BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 04:24 PM   #1
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Default I hate my wife...(not really, but why her?!)

Please Login to Remove!

My wife has wanted a Pearl just about since I brought mine home. Her NE2 is available, so we we're planning on going in this weekend to get it for her. I told her about the BIS and BES options, and she said "We don't have any Blackberries, so I'm sure we don't have BES."

Well yesterday, she noticed that an email from a co-worker (who she sees regularly) had "Sent wirelessly from my Blackberry" at the end of his email. She got in touch with him, and lo and behold, he does have a Blackberry (seen and never recognized by her), and her company does have Blackberry BES support. So she talked to her boss, and she can get the VZW Pearl set up on BES and she can expense the monthly service cost.

Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! I'm the phone geek in this family! She never even heard of a Blackberry before she saw my Pearl. I'm the one who needs (read: lusts for in a totally crackberry way) wireless sync of email, calendar, etc.! Her response : "I guess that will be nice." Nice? Nice?!? "Nice," as in "Yeah, I guess winning the lotto would be nice."

I'm the one who started the whole family Blackberry craze...yet SHE gets the free BES, just, you know, kinda by accident...

"Oh, what's this on the ground here? Free BES? Hmmm, I guess I'll pick it up and take it home. That might be nice."

Tell me there isn't something just really screwed up in the world. Tell me!

<pant><pant><pant>

Meds...I need my meds..........arghhh

Last edited by Danabw; 12-07-2007 at 04:27 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 04:32 PM   #2
jeremyckitching
BlackBerry B Boy

Model: 9700
PIN: 215BE1F8
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.A.

LOL! Off to Rants and Raves maybe...
Old 12-07-2007, 04:44 PM   #3
MrKyoo
BlackBerry Master

Model: 4s
PIN: 79B32491
Carrier: AT&T

Being on a BES isn't always fun and games.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:47 PM   #4
ezrunner
EPIC MOD

Model: ZED10
PIN: INK STICK
Carrier: Tmobile

Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I understand where you are coming from
Old 12-07-2007, 04:48 PM   #5
Fireproof
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8800
PIN: Montblanc
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
It's ALL fun and games until someone gets their eye poked out.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:50 PM   #6
jseah
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9530
PIN: 30496979

My company picks up the entire tab on my phone bill except for $20 (that is considered the personal use portion). I don't have my phone hooked up to the work BES though (that would require me to either get service through Sprint or AT&T). Besides, the BES is locked down so tight, IM is blocked (I'm not sure but I believe Yahoo and Gmail email is blocked as well).
Old 12-07-2007, 04:56 PM   #7
livspop
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon (Alltel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKyoo View Post
This is an excellent point! I would much prefer to forgo the ability to expense my plan and have a phone that I can use however I want. Make sure your wife knows that by hooking up to the BES she could lose access to everything from the ability to send SMS messages to downolading cool third-party apps. You guys are shelling out the $$ for the device, so it would suck if you can't end up using it the way you want.

Plus, I have also found that once you're on a BES it can be tough to really ever get off completely. Supposedly "blank" IT policies that can be pushed to release you from the BES aren't always as advertised, depending on how good your network admins are....

Last edited by livspop; 12-07-2007 at 04:57 PM..
Old 12-07-2007, 05:00 PM   #8
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Well, uh, hey, she might let you play with it sometime. Buy some wine.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:45 PM   #9
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

If you're on a BES that isn't locked down tight as a drum then BES is definitely the way to go (I have lots of fun and games on mine!)

When OS 4.3 comes out for your device then you'll be able to completely remove all IT policies and application restrictions added by a BES.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:52 PM   #10
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

That's too funny. Kinda the reverse in our family. I have been the BES Admin for 3+ years and got really into the devices - which baffled my husband since I couldn't care less about his surround sound or 40+ inch TV and 5 disk CD player.

He got his BB from work about a year ago (we work at the same place, so guess who set up his device?) and is only mildly excited by it.

I, however, just picked up a SECOND device for personal use. Yes, I carry TWO of them...but only when I'm on-call. Otherwise the work device stays home in the evening.

Oh, and moved to ... Rants & Raves for lack of a forum named "Why Me".
Old 12-07-2007, 06:54 PM   #11
Danabw
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130

Some excellent points (and amusing ones as well).

Yeah...we do need a "Why me!?" forum!

I'll have to check on how tightly they lock down their BES...that is a good question. (And maybe would allow me to go "nyah-nyah-nyah-nyah!"

