:39 AM..
Old 08-03-2007, 08:46 PM   #36
SERB__DVB

Quote:
Originally Posted by saua View Post

Sorry, I don't know too much about BlackBerry specific files. bbTracker is basically a pure Java application with no BB-specific code. I might look into creating/generating the necessary BB-files, but I don't know how long it will take. The fact that the BB-SDK is only available for Windows and I use Linux for all my development doesn't help either.

Meanwhile could you tell me how exactly you try to install?

The way I use (and the most succesfull around here as it seems) is to just navigate to the download page using the BlackBerry Browser on your device (not Opera or something else) and select the link to the JAR-File for the current version. Then it should ask your to install.
Thnx saua i fix it by going to the link via browser and evrything is working good

=

One question do you have any user manual for this App how to use it

Last edited by SERB__DVB; 08-03-2007 at 08:50 PM..
Old 08-03-2007, 09:56 PM   #37
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

There's no user manual yet. And since this is (going to be) open source software that would be an excellent place for user contributions

No need to be able to program, just experiment and write down how to use it. I will probably open the wiki on the homepage to the public sometime, but I've got some setup to do until then. And if anyone feels the need to write some documentation until then, don't let me stop you, simply send it to me (email can be found at the homepage) and I'll publish it.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:40 PM   #38
wu-wei
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: A GADDA DA VIDA
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Well, I'm a lazy bum and haven't hiked or biked with this yet.

I did use it on my morning commute, and I already see that it has value for tracking mileage for a particular client - very handy indeed. I plan to export the track tonight and futz around with it on the googles earth thing.

Thanks for developing such a handy utility - I tried loading another one and just ran into lots of headaches.
Old 08-06-2007, 06:06 PM   #39
test54
BlackBerry Master

yeah i use it for hiking and keeping track of mileage even for walking the dog. Very good app, would love to see how it is used. I wish it would show the track data in google earth though.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:04 AM   #40
saua
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by test54 View Post
yeah i use it for hiking and keeping track of mileage even for walking the dog. Very good app, would love to see how it is used. I wish it would show the track data in google earth though.
You can! Export your tracks from the tracks-screen (be sure to set the directory to export to first in the options screen). Take the KML and import it into Google Earth. Works just fine.

The easiest solution to me is to export to a MicroSD card and put that into the card reader slot on my laptop, but it should also work if you export to the devices memory (then you'll need the Device Manager on Windows to get the file to your PC, which I can't help you with).
Closed Thread