Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 01:44 PM   #1
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8320
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Can't use Bluetooth w/ UMA

Please Login to Remove!

Maybe someone has had some luck because I am so frustrated. Since updating my 8320 to .180 I am no longer able to use Bluetooth haedsets while on UMA. With my original software I could use my headset on UMA but would have occasional dropped calls.

To maxamize the free calls with UMA I purchased a Bluetooth phone from At&t so I could answer my cell from any of my home phones. It worked great when I was not on UMA but on UMA I cannot even check my voicemail.

I think it is ridiculous to have to loose my bluetooth feature because of UMA. I realize that they share frequencies but come on. I want to be able to use bluetooth in my home office and get free calls. Who wants to hold a phone to their head for 6000 minutes a month?
Old 11-05-2007, 08:38 PM   #2
sgtcasey
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

edit

Last edited by sgtcasey; 12-24-2007 at 10:24 PM..
Old 11-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #3
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtcasey View Post
I have confirmed a few issues where using a Bluetooth headset would result in dropped UMA calls. The only suggestion I can offer is to try a different Bluetooth headset or stick to using the wired headset that came with the phone.

Dave
I have tried multiple headsets with no luck. What i want bluetooth the most for while at home is the At&t bluetooth phone so if I recive a call I can answer my cell from any phone in the house. It works great with edge but no luck with UMA. There is a serious problem with the the incapatability of bluetooth and UMA. I know I can use speaker phone and a wired set but it is broken if I cannot use a feature of the phone while on UMA.

UMA is a great feature that I bought into but it shouldn't cripple bluetooth. UMA is supposed to replace a home phone but I find myself running downstairs at a breakneck pace to make to my office for a call. I love my phone but I am not holstering to my underwear at night so I won't miss calls. That is where the bluetooth phone from at&t comes in. You pair it to the base and you can have 12 headsets spread out through the house. You can make and receive calls through your cell phone. The problem is I wanted to get free calls through UMA to cut down from my minutes.

Last edited by dentalrep; 11-05-2007 at 11:11 PM..
Old 11-06-2007, 09:25 AM   #4
ninja95
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8230

I am having the same problem with a Jawbone, Jabra X10, and 2 different Plantronics headsets. I went to .180 and the phone rebooted a few times while on a call with one of my bluetooth headsets that I had to go back to .171. Now I am getting dropped calls most of the time I am trying to use UMA and a bluetooth headset. I have done as sgtcasey suggested and now am having to use the wired one that came with the Curve. That AT&T phone dentalrep was talking about sounds really cool. Maybe after Tmo sorts this bluetooth issue out I will go out and find it and give it a try.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A

I hate to say it, but this is not an absolute problem with the OS. I have .180 and use a Jabra JX10 everyday with ZERO problems. It has much more to do with channel ID or outside interference on your WAP and/or Router perhaps.

I'm on a Linksys WAP without a problem, and it's not a TMO router either. I'm sorry for anyone having trouble, but it isn't really accurate to say the problem lies with the .180 upgrade.
Old 11-06-2007, 02:15 PM   #6
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I also have had this issue since going to .180, I would suggest going to .175 to see if you're able to achieve UMA stability while retaining bluetooth use. I am currently at .180 and will roll back to .175 this evening to see if that helps with the issues.

I have a Linksys WRT-300N at home running dd-WRT using WAP2 and WMM. When I use my stereo headset on UMA, it always drops immediately or it never even makes the call to begin with. When paired to my Jabra BT800 it works fine with UMA.

I used to be able to use the headset for about 20 minutes without a problem on .175.
Old 11-06-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

After a long conversation with T-Mobile I finally got my case #(4338143) for the bluetooth issues with UMA. They spoke with RIM and RIM needed to speak with me. The RIM employee stated that it is a known issue that they are aggressively addressing. It is NOT hardware or frequency related but rather a software problem. He also aknowledged that the .180 software worsened the problem. If it was hardware or frequency, then software wouldn't make a difference.

He also stated that if anyone else had similiar issues that they should call in. The more people that call in the higher it goes on their proirity list.
Old 11-06-2007, 10:46 PM   #8
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

I did a test today with my free time. I downgraded to .171 and I could actually check my voicemail with a bluetooth headset while on UMA. It was not perfect, and I did drop a few calls but I did have a 20 minute conversation without a drop.

I then upgraded back to .180 and did a clean install. Connected to UMA and then paired my headset. I tried to call my voicemail and did not hear one word and got a call failed. I tried about 10 different times even after a battery pull, with no luck.

As a reminder, whne I am not on UMA I can talk for 8 hours on any of my bluetooth devices.
Old 11-07-2007, 04:37 AM   #9
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

Did you try .175 at all?
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM   #10
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalrep View Post
I did a test today with my free time. I downgraded to .171 and I could actually check my voicemail with a bluetooth headset while on UMA. It was not perfect, and I did drop a few calls but I did have a 20 minute conversation without a drop.

