BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 08:30 PM   #1
mkatwilder24
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
Carrier: Tmobile
Thumbs up Got my new 8320 with Tmo Hotspot@Home...

Please Login to Remove!

Liking it so far. It is not quite as solid feeling as my old 8800 (which is now pretty much a paperweight...don't ask), but I do like the slightly slimmer profile which fits better in my girl hands and in a pants pocket. The speaker definitely seems a little more clear and loud. I like the grey/chrome color which is much easier to see when sitting at the bottom of a purse. I do think the keypad on the 8800 is better though. I liked the raised keys.

Had no problem hooking up to my wifi router at home (netgear g) and the calls were super loud and clear...much clearer than the Tmobile voice connection from my house. Now if my workplace would put up a wifi network! My office is right above the data center so it's like trying to make a call sitting right on top of an em field.

I did notice a tiny bit of a slow down in my internet and TIVO....but I was running the phone, TIVO, and internet on my laptop all at the same time. Considering that and the fact that it was raining, it wasn't really that noticeable. My router is also one of the first "g" models from netgear so maybe the newer models handle the multiple services a little better.

I also got the promotional price from Tmo which is $9.99 a month for as long as you have the service. Since I have an 1000 minute plan already it is not really giving any savings but the low price was to good to pass up...half of what it will be in the future. I figure maybe I'll find some other uses for this along the way.

Questions for everyone else....how are you using your wifi?

Update: just noticed that the keyboard is lighted. That is definitely a plus when you are asleep in bed and want to type a quick message without turning on the lights.

Last edited by mkatwilder24; 10-03-2007 at 08:42 PM..
Old 10-03-2007, 08:39 PM   #2
jhaedin_brennyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: t-mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkatwilder24 View Post
Liking it so far. It is not quite as solid feeling as my old 8800 (which is now pretty much a paperweight...don't ask), but I do like the slightly slimmer profile which fits better in my girl hands and in a pants pocket. The speaker definitely seems a little more clear and loud. I like the grey/chrome color which is much easier to see when sitting at the bottom of a purse. I do think the keypad on the 8800 is better though. I liked the raised keys.

Had no problem hooking up to my wifi router at home (netgear g) and the calls were super loud and clear...much clearer than the Tmobile voice connection from my house. Now if my workplace would put up a wifi network! My office is right above the data center so it's like trying to make a call sitting right on top of an em field.

I did notice a tiny bit of a slow down in my internet and TIVO....but I was running the phone, TIVO, and internet on my laptop all at the same time. Considering that and the fact that it was raining, it wasn't really that noticeable. My router is also one of the first "g" models from netgear so maybe the newer models handle the multiple services a little better.

I also got the promotional price from Tmo which is $9.99 a month for as long as you have the service. Since I have an 1000 minute plan already it is not really giving any savings but the low price was to good to pass up...half of what it will be in the future. I figure maybe I'll find some other uses for this along the way.

Questions for everyone else....how are you using your wifi?
that was my general question also what is the wifi for if you dont have hot spots at home but you have a router then what?

The dymond Mama
Old 10-03-2007, 08:47 PM   #3
mkatwilder24

Carrier: Tmobile

The only other thing I can really think of is logging onto the wifi at school which has coverage in all the libraries. VPN access would have been nice but apparently you only get that feature if you are on a BES.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
jahlisimo

Model: 8900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Hi....question...when did you get the Hot Spot@Home? I tried today and they said that the $9.99 price is over and it is now $19.99 now. That totally sucks!!! That price is way high to me.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:27 PM   #5
Jumpin_Joe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahlisimo View Post
Hi....question...when did you get the Hot Spot@Home? I tried today and they said that the $9.99 price is over and it is now $19.99 now. That totally sucks!!! That price is way high to me.
I think the promo ended on 02-Oct.
Old 10-03-2007, 09:30 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhaedin_brennyn View Post
that was my general question also what is the wifi for if you dont have hot spots at home but you have a router then what?
wifi will work on your wireless router (depending on the router model.)
Closed Thread