Closed Thread

Old 09-28-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
ItKnows

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: None currently
Default Mystery writer in need of info

Please Login to Remove!

My mom is a published mystery writer and needs some information on blackberry's for the newest book she's writing. I don't want anyone to use this info for bad purposes, so hopefully we can keep it theoretical.

The heroine finds herself in possesion of a Blackberry and needs to see the data inside. It's someone else's phone. Possibly make a phone call, take a picture, and capture video. Is there a model type that would be most compatible with what she needs to do? From what I read, the 8130 has the video capabilities, but I wasn't sure if there was a better choice that would be less secure then the newer models.

If the phone is reported lost or stolen and the SIM is disabled, is there a way to access data on the phone? Could the data be stored on a SD card instead of directly on the blackberry so that the heroine could access the information through her computer? Are there other things users of Blackberry's do that negate the security features in BlackBerry's?

The RIM feature that will kill a device remotely when reported lost/stolen is a part of the BES? And the BES is cost prohibitive for regular users, correct?

I read that BBs can be located through the GPS. How often is that really done? And what things might hamper that from happening (other then the phone being completely off)? Could location be an issue? For instance, if in a big city, or remote mountain top? Would the person who lost the phone have to really jump through some hoops to get the unit located, or is it something fairly easy to do? Would you have to go to the cops to have that done? (i.e. villian would have to talk to the cops in order to have the unit located.)

Any other answers or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 09-28-2008, 10:32 AM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Welcome to the BBforums.

If the user has NO password on the device, anyone can read and use any data they want to on the device. If a password is set, no one can use the data or access the data for any reason, without first entering the password. Enter it wrong ten times, and the phone self-wipes itself of ALL data, contacts, calendar, etc., and then the phone would be usable for a camera, etc., but all the previous users' info would be gone.

BBs can ONLY be located via the GPS only if a previous application to do so, has been loaded.
Old 09-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #3
ItKnows

Thank you for the response, JSanders. I thought BBs had GPS service automatically loaded. So it would be possible that the heroine wouldn't have to deal with cops showing up or villian finding out where she is.

Can a user store documents or pictures on the SD card? And if the phone was password protected, could you still take out the SD card and read it in your computer?
Old 09-28-2008, 11:48 AM   #4
holden
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9700
PIN: TOFJAGER
Carrier: Cingular-AT&T-Verizon-Nextel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItKnows View Post
Thank you for the response, JSanders. I thought BBs had GPS service automatically loaded. So it would be possible that the heroine wouldn't have to deal with cops showing up or villian finding out where she is.

Can a user store documents or pictures on the SD card? And if the phone was password protected, could you still take out the SD card and read it in your computer?

Data on the SD card can be encrypted but either the device has a corporate policy for this or the user sets up encryption on the data.

So to answer your question, yes, you could read data off the SD card if it is not encrypted.

EDIT: spellcheck

Last edited by holden; 09-28-2008 at 11:51 AM..
Old 09-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #5
ItKnows

Hypothetically, the GPS is enabled because the original user had some kind of map application installed. Does the GPS find you through triangulation of tower locations? I thought GPS was satelite signals, not towers.
Old 09-28-2008, 12:20 PM   #6
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

This sounds very fishy to me...
Old 09-28-2008, 12:39 PM   #7
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Me too.
Old 09-28-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
MBW
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8110
Carrier: AT&T

Let the character do a fast switch, pulling the MicroSD card out of the side slot on the BlackBerry (it would be very with-it to choose the Bold model 9000) and sticking a different memory card back in in its place - a clever person planning such a deed would prepare the substitute to incorporate a formatting error, such that it would look like a random failure of the card and not cause suspicion - it would be frustrating to the victim of the switch but not make the switch obvious - especially if there's some way of knowing that both cards are, for example, 8GB SanDisk cards.
Old 09-28-2008, 06:20 PM   #9
coreyoli
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Storm
PIN: 305EF621
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I was thinking the same thing... But I'm a very untrusting kind of person, lol...
Old 09-30-2008, 04:54 AM   #10
ItKnows

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBW View Post
Let the character do a fast switch, pulling the MicroSD card out of the side slot on the BlackBerry (it would be very with-it to choose the Bold model 9000) and sticking a different memory card back in in its place - a clever person planning such a deed would prepare the substitute to incorporate a formatting error, such that it would look like a random failure of the card and not cause suspicion - it would be frustrating to the victim of the switch but not make the switch obvious - especially if there's some way of knowing that both cards are, for example, 8GB SanDisk cards.
That is a great idea! It's plausible, and allows the heroine to avoid detection long enough to solve the murder.

You wouldn't happen to know how a person could create a formatting error on a SD card, would you? :\ I'll google it.

Thanks again!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:08 AM   #11
ItKnows

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
I don't know how I'd convince people I'm not asking for ulterior motives. However, I don't own a Blackberry and I don't know anyone who owns one. So I was limited on getting information about security and data access from reliable sources. I stumbled on this forum doing a google search, and the replies on here are very knowledgable and informative. I don't want any information that could potentially be used to help someone steal a blackberry, or use one after they steal it.

I really appreciate the information that has been given. I passed it on to my mom and she said it was a great help. Thank you for the information and assistance.
Old 09-30-2008, 08:56 AM   #12
fonejunkie
Just me

Model: iFone
PIN: Not on my iPhone5
Carrier: iPhone5 on AT&T Mobility

Quote:
I don't know how I'd convince people I'm not asking for ulterior motives.
Identifying your mother, the published mystery writer, would be a good place to start...
Old 09-30-2008, 09:01 AM   #13
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Quote:
I don't know how I'd convince people I'm not asking for ulterior motives. However, I don't own a Blackberry and I don't know anyone who owns one. So I was limited on getting information about security and data access from reliable sources. I stumbled on this forum doing a google search, and the replies on here are very knowledgable and informative. I don't want any information that could potentially be used to help someone steal a blackberry, or use one after they steal it.

I really appreciate the information that has been given. I passed it on to my mom and she said it was a great help. Thank you for the information and assistance.
Sorry to say that we can be a pretty pessimistic bunch. We get a lot of requests here, believe it or not, from people who have 'found' a device and want to know how to access it - rather than return it to the rightful owner (or even attempt to return it). With that sort of history, we get a little suspicious of those that try to access a device that isn't theirs.

That being said, if you want to PM me with information that will identify your mom, I will keep it confidential and post back here to let others know that you're on the up and up.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:07 AM   #14
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Thanks for the PM.

The information provided makes me believe that the OP is on the up and up.