BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 09-16-2004, 09:42 AM   #21
kirson
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

Please Login to Remove!

Buddy, this one if FAR MORE COMPLICATED than anything you have ever used on the Blackberry before. There are two ways to approach this project.

1. Download the zip file, and unzip it to a location you can remember. If you want to see what the application could look like with Klaus' original images, you can simply install it onto the Blackberry. Simply launch the Application Loader, select ADD to add a new application, then browse to the location where you unzipped the file. Inside there is a folder called Screensaved (NOT Screensaved_img). Inside that folder is another folder called INSTALL, and inside that folder is a filed called kth_screensaved.alx -- select that file and click OK, OK, OK, etc., until the process is done. You now have the demo working on your Blackberry. Read the ReadMe file for instructions. It operates as an OPTION menu in the OPTION section of the Homescreen.

2. If you want to put your own images instead of Klaus' images, you are enterring the Twilight Zone!!! You need to install RIM's Java Development Environment (JDE) and Sun Microsystem's Java Software Development Kit (SDK - I think that's what the initials stand for). You then need to load the project into the JDE, revise the project and the related Java code file. Recompile the code to get a new .cod file. Replace the .cod file in the Install directory, and (AFTER REMOVING THE INITIAL APPLICATION FROM YOUR BLACKBERRY!!!) reinstall your personal version onto your Blackberry. This is fun, but EXCEPTIONALLY complicated!!!
Old 09-16-2004, 10:01 AM   #22
morganc14
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: TMobile

Jesus man- If I knew how to do that, I wouldn't be the Director of Corporate Operations for a company, I would be the IT Director or Software Developer. Anyway, already got the app on the BB and all is see is a picture of a guy with a bike. Another question, maybe you can answer. maybe not. I would like to know which cell phone on the compatibility list at j2me-software.com is the closest in size to the 7230 screen. This is pretty cool. for only $1.99, you can download some stock screensavers and wallpapers and for a couple bucks you can also maniulate your own photos and have them sent to your device to display after their resized. This is pretty cool. I don't know about this Klaus thing, that's for developers. Hopefully, if you don't know the size question, someone else will who can give some insight to what phone is closest in size to the sweet little 7230. Thanks man.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:16 AM   #23
kirson

No problem. I'm not sure that those custom screensavers work on the Blackberry -- so check it out before plopping down that $1.99! Klaus' application should change the picture every X minutes -- X is user defined. But you can just press the space bar to rotate through the 4 or 5 pictures Klaus included. Trust me, the complicated stuff is also lots of fun. When I first tried this application I had never even heard of the JDE. I learned on the fly, and had a blast. My background is in law, investment banking, and private equity -- OK, I'm not dumb, but I ain't no IT guy either
Old 09-16-2004, 11:27 AM   #24
morganc14
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7290
Carrier: TMobile

Interesting, I wish there was a step by step for this Klaus deal. I would definitely like to play with it. By the way, the custome screensavers do work, I just picked the wrong phone as one of the options. they give you the option to choose your phone type and the one I chose was too small. But it sent to my pager in .jad format, clicked on it and boom there it was. Pretty cool for 2 bucks. Anyway, just wish I knew which of the phones was closer to the BB7230. Also, if you can get a hold of some instructions for the Klaus deal, that would be great.
Old 09-16-2004, 11:29 AM   #25
kirson

There are hundreds of posts (many of them mine, unfortunately) going through the step by step process -- mostly on the RIM Java developers forum. I may undertake a full step by step instruction manual one of these days -- it is a daunting task. If I do it, I'll post it here

The screen on the 72xx series is 160x240 -- I'm not sure what other cell phone has similar screen footprint. Anyone?
Old 11-10-2004, 02:14 AM   #26
doajlo

Old 11-10-2004, 09:33 AM   #27
Jesse
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Closed Thread