BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 04:59 PM   #41
ttormamny
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

Please Login to Remove!

i really want one now. i wished blackberry told an extended battery for this phone
Old 10-17-2006, 07:15 PM   #42
walshb6413

Quote:
Originally Posted by stac
I did the OTA with the link (thanks!) - and tried to sign up for the 30 day trial, but it sent me to the store asking for credit card info, and not allowing me to select a free option... any thoughts??

Thanks,
Stac

I think I had to go through that as well, giving them the info etc... I had to checkout with a cart listing the free trial as $0.00 to get activated. Guess thats how they get customers that stay past 30 days... auto billing

But in seriousness, it's so cool. Like today, I needed gas... so I selected BizFinder, "Gas by price" and found the ARCO selling @ 2.39...the cheapest within 8 miles... amazing service.

I'll likely end up paying for at least one month... try it you won't be sorry!
Old 10-17-2006, 07:16 PM   #43
walshb6413

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttormamny
i really want one now. i wished blackberry told an extended battery for this phone

It lasts a hell of a long time with the standard battery! I keep the car charger in the glove box, but haven't needed it yet!
Old 10-18-2006, 01:39 PM   #44
jsf
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8820
Carrier: AT&T

Got my Holux 236, but thanks to the general sketchiness of GPS in Manhattan, I can't actually test it until this weekend (when I actually need it). I occasionally get satellite signal, but it drops almost immediately.
Old 10-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #45
Achilles

Talking Telenav

Ive been running the telenav program on my nextel phones for years and is a great mapping program. I go to 6-8 new locations daily in Arizona and use telenav to get there. When I was with nextel the gps receiver was built into the phone. Now that I am with Tmobile and the gps is seperated from the phone the battery life on the phone is alot better for obvious reasons. I use the Holux 240. Great product. If you dont want to spend hundreds or housands of dollars to outfit your vehicle this does a great job for $9.95 monthly....
Old 10-25-2006, 12:21 PM   #46
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmccarthy
what is the big hoo-hah for gps? do it the good ol' fashion way and go to the friggen gas station!

Nice one!
Old 10-25-2006, 01:31 PM   #47
tbrady

Model: 7290

I have been using the BT-539 unit (really small, loooong battery life, good sat pickup) and the TeleNav software. Works really well. Only "Con" I have is that Voice directions can not be delivered BT to your car kit or Headset. To a question above. You can still use your BT while using the software, but beware that the software "suspends" during the call and will miss any turning instructions. I have read a post where someone successfully combined a FM transmitter and the earphone jack to get it talking through the radio

Old 10-25-2006, 01:50 PM   #48
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrady
I have been using the BT-539 unit (really small, loooong battery life, good sat pickup) and the TeleNav software. Works really well. Only "Con" I have is that Voice directions can not be delivered BT to your car kit or Headset. To a question above. You can still use your BT while using the software, but beware that the software "suspends" during the call and will miss any turning instructions. I have read a post where someone successfully combined a FM transmitter and the earphone jack to get it talking through the radio

I have one of those casette adapters so I suppose if I plug it into the BB it might play through the radio using www.wayfinder.com. Have you ever had an issue and tried to email Telenav. They have ignored 4-5 emails I have send them.
Old 10-25-2006, 01:59 PM   #49
tbrady

Model: 7290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinsonddog
I have one of those casette adapters so I suppose if I plug it into the BB it might play through the radio using . Have you ever had an issue and tried to email Telenav. They have ignored 4-5 emails I have send them.
Their support (I have heard) is not that great. Their forum is well moderated through. Some of the techs walk the company line and tell you thinks won't work when they really mean that they won't support it. I have the Pearl using it on Cingular. One of the moderators said it would not work (BS). I loaded the software OTA (it picked the correct 8100 software) and then signed up on their website saying I was on Cingular with a 7100g. everything has worked great.

I like the idea of the cassette trick, if only they could figure a way to wire a CD
Old 10-25-2006, 03:40 PM   #50
maximo

hey walsh i was wondering. Lets say im driving through a rural part of the state like the moutains of vermont where T-mobile gets very little service.... I know I have a GPS receiver but thats only pinpointing my position. With that said, will the BB maps lag due to the lack of reception?

Im still thinking whether to buy a Garmin Nuvi 350 or use my pearl. A lot of my friends love their Nuvis.... so Im just trying to be different
Old 10-25-2006, 04:31 PM   #51
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximo
hey walsh i was wondering. Lets say im driving through a rural part of the state like the moutains of vermont where T-mobile gets very little service.... I know I have a GPS receiver but thats only pinpointing my position. With that said, will the BB maps lag due to the lack of reception?

Im still thinking whether to buy a Garmin Nuvi 350 or use my pearl. A lot of my friends love their Nuvis.... so Im just trying to be different
Yes that is true. I am very impressed with www.wayfinder.com and how fast the maps keep up. For Spot the maps don't render as fast. BB Maps uses scalable vector maps which is the fastest, but no dynamic routing as far as I know. For all BB's you need reception, unlike some of the other devices where you can insert a 1GB card with the maps on them.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:33 PM   #52
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbrady
I like the idea of the cassette trick, if only they could figure a way to wire a CD
What are the voice controls on Telenav? Can you change the number of prompts and the vol? Wayfinder is giving me warnings at 1, 1/2 and 1/4 miles. A bit much, unless I am trying to annoy my 12 year old , and the only choice is to turn vol off entirely.
Old 10-27-2006, 11:15 AM   #53
beernutz14

Tried it with my friends Holux GpSlim and it worked great it updates quick and even tells you how fast your travelling very cool
Old 12-13-2006, 07:16 AM   #54
bakerman

Will someone please tell me how to install sometype of GPS on my pearl as BBMaps dont work in the UK. Ive been on the web and cant find anything. Im getting more and more frustrated trying to get gps to work on this thing.
thanks in advance.

Last edited by bakerman; 12-13-2006 at 09:11 AM..
Old 12-13-2006, 01:12 PM   #55
geomc

Carrier: Cingular

bakerman, I don't know if this helps you or not. I subscribed to Telenav with Cingular for $9.95/mo and purchased their bluetooth GPS receiver. Works great, with sound prompts including street names. Also has a biz finder capability and a toll free no. you can call to input the address you want if you don't want to type it in. Updates directions when you take a wrong turn. Good luck.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #56
walshb6413

Bakerman:

Found this software for UK use (Free)

Blackberry GPS Tools - Spot, Free Games Downloads, Software Downloads and Downloads for Mobile Phones at CNET.co.uk

You'll still need a bluetooth GPS unit, and signal of course.
Old 12-14-2006, 03:44 AM   #57
bakerman

Thanks for that mate, downloading now
Old 12-14-2006, 04:31 AM   #58
bakerman

OK, Loaded it fine get "uncaught exception:Unauthorized attempt to attach to this application"
Any ideas?
Old 12-14-2006, 09:04 AM   #59
blakeatl
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: T-mobile

Just my opinion....Spot sux. BBMaps works great as well as Telenav. I use Telenav and will vouch for it.
Old 12-14-2006, 10:36 AM   #60
dsexter

Model: 9000
Carrier: att

is anyone putting map information on sd microdisks? Love the concept of pearl as gps, but the only places I would need it are so rural , little to no edge network connection.
Closed Thread