Closed Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 11:22 AM   #1
gloaming

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: cingular
Unhappy OS upgrade crashed my Pearl!

Please Login to Remove!

After days of trying unsuccessfully to install SP 1/2, I went ahead and installed the latest Pearl OS. After an hour of sitting around watching the software install last night, I gave up and went to bed. This morning, there was a message that the installation had been interrupted--and now my Pearl won't start AT ALL--there's just a blinking red light on it. I've tried to restart the installation, but the desktop manager insists that my Blackberry isn't connected to the computer AT ALL. Buying this piece of junk was a huge mistake! I miss my Treo!
Old 06-22-2007, 11:40 AM   #2
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

Try this 1st:

How do I wipe the BlackBerry using Jl Cmder? - BlackBerryFAQ

If that does not work then do this:

What to do next if Jl Cmder will not connect and wipe - BlackBerryFAQ
Old 06-22-2007, 11:51 AM   #3
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

What did you have trouble installing? Desktop Manager SP1 or SP2? What version of Desktop Manager are you using to load the 8100?

Many times the Desktop Manager will say disconnected but if you run Application Loader it will detect the USB: PINxxxxxx and will reload the OS without having to use JL_Cmder. However, use JL_Cmder and follow the instructions Lunkhead gave you and you should be back in business.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:34 PM   #4
gloaming

I tried wiping and don't know if it worked or not (how do you tell?) but followed the second set of instructions as well. It takes me to the apploader, I hit next, select usb-pin: unknown, hit enter....and the message reads "The Blackberry Desktop Software does not have Blackberry Device Software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Please contact your system administrator." I've reinstalled everything but the Device Manager. What should I do????

Also, I tried installing various versions of SP 1 and 2. Each time, the downloaded application doesn't look like anything my computer recognizes, like if you download a file that doesn't have an application associated with it. I double-click, a dos box opens up for a split second, and that's it. No installer, etc. I've been wrestling with this Pearl for several hours a day, a whole week, and I'm about to chuck it out the window. Tell me it gets better.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:37 PM   #5
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Try downloading and reinstalling the device OS software to the PC again. Then just to be on the safe side, delete the vendor.xml file.

When the device has been wiped it will display 3 icons inside a circle with a slash and an error code like 507 or sometimes 543.

To be fair to the BB, it sounds like you have problems with your computer, not necessarily your BB.
Old 06-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #6
gloaming

When I followed the instructions to wipe the BB, it still remains dark with a red blinking light. It won't turn out at all--completely unresponsive. I've tried reinstalling EVERYTHING to no avail (and have deleted the vendor.xlm file).

It's possible something's wrong with my laptop, but I just bought it new a month ago or so and have only put MS Office on it. I did, however buy this Blackberry Pearl used off of ebay seven days ago. It operated just fine until last night. 8(
Old 06-22-2007, 01:50 PM   #7
John Clark
BBF Moderator

My point is that if you can't install Desktop Manager to your computer then something is wrong. Something on the computer is blocking the installation.
Old 06-22-2007, 02:27 PM   #8
gloaming

I can install the Desktop Manager that came with the BB, but that's it. I don't know what is making my Pearl not turn on at all. Why the flashing red light? I took the battery out, but when I put it back in I just got the flashing red light.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM   #9
teenhype90210

Carrier: T-Mobile

i just tried the steps above and the first one didnt work, but when i tried the second one from the dos prompt it did work. i had the flashing red light on my pearl and it wouldnt turn on or anything and this fixed it.
Closed Thread