Closed Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 04:11 AM   #201
graybeck13

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: O2 UK
Question BlackBerry Knowledge Base Article KB14122

Please Login to Remove!

I have had similar problem to everyone else posting to this thread. My connection to home network was fine until I changed from the "Unlimited" to "Pay As You Use" BlackBerry service from O2 UK. I have also been unable to get any sensible reply from O2 UK Support.

I have followed the instructions in the BlackBerry Knowledge Base article KB14122. (This is quoted below FYI and to try, if you haven't already) When the connection is tested via a computer on the home network the connection to BIS is shown as blocked, although there is no block on the router. It seems to be a block somewhere on the system beyond?

I would be interested to hear any comments from others on this.

Quote:
Verify connectivity for BlackBerry data services over a Wi-Fi connection

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Doc ID : KB14122
Last Modified : 2007-12-13
Document Type : Support

Print this page

Environment
BlackBerry® smartphone

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Problem
The Wi-Fi® enabled BlackBerry smartphone is unable to connect to the BlackBerry® Infrastructure using a Wi-Fi connection. The Wi-Fi diagnostic tool reports a failure under the BlackBerry Infrastructure heading.

Cause
A network path to rcp.<carrier_region>.blackberry.com, where <carrier_region> is the region in which the wireless service provider is located (na for North America, eu for Europe, or ap for Asia/Pacific), cannot be established on port 443.

Resolution
To determine whether other connections from the same network location can be established, complete the following steps:

From a Microsoft® Windows® computer connected to the same network location as the Wi-Fi enabled BlackBerry smartphone, click Start.
Click Run.
Type cmd.
Press Enter.
Type telnet rcp.<carrier_region>.blackberry.net 443.
Note: where <carrier_region> is the region in which the wireless service provider is located (na for North America, eu for Europe, or ap for Asia/Pacific)

Press Enter.
The command should result in a blank screen with a flashing cursor. Any indication of connection failure means that the network connection is blocked.

Note: This test confirms network connectivity at a basic level. If the network prevents outgoing Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) or Transport Layer Security (TLS) traffic on port 443, contact the system administrator to allow this type of traffic. The BlackBerry smartphone requires a TLS connection to the BlackBerry Infrastructure.
Old 05-10-2008, 04:28 PM   #202
Geezer1
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Carrier: o2
Default O2 are all carriers the same?

The hassles people are having with the 8120 on wi-fi all seem to be due to the O2 network.

Seeing as despite my daughters 8120 on O2 having no problems with wi-fi, it would appear that she is just lucky.

I jumped ship from The Carphone Warehouse O2 and now find myself in exactly the same situation with O2 direct, wi-fi will not work.

So now I'm going to jump ship to Orange and see if it will work with them.....sheesh! if not its gonna have to be a Nokia E51, apparently it does everything that the blackberry does, unless anyone can convince me otherwise ....and it has wi-fi.

graybeack, were you on BES or BIS and what did O2 say once your wi-fi stopped?
Old 05-11-2008, 12:27 PM   #203
graybeck13

Geezer1,
I am using BIS.
O2 said that a change of Tarrif would have no effect on the service settings and should not affect Wi-Fi BIS connection. They told me to contact my ISP.
My ISP told me to contact O2.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:49 PM   #204
Berry One
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8220
Carrier: WiFi hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by graybeck13 View Post
Geezer1,
I am using BIS.
O2 said that a change of Tarrif would have no effect on the service settings and should not affect Wi-Fi BIS connection.
Change of tariffs does have effect on service settings and could affect WiFi connection.

Quote:
They told me to contact my ISP. My ISP told me to contact O2.

Tell O2 open ticket with RIM and have RIM clarify if your blackberry listed in their (RIM's) records with WiFi service enabled.
Old 05-13-2008, 01:58 AM   #205
tornadodivine
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: O2

afaik Blackberry's are the only devices that offer push email, so you'd lose that by getting an E51. But then you'd probably have working wifi ;)

Oh and I've just read this thread, doesn't sound like Orange are any better with wifi AND you would have to start using their broadband services.

I can't believe O2 tell people to talk to their ISP. It's something their end, and the fact that some have working wifi and some don't still indicates that there is a problem which they are failing to take seriously.

For those that don't have working wifi, do you see a grayed out wifi icon? This should allow you to browse the internet on the BB browser, but you won't be able to send/receive email. That was what I found with mine, however after Tailor made great progress with O2/RIM mine is now working. That was after resending the service books.

Seems like for some of you a serious letter of complaint is in order :(

Last edited by tornadodivine; 05-13-2008 at 02:01 AM..
Old 05-18-2008, 04:01 PM   #206
Geezer1

Default It is working!

Guys,

What is obvious about all of this is that O2 don't have a clue.

My wi-fi is now working after I flipping well insisted that, after O2 were telling me so much sh1te on a continual basis that they put me on Blackberry Unlimited (£10 extra a month) free on account that everything that they suggested did not work just to humour me to see if I was right that the problem is at their end.

They told me that pay as you use Blackberry tariff or unlimited should make no difference to wi-fi connectivity, as indeed should be the case. But then again, these are trhe same people who told me that the 8120 doesn't need a sim card to connect to wi-fi! I insisted!

Well it damn well does! My wi-fi just came to life without having to fanny around with any Service books/HRT/contacting ISP/changing settings/Changing handsets/Buying 'The Cloud' bolt-on/Downloading this software/Contacting RIM/Feeding the cat/Making a cup of tea etc. etc.......... it just worked!

I'm not going to let O2 get away with this. They advertise pay as you use Blackberry and that is what I will pay for. I certainly did not go beyond 1MB with my Pearl 8100 with no Wi-Fi so I'm surely not going to go over this with wi-fi enabled.