I then upgraded back to .180 and did a clean install. Connected to UMA and then paired my headset. I tried to call my voicemail and did not hear one word and got a call failed. I tried about 10 different times even after a battery pull, with no luck.

As a reminder, whne I am not on UMA I can talk for 8 hours on any of my bluetooth devices.
Does this test hold true with a regular BT headset (not the ATT handset you've mentioned)? This is definitely interesting that you get such a different experience across OSs.
Old 11-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #11
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
Does this test hold true with a regular BT headset (not the ATT handset you've mentioned)? This is definitely interesting that you get such a different experience across OSs.
I tested it out with a jabra JX10, Nokia bh800, and my Garmin 2820 while in my garage.

I tried .175 and I had the same problem as .180.
Old 11-09-2007, 01:45 AM   #12
squeakr

Carrier: AT&T & T-Mobile

Quote:
After a long conversation with T-Mobile I finally got my case #(4338143) for the bluetooth issues with UMA. They spoke with RIM and RIM needed to speak with me. The RIM employee stated that it is a known issue that they are aggressively addressing. It is NOT hardware or frequency related but rather a software problem. He also aknowledged that the .180 software worsened the problem. If it was hardware or frequency, then software wouldn't make a difference.

He also stated that if anyone else had similiar issues that they should call in. The more people that call in the higher it goes on their proirity list.
Glad to see that they are aware of and addressing the issues, but I have to disagree with your statement that if it was hardware or frequency related that software wouldn't make a difference. Just ask anyone that has perfomed an upgrade to WM5 or WM6 and see hown the same exact hardware reacts more stable and the environment of the device has better response and signal. Yes the hardware won't change, but the filtering or algorithm to arrive at the signal handling and handoffs could be improved or degraded therefor directly affecting how the hardware reacts (so yes software could affect how things are handled in the device). I had a I730 that came with Windows 2003se and the BT was unuseable on it (some said i was the hardware implementation on the device), but when Samsung released the WM5 upgrade the BT worked flawlessly afterward (it was a case of the software implementation not correctly being handled and this causing the hardware to e unusable, so it can happen both ways).
Old 11-09-2007, 10:46 AM   #13
whdigital
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
I tested it out with a jabra JX10, Nokia bh800, and my Garmin 2820 while in my garage.

I tried .175 and I had the same problem as .180.

Really interesting... I use a JX10 and it works fine on UMA with both .175 and .180. I'm sorry that your experiencing this problem. What router or WAP are you using?
Old 11-09-2007, 12:49 PM   #14
aerobb
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whdigital View Post
Really interesting... I use a JX10 and it works fine on UMA with both .175 and .180. I'm sorry that your experiencing this problem. What router or WAP are you using?
I am using a Moto HS850 headset with UMA and it works great. Some have said that changing the channel on your router will fix the problem. I havent had to change anything and have my router set to channel 11
Old 12-24-2007, 03:01 AM   #15
jeffro01
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: 2277C472
Carrier: At&t (Company)

I am having this exact problem, i have tried every channel in my router and no luck.

No matter what i do i can not make or receive calls while using a bluetooth headset and UMA. I am using a T-Mobile CURVE with 4.2.2.180 and a Motorola H680 headset.

Jeff
Old 12-24-2007, 05:01 AM   #16
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffro01 View Post
I am having this exact problem, i have tried every channel in my router and no luck.

No matter what i do i can not make or receive calls while using a bluetooth headset and UMA. I am using a T-Mobile CURVE with 4.2.2.180 and a Motorola H680 headset.

Jeff
There is a newer OS - 4.2.2.184. Not sure if it had any affect on bluetooth, but you may want to consider trying it out. My phone does fine with a Motorola H700 and UMA. I'm using .184, but I think it was ok on .180.
Old 12-25-2007, 03:48 AM   #17
HaTaX
CrackBerry Addict

I have the same trouble with 184 as I did with 180 and my bluetooth devices.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:49 AM   #18
ninja95

Model: 8230

Just wanted to get this going again. I had a water incident with the curve I had and now have one that has the words "WIFI" on top which means it is different from the one I sent back. I have .184 on this unit and now I am able to use my Jawbone and UMA. Now I have also a new T-Mobile router for "Talk Forever" that has made a huge difference in my UMA usage.
Old 02-28-2008, 10:37 PM   #19
sotapoppy

Model: 8900

There has to be some variance from one BB to the next. My daughter and I each have 8320's on Tmo on the same family plan. We each have Tmo Linksys routers. Our 8320s are both on 180 OS. She has a jawbone that works perfectly for her making UMA calls at her place and at mine. If I try to use her Jawbone on my 8320 I get booted to EDGE immediately at both locations. I've gone through both 8320s and the settings are nearly identical.

The only difference that I am aware of is that her 8320 is a few months newer than mine (based only on date of purchase).
Old 04-02-2008, 03:22 PM   #20
dentalrep
Thumbs Must Hurt

Default Bluetooth works w/ 4.5 software and UMA

I am using my Bluetooth headset with UMA with the beta 4.5 software on the Curve.
Closed Thread