I've shown her the things I've added to mine, so if they do lock it down, that may put her in a quandry. Hopefully she'll be in a "friendly" BES like yours, John.

Juwaack...my wife was trying to show me something in a monster spreadsheet last night that she uses for work...it's evidently (at least to her and her co-workers) quite impressive, elegantly done, something called pivot tables everywhere, automated do-hickies and fancy macros galore. <Yawn> Now I know how she feels when I'm showing her the cool utilities that I've loaded on my Pearl.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:01 PM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted (8700g: BlackBerry8700/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I'm thinking same as Mr. K, Danabw. Wait until she finds out you have google maps, etc. (pick your favorite) and she can't.
Old 12-07-2007, 07:08 PM   #13
LunkHead
BlackBerry God

Model: 850
PIN: kie swear
Carrier: USPS Priority

I don't have a wife >>>>> UNLOVED

I wonder if it's because I don't want one or if it's because nobody wants me????

:shrug:
Old 12-07-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danabw View Post
Juwaack...my wife was trying to show me something in a monster spreadsheet last night that she uses for work...it's evidently (at least to her and her co-workers) quite impressive, elegantly done, something called pivot tables everywhere, automated do-hickies and fancy macros galore. <Yawn> Now I know how she feels when I'm showing her the cool utilities that I've loaded on my Pearl.
My hubby is REALLY good with Excel pivot tables (I don't even know what those are) and formulas galore. Quite scary actually. But dang it, if I need a formula for something I'm working on, if he can't figure it out, it can't be done.

At least I know how to load the dishwasher correctly
Old 12-08-2007, 07:57 AM   #15
mriff
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: iPhon
PIN: High

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
My hubby is REALLY good with Excel pivot tables (I don't even know what those are) and formulas galore. Quite scary actually. But dang it, if I need a formula for something I'm working on, if he can't figure it out, it can't be done.

At least I know how to load the dishwasher correctly
LOL! Does your husband read these forums?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:53 AM   #16
ndub33
Stuck In The '70's Mod

Model: 9810
Carrier: T-Mobile

My wife runs circles around me in the area of downloadable music. For as much of a phone geek as I am, I am a very late adopter with the whole MP3 thing.

My knowledge of gaming pretty much ceased back when you needed a pocket full of quarters to play as well, so I'm guessing it will only be a matter of time before my daughter totally humbles me in this technology area as well.

I am the household SME with Excell and dishwashers, though!
Old 12-08-2007, 09:29 AM   #17
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mriff View Post
LOL! Does your husband read these forums?
Nope!! Why would he read the forums when he has ME to answer his questions?
Old 12-08-2007, 09:45 AM   #18
snowskier79
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Curve
PIN: No thanks, yo tienen una pluma.

Hysterical post!
Old 12-08-2007, 11:27 AM   #19
Jhhart
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: Sprint

My wife is somewhat of a late bloomer. She would get on me all the time for using my Treo for almost everything. She actually said she hated the thing. Then when I upgraded to the 700P she wanted my old 650 and now she is on it all the time. Needless to say the 700P was a piece of "JUNK" and I have discovered the Blackberry 8830. I am trying to get her to upgrade (switch) from her Treo 650 to the Pearl and she is just being hard headed! I tried explaining the benefits and the stability of Blackberry and she just said "my treo never locks up." .....Till 2 days ago when she called from her office and explained that her Treo was froze up. We went through all the steps I had memorized with my 700 to recover from a crash and it resulted in a Hard Reset and she lost everything including her Christmas shopping list. She was pissed and even more so when I asked her when was the last time she had backed up and it had been several months.

So I think I may have an edge on getting her to convert.........but not right now it is still a bad subject. And I continue to scratch my head as to how she figures it is some how my fault.

I really want her to switch so we can use Blackberry Unite! when it becomes available in the US.
Old 12-08-2007, 12:17 PM   #20
jsntrenkler
BlackBerry Blooded

Model: 9630
PIN: ????
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

My wife came to me one day and said "I need a new phone, I want to be able to store my calendar information in it so I can get rid of the wall calendar and not miss appointments" I showed her my 8830 and she said "That's too big" (That's the first time I heard her say that ) I took her to the Verizon store on the day of the 8130 launch and thought the Pearl would be perfect for her, I was totally excited. She picked it up, didn't press a button and said "I don't like it" Argghhh! ... Needless to say we left with a LG Env ... I was so hurt.
Closed Thread