Closed Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 08:33 PM   #1
andore junior

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Bell
Default 20 Blackberry Pearls = Worst Batteries Ever

Please Login to Remove!

Im hoping the title gets some attention here.

Quick history, Ive sold Blackberry for Rogers and Bell in Canada for over 5 years. I used all the models and currently use the Pearl. I love it, its a great phone, one of the best Ive had...when it works.

Between me and my circle of friends that have gotten this phone, we have gone through 20 of them. All of them are mangled. The worst part is the battery will be good for weeks and weeks, no problems lasting 2-3 days and then all of a sudden will die after one call. From full to empty. Unplug the charger, one call, its dead. Unplug the charger, look away for ten seconds, dead.

Ive done firmware upgrades, ive tried different batteries, bt off, no apps running, content protection on/off, memory cleaning... everything.

Please tell me someone else is seeing these issues and has a solution.

Thanks
Old 12-30-2008, 12:50 AM   #2
adobrakic
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
Carrier: T-Mobile

I've never even heard of this issue.
My battery lasts me all day, and I text a lot (no internet-related..anything, and minimal calling.. i hate calling).

There are some 'special' batteries that you can buy, but it'll cost you. I think the website said the batteries last 170% more than the normal batteries (that means almost two text messages and then the phone dies -- i think..i suck at math)

If I find the site I saw this at, i'll post back here.

Also, I'm sure you know of these 'tips', but I'll post them anyway:

Quote:
xxx8226; Better switch off the Bluetooth feature if you do not need it. Bluetooth feature is nothing but the advantage of getting Internet connection without using wires. It has to utilize the radio signals through GPRS to transfer files. This transmission of data needs a lot of battery charge and therefore you are supposed to deactivate the Bluetooth option when you do not use this feature for transmitting data through Internet.

xxx8226; The brightness of screen is also a battery draining feature. When you have customized more level of brightness in your handset, it will consumes more battery power. It is recommended that to set optimum level of brightness for your mobile screen.

xxx8226; Avoid setting wallpapers and screen savers in your handsets. It has to consume power to display each time when you release the key lock in your mobile.

xxx8226; Reduce the ring tone volume. Optimum ring volume does not need more power.

xxx8226; Turn after adapter of Wi-Fi and 3G. Activate these options only when you want to use them.

Last edited by adobrakic; 12-30-2008 at 12:54 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 02:06 AM   #3
denguydj

Model: 8800
Carrier: T-MOBILE

Using the wrong charger will also do that
Old 12-30-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
skyman84
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: ask!
Carrier: O2 UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by denguydj View Post
Using the wrong charger will also do that
Yeah, I used to use a motorola charger on mine and it killed the battery, but using the proper BB one all works great.

I expect it could also be said that if you don't use the official BB car charger you also run the risk of killing your battery that way.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
kevinwska
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8530
Carrier: Sprint

Yeah all I can say is it sounds like
A) you are highly exaggerating
B) You guys must not take care of you BB

I've never had a cell phone ever that has those kind of battery problems and I've had some low grade phones.

Last edited by kevinwska; 12-30-2008 at 11:52 AM..
Old 12-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #6
tduffy
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8830
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I'm the BES Admin for a company that has over 60 BB Pearls and I've seen a total of 1 battery that has ever been replaced and I'm quite sure that user ruined the battery by having it plugged into a car charger all the time. After replacing it and telling the user to only plug into the charger when you absolutely have to, there have been no issues related to the batteries in these phones.

Trackballs on the other hand are a different story.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:28 PM   #7
rachamphetamine
BBF Moderator

Model: --
PIN: E SOL
Carrier: VZW

I'd suggest one of these: Seidio 1250mAh OEM Sized Extended Battery for BlackBerry Pearl 8130, Pearl 8120, Pearl 8110 - Blackberry Battery
Old 01-02-2009, 11:18 PM   #8
RealGrouchy

Carrier: Bell Mobility

kevinwska: what a thoroughly insulting and unhelpful reply. Just because you haven't experienced the problem doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I also had my battery suddenly drain on me today, for the first time (the "suddenly" part) in seven months. It was fully charged this morning, yet today I only had a couple short phone calls, and listened to some music, and the battery just died on me (luckily I was close to my charger--always the BB charger). Bluetooth are mobile network are off. No apps other than the default. I recently updated to Bell's newer firmware.

I guess I'll call Bell to try to get it resolved (assuming my battery recharges!)

- RG>
Old 01-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #9
coreyoli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: 305EF621
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I have never had this problem, I absolutely LOVE the battery life of my Pearl..

I text A LOT, call A LOT and always have BeeJiveIM, MySpace, and XBerry Live running in the background..

I have constant internet traffic on it, I always leave my bluetooth on, and receive huge amounts of texts from our dispatch office (firefighter)...

My battery is only down to about half when I go to bed usually around midnight...

As much as I love Windows Mobile I haven't found anything that is even close to the battery of my Pearl... I'm switching to a Curve tomorrow, hope that lives up to this as well...

Ohh.. I have the regular stock battery that came with my Pearl. I'm running VZW's 4.5 OS.

-Corey
Old 01-04-2009, 10:00 PM   #10
mudjunkie

Carrier: sprint

new to the blackberry i enjoy the phone but i am having some battery issues aswell i use about 20 text messages a day and approximantly 100 minutes of talktime a MONTH but the battery doesnt last long i bought a new one thinking that was the prob but i am unsure now one day it lasts all day and the next its dead in 20 minutes
Old 01-04-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
tprime
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: Tmobile

I've had 7100t ,8700g, 8100 and now a 8120. My wife has a 8100. I have a a number of different problems but never a battery problem. However some of my friends whom use the 8320 have had battery problems so I think it just depends on a persons use. The problem described above does seem extreme but my recommendation when you first experience a problem if it is still under warranty return it. I think an extended life battery is only necessary if you heavily use the phone and you need it. I charge my phone whenever I am home and I also have a car charger when necessary.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:04 PM   #12
frankb
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8900
PIN: Tellme your number, I'll tell you mine.
Carrier: T-Mobile Germany

I encountered a similar problems already 2 times, but I recognized the cause: I plugged my BB 8110 into the PC for replication and charging.
In the evening I switched off the PC but left the BB on the cable. Next morning it was fully drained, it needed half an hour before I was able to switch on the mobile network.
So my advice is: check your charger, try another one. Hth.
In all other situations the battery is not even the most powerful thing on earth (had a Nokia before, that had to be charged only once a week), but should be enough for 2 or 3 days, if bluetooth is switched off. With BT ON I have to load it over night, because it will not reach the end of day 2 without charging.
regards from germany
frank
Old 06-21-2009, 01:47 PM   #13
andore junior

Carrier: Bell
Default i guess i should have posted this 6 months ago

data service was on even when i wasnt subscribed to blackberry data... that will fix the problem right away

cheers to the one dude at bell that knew what he was talknig about

who wants an electric punch?
Old 06-21-2009, 10:42 PM   #14
david9962000
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9360
Carrier: at&t

Never had that problem either with mine.