You need to INSIST they try Blackberry Unlimited on your account to prove that the problem is at their end (as ever) before they have you jumping through hoops and doing backward somersaults!

By the way, my daughters 8120 wi-fi worked no problems apparently this is because it has Blackberry Unlimited as I've just discovered and not Pay as you use, which is what I actually ordered........how ****ing difficult can it all be, it's hardly quantum physics?

Don't let the t***ers get away with it, insist you get what they advertised!!

The Nokia E51 comes with 'Blackberry Connect' software which apparently enables the 'push' technology to emulate the Blackberry.

Last edited by Geezer1; 05-18-2008 at 04:04 PM.. Reason: ps
Old 06-20-2008, 04:17 AM   #207
MikeG

Default Tariff matters

Hi all,

I have had a friend who works for O2 look into this for me, it would appear that the Pay As You Use tariff has been blocked from using wifi, if you get the £10 unlimited tariff there is no problem. It would be interesting to see from a quick vote, who has PAYU, who has Unlimited and whether your wifi is working or not, just to see whether this is a correct verdict.
I suggest you all get on the phone to O2 'cos basically they expect you to pay an extra £10 per month to access your own FREE wifi network.

Yours frustrated

Mike

Old 06-20-2008, 02:15 PM   #208
HuwSy
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
PIN: .
Carrier: Orange

I'm on payg and haven't got full wifi. So holds out so far.
Although now that opera 4.1 has a wifi option in its settings and it actually works I'm a little less bothered.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:52 PM   #209
gibodean

Model: 8100
Default Wifi on Bold on O2?

Hi all,

I see the frenzied activity on this thread a few months ago, and I can only hope that wifi on O2 has therefore been sorted out.

I'm about to upgrade my pearl on O2 to a Bold (18 month contract with unlimited email/web), and want to check some things :

1. My SIM is probably 18 months old. Will I need a new one to use 3G and wifi, or can I use my existing one ?
2. Should I otherwise expect wifi to work ? (Ie, thanks to you guys, does O2 now seemlessly support it for all BIS unlimited customers, or do I need to speak some secret codewords to get mine activated?)
3. What exactly does it mean for wifi to "work" ? I know I can browse the web over it, but will emails and sms come over wifi ? Can I make phonecalls over wifi like they do in the USA (using "UMA")? I suspect that O2 doesn't support UMA...
4. Can anyone tell me what great things can be done with wifi on a Bold, apart from calls and emails. What are some good apps I should get ?

I'm going to Japan to get married next month, and O2's roaming costs a fortune. I'm hoping I can use as much as possible of my phone's wifi abilities while I'm there. If O2 doesn't support UMA, are there any wifi voip clients the bold does support ? Skype would be sweet.

Or, I'm considering signing up for vodafone UK for a month while in Japan. Their "passport" service for international roaming is much better value than O2's roaming costs.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:05 AM   #210
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Hi gibodean,
1. Your SIM will be fine for WiFi, probably fine for 3G too, there was supposedly a change a few years ago where the SIM would actually have 3G on it but that's all been superseded now, if you want to be sure, put it in a 3G capable phone and verify you get U or 3G or UMTS or whatever the phone shows it as!
2. WiFi works for customers with unlimited blackberry tariffs, it's not supported on PAYU Data. It didn't work with BIS Unlimited but that's sorted now.
3. WiFi will always connect and allow you to browse the web (if you select the right browser!), with PAYU Data that’s about it, with Unlimited data tariffs then a connection is also made to RIM's servers over WiFi and thus that traffic also uses the WiFi, this would include the various messengers, RIM's websites, email, etc
Advantages being speed and free data whilst roaming.
On the Pearl 8120 then you also get the benefit of having data/voice simultaneously, however 3G also offers this so the Bold effectively has this anyway.
O2 doesn't support UMA.
4. I'm not a big follower of apps so get some more input on this one, I thought YouTube was quite cool and there is Telnet and VNC apps available.
I'm not aware of any VoIP clients, certainly not any free ones.

The other feature I use WiFi for is BES, RIM offer one free licence with the professional version and you can connect wherever there is WiFi so i get the advantage of Sync'ing Contacts, notes, other email folders.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 AM   #211
gibodean

Model: 8100

Tailor,
Thanks very much for the info.
Good suggestion about testing my SIM card - I'll find someone who has one.
Pity O2 doesn't support UMA, and there doesn't appear to be any IP apps.

One app that I was just pointed to though was a video streaming application. You can use the Bold to stream from the camera through wifi to the web.
Search for "next2friends" (I'm a couple of posts short of being allowed to post URLs)

I'll check out the VNC apps - they'd be useful. I've heard you can already use youtube on the browser. Are there special youtube apps too which make it easier ? I'll take a look.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:27 AM   #212
Tailor
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700

Software looks quite cool, there's even a video called "Testing of WiFi on 4.5.0.81 with Mobile Network turned off"
Download link giving a problem at the moment although i didn't try too hard.
I also missed off Facebook, it's very easy to upload pics with their app.
Yahoo, MSN and BB messengers are all fantastic.
That said, MSN mesenger annoying me as you can't reply to a contact that's appearing offline!
Old 10-18-2008, 04:27 AM   #213
drfunnytee76

PIN: 2535cba6

hi all! I live in Vietnam and last week my friend sent me a 8120BB(with unlockcode), but I have some problem with its WIFI:
- I can see the access point when I scan network but i can't connect it. it said " can not obtain ... IP address ..." i can't remember all. sometimes it said: " network lost ".
Please help me to set up WIFI in my 8120. Thanks all
Closed Thread