Old 11-09-2011, 09:57 PM   #1
Queeniepoos

Model: 9300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2
Unhappy BB9300 Trackpad & keypad only work on charger

Please Login to Remove!

Hiya.
I'm new to the forum so hopefully I'm posting in the right place.
I bought a second hand 9300 curve which I was told kept switching off randomly. I thought it would just need a new battery or the OS reinstalling. I found that it actually didn't do that, but the keypad & trackpad will only work when the charger or usb lead is plugged in. While it's hooked up everything works perfectly. I discovered from the indicaters that there had been some water damage, so I properly cleaned it, dried it out for a couple of days in silica gel & replaced the battery. As that hadn't helped, I wiped the phone & reinstalled the OS (OS6). Still no change, so does anyone know what I need to do to fix the problem? I'm pretty handy with fixing phones but I just don't know what to do with this so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-09-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: BB9300 Trackpad & keypad only work on charger

Probably too late as the water damage is done.
Another recommendation is to take out the battery and put the BB (only) in a sealed bag of brown rice for 3-5 days.
Probably won't help as the damage is done once it is turned on.
Sorry...
Old 11-10-2011, 05:53 AM   #3
Queeniepoos

Unhappy Re: BB9300 Trackpad & keypad only work on charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Probably too late as the water damage is done.
Another recommendation is to take out the battery and put the BB (only) in a sealed bag of brown rice for 3-5 days.
Probably won't help as the damage is done once it is turned on.
Sorry...
The water damage inside was minimal, I've seen much worse that still worked. As I said, I already put it in silica gel for a couple of days so there isn't any moisture left hiding & I can't find any signs of corrosion/damage on the board or anywhere else. I just can't figure out why it works perfectly when on a charger or usb lead but the trackpad & keypad instantly stop working when the charger or usb lead is disconnected.
Old 11-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Are you sure the battery connection is ok.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Queeniepoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsac View Post
Are you sure the battery connection is ok.
The battery is powering the screen & OS, etc. but obviously not the trackpad & keypad so it's at least partly functioning.
Old 11-12-2011, 10:55 AM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Even a a little dampness in the wrong place can cause havoc with an electronic device. Replacing the battery before it is adequately dried out causes major problems. In our FAQ, we recommend removing the battery immediately and placing the device in a bag of uncooked rice for 3 to 5 days before attempting to restart it, as NJ said above.

The problems you are having are indicative of water damage. In many cases, what you see now is only the beginning of problems to come. My advice is to return it to the seller and get your money back.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 11-13-2011, 10:14 AM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queeniepoos View Post
Hiya.
the keypad & trackpad will only work when the charger or usb lead is plugged in. While it's hooked up everything works perfectly.

I still cannot understand why everything works ok as you report when plugged into the charger or powered via the USB cord. While I agree with the others, unless your not quite accurate on the pad working "perfect" i'm still leaning toward the possibility of an App or OS issue. But who knows, the Blackberry does do some strange things.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:32 AM   #8
Queeniepoos

Quote:
I still cannot understand why everything works ok as you report when plugged into the charger or powered via the USB cord. While I agree with the others, unless your not quite accurate on the pad working "perfect" i'm still leaning toward the possibility of an App or OS issue. But who knows, the Blackberry does do some strange things.
Oh yes the Blackberry is a strange beast, alright! The water damage has been properly sorted & was only the tiniest amount anyway. I've fixed 50-60 blackberries with various faults including water damage before so I'm not a total novice with such things. I assure you, the trackpad & keypad do work perfectly when plugged in but do not respond at all when disconnected. I thought the same, but having totally wiped the phone & installed a new OS, which obviously only has the factory issue apps on it, I still have the same problem. I've been thinking along the lines of a partial break in the circuit from the battery to the key/trackpad as the screen, OS & everything else is being powered but the key/trackpad only seem to recieve power from the mains/usb. I'm sure I'm on the right track, just clueless as to how to trace/test that circuit (unless it's as simple as replacing the battery contact pins).
Old 11-13-2011, 08:42 PM   #9
tsac
BlackBerry God

You could try disassembly and see if you can find out why. I have never seen a schematic of a blackberry so unless you have one it will have to be you just follow the connectors. Hopefully you can find a break or something not making contact. Good Luck. Let us know if successful.
Old 11-14-2011, 02:43 AM   #10
Queeniepoos

Quote:
You could try disassembly and see if you can find out why. I have never seen a schematic of a blackberry so unless you have one it will have to be you just follow the connectors. Hopefully you can find a break or something not making contact. Good Luck. Let us know if successful.
I've had this phone apart a few times now but not really specifically looking for that. I haven't got a schematic, there doesn't sem to be any available that have more than a few minor details on, so it's just educated guesswork! Thanks-I may well need that luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #11
sirgore

Model: 9000
Carrier: bold

I am also having a problem with the keys on my Blackberry bold 9000. The "End/Power" key will not turn it on or off, instead it will type the letters "n"; After every space bar there is a letter "n" and some other keypads also has the prefix "n"; Majority of the numeric keys display two alphabets unless I delete the last letter. The dot is not working. Some of the letters will also do the same thing. After cleaning the keypad it works normal for a while and starts again.Is this repairable or is the phone DOA?

Last edited by sirgore; 11-18-2011 at 03:02 PM..
Old 11-18-2011, 08:31 PM   #12
tsac
BlackBerry God

Not polite to hijack a post with a different question. Because your new I will offer a few things.

Did the BB get wet? How did you clean the keys? What did you use? If you used water or got it wet the chances are the keypad is beyond repair by now. The symptoms all point to a wet blackberry.
Old 11-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #13
Queeniepoos

tsac.
Feeling rather stupid! I assumed the worst & went through huge amounts of effort, frustration & brain-ache, all because I didnt try the simplest thing first! Couldn't find a fault on the board anywhere so I was still baffled. Although it looked new & perfect, in desperation, I replaced the battery contact block....! Next time I'm starting with lo-tech first just in case it IS the easy solution for a change!
Old 11-21-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Queeniepoos

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirgore View Post
I am also having a problem with the keys on my Blackberry bold 9000. The "End/Power" key will not turn it on or off, instead it will type the letters "n"; After every space bar there is a letter "n" and some other keypads also has the prefix "n"; Majority of the numeric keys display two alphabets unless I delete the last letter. The dot is not working. Some of the letters will also do the same thing. After cleaning the keypad it works normal for a while and starts again.Is this repairable or is the phone DOA?
I agree, it screams of liquid damage & it sounds ominous! You didn't say how you cleaned the keypad but I would personally dismantle it & clean carefully but thoroughly with isoproply alcohol (90+%) & a lint-free cloth. I'd also say it may benefit from a few days sealed in a ziplock bag with silica gel, although it's probably too late to help now. Be sure to lift off the white membrane & clean underneath there too, then replace the membrane with a new one. They cost peanuts from sites like ebay, but only buy a genuine oem product. Failing that, I think it may be a goner, sorry.
Closed Thread