BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 02:26 PM   #1
rao

Model: Pearl
Carrier: AT&T
Default A couple of nOOb Hosted BES questions (connection speed and return addresses)

Please Login to Remove!

I have read the FAQ, but there are a few things I just can't figure out. I apologize in advance if I missed it or flame away if you must

1. Is there any reason that using a third party hosted BES would increase internet browsing speed? The posts I read suggest that this would be the case, but I can't figure out why. I am using a 7100g on the Cingular network with WAP turned on. Would a hosted BES be faster? Now browsing is painfully slow.

2. Is it possible to select different signatures, reply to addresses and names for each e-mail using BES? There should be since you can do this in Outlook, but I can't find anyting difinitive. I have 2 pop accounts and 1 exchange server with a large client that is totally locked down and can only be accessed through (I will be able to get those e-mails re-directed once I corner their IT person). I want to be able to receive messgeaes from all of them and respond with different reply-to and from addresses and different signatures.

Thanks for any help.

Rob

Last edited by rao; 10-11-2005 at 02:37 PM..
Old 10-11-2005, 02:48 PM   #2
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

1. BES compresses the info being sent to the handheld. Data gets to the handheld quicker, hence faster browsing.

2. You can override the default reply to address on the BES account. Because the BES only maps you to 1 Exchange account, you can only have 1 signature/reply to address. The only way around this is to use a combination of BES and BIS to give you 2 possible signatures/reply to's.

If you need to gather email to the handheld from multiple places, either have BIS pop into the account, or forward the account to BIS, but not both. That's assuming you cannot have that mail go to the Exchange server.

cd.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:54 PM   #3
rao

Quote:
Originally Posted by corey@12mile
1. BES compresses the info being sent to the handheld. Data gets to the handheld quicker, hence faster browsing.

2. You can override the default reply to address on the BES account. Because the BES only maps you to 1 Exchange account, you can only have 1 signature/reply to address. The only way around this is to use a combination of BES and BIS to give you 2 possible signatures/reply to's.

If you need to gather email to the handheld from multiple places, either have BIS pop into the account, or forward the account to BIS, but not both. That's assuming you cannot have that mail go to the Exchange server.

cd.
Thanks for the info. I understand #1, but I am still puzzled by #2. I thought BES gave you all of the functionality of Outlook, which would include the ability to have Outlook monitor different mailbxes (only 1 exchange but a number of POPs).

What do people do that want to keep thier business (and more then 1 business address) and personal e-mail separate? I can't figure out how to do that without all of the e-mail eventually migrating to the "reply to" e-mail address.

Am I missing something here? Can that be done with Brand x's smart phone?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:07 PM   #4
corey@12mile
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: lots
Carrier: Rogers

As far as email is concerned, BES is just a synchronization tool between your handheld and the Exchange account. BES does not setup or configure your email, that is up to the email client (outlook/OWA).

What you need is an Exchange POP3 connector. All 2003 versions of Exchange server can use the Microsoft one, as can Exchange 2000 SBS. Previous to that, you need a third party product.

Generally the Blackberry is marketed as a business class device, hence the lack of need for multiple email address's. If it is a must, then use the BES/BIS combination. I know several people who do that.

For the record, I don't know of any smart phone device, that uses a dedicated server comparible to BES that allows you to configure multiple email address's on the go as you seem to be suggesting. I know Good and Verio don't do this, as they are both loosely based on BES. You may find a pop3 client for a smart phone that let's you setup multiple accounts as you say, but they will not be true push email. It'll depends on your handheld client to pull the mail at specified intervals.

cd.
Old 10-11-2005, 06:38 PM   #5
rao

Thanks for the info.

I still am not totally clear. If I am using a service like link2exchange, will that have the Exchange POP 3 connector?

I can't believe that I am the only person who needs to have multiple sent from addresses...
Old 10-11-2005, 06:46 PM   #6
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

<< fingers crossed ... hoping for an old-school corey response soon >>
Old 10-11-2005, 09:37 PM   #7
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

Quote:
Originally Posted by rao
I can't believe that I am the only person who needs to have multiple sent from addresses...
You're not. Those of us with multiple addresses use BES and BIS.
Closed Thread