Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 04:19 PM   #1
xangeleyes

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange
Default Blackberry Virgin, please help

Please Login to Remove!

I've just bought 2 Blackberrys 8320 & 8520. It was an impulse buy and I know I should have looked into this a bit more.

Now, I've looked online and some people are talking about a Blackberry Desktop Disk - do I need these with both?

Also, I've asked for the IMEI numbers, one is unlocked, the other is locked onto Orange. So when I get this, do I call Orange and ask about it, and for the other, do I call the network it used to be with? Or just the network I will be using? Making sense?

I've asked for PIN numbers too because I don't want to be stuck trying to change passwords etc and find that it's pin/password protected.

I guess all of this would be easier to just reset the whole thing to factory mode.....or is that too much hassle?

Thanks in advance. I shall be using your site a lot I think lol

EDIT: I have been told that I wouldn't be able to get Whatsapp on the 8320 because of some kind of software, can I just download this to then get whatsapp?

Last edited by xangeleyes; 01-17-2012 at 04:24 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 04:48 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Blackberry Virgin, please help

Welcome.
  • You can get the Desktop Software
    here: BlackBerry Desktop Manager Downloads - BlackBerryFAQ
  • Your IMEI numbers are located on the white sticker under the battery, on the white sticker on the box, and at Options > Status. Orange won't unlock devices they didn't sell. Check the unlocking service right here in this forum: BlackBerry Forums Support Community - Unlock Your BlackBerry!!
  • The device PINs are located in the same places as above. They are NOT used in relation to a password and are unrelated to a security lock.
  • You can download WhatsApp from AppWorld when you are up and running.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:53 PM   #3
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

According to Whatsapp support you can install it on any device running OS 4.5 or higher. You can download the latest OS version for the 8320 here: http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...ilanguage.html
Download it to your pc and use Desktop Manager to install it. This process will wipe your 8320 of all data so do a backup with Desktop Manager first, then restore your data.

Once you're sure you've got OS 4.5 on your BlackBerry you can download Whatsapp provided you have a BlackBerry data plan. No BlackBerry data plan, no downloads.

You can download BlackBerry Desktop Manager from RIM's site:
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software
This is better than installing from any included software disk that may have come with the BlackBerrys as you get the latest version. Sometimes those disks can be old and contain an outdated version.

The IMEI and PIN numbers are on the BlackBerrys themselves. Simultaneously press the Alt key, the Shift key, and H. The screen will have These numbers as well as the OS version (listed under App Version).

If you bought these devices used and they're password protected you can simply enter the wrong password in 10 times and they'll do a self-wipe/reset.

edit: JSanders beat me to it, and said it better.
Old 01-17-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
xangeleyes

Model: 8520
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Orange

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
Once you're sure you've got OS 4.5 on your BlackBerry you can download Whatsapp provided you have a BlackBerry data plan. No BlackBerry data plan, no downloads.
Thank you very much both of you - what is a Blackberry Data Plan?

As it wont have any of his details on this phone, do I still need to make a back up copy? Or will it wipe EVERYTHING, like software etc?

erm...for the Blackberry Desktop manager, am I downloading the 'Software For BlackBerry Desktop Software (Windows OS)' or the 'Software For BlackBerry® Curvexxx8482; 8320 smartphone'

I did tell you I was new to this lol.
Thank you, I appreciate this a lot!

Last edited by xangeleyes; 01-17-2012 at 05:29 PM..
Old 01-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #5
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Please speak to your carrier regarding the BlackBerry data plan.