Old 11-22-2006, 07:35 PM   #21
RochesterBBUser
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 7290
Carrier: Cingular
Question Unable to install

Please Login to Remove!

Hi:

I don't really understand the way this is trying to install onto my PC, or why it is even trying to install on the PC. But, I am having issues. I get the error discussed here and even referenced on the BB site itself, but I can't get the .cab file to load. I have cleared my cache multiple times and no go.

There has got to be an easier way to install this. Any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 11-22-2006, 07:50 PM   #22
fizz
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochesterBBUser
Hi:

I don't really understand the way this is trying to install onto my PC, or why it is even trying to install on the PC. But, I am having issues. I get the error discussed here and even referenced on the BB site itself, but I can't get the .cab file to load. I have cleared my cache multiple times and no go.

There has got to be an easier way to install this. Any ideas?

Thanks.
IT will install to your PC first and then through your DM/Application Loader, it will update with the necessary components. I would advise doing a backup before installing, I installed a few hours ago with no problem on my 7130e and BBMaps is working great while i'm driving with just a few seconds off and knows where I am.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:04 PM   #23
bjchantry

Model: 9530
Carrier: Verizon
Thumbs down Desktop Manager removes

I installed it the correct way through Internet Exploder and all. Works fine etc. Now I added another application through the Application Loader and it said it is removing unrecongnized files, which were all the files for BlackBerry maps? Anyone else seen this? Anyone else try to add another application through the Application Loader since installing this?
Old 11-23-2006, 12:05 PM   #24
RochesterBBUser

Thanks. But, I still can't actually get it to load on my PC. I get that security bar at the top of the screen, click to install, hit run, and nothing (that I can see). I have only been able to get that to happen twice. I keep trying to clear my cache, etc...and no luck. I have the 8700c, so I just want to see the spped of the vector-based maps. Google Maps is OK, but painfully slow - even on EDGE.

Thanks.
Old 11-23-2006, 12:43 PM   #25
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

Model: 9700
PIN: Agaboobie
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by RochesterBBUser
Thanks. But, I still can't actually get it to load on my PC. I get that security bar at the top of the screen, click to install, hit run, and nothing (that I can see). I have only been able to get that to happen twice. I keep trying to clear my cache, etc...and no luck. I have the 8700c, so I just want to see the spped of the vector-based maps. Google Maps is OK, but painfully slow - even on EDGE.

Thanks.

I could never get it to work on the PC. When I say clear the cache its on the BB under options for the browser. Then make sure you accept all of the legal stuff and hopefully you can do it OTA. That worked for me.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:17 PM   #26
RochesterBBUser

Talking Solved - not easily, but solved

Hi:

So, the PC way of doing things hosed my BB. I ended up with the infamous Java 102 error. So, I had to wipe my BB with the JL_Cmder thing and then download my companies prepackaged 4.1 desktop manager and device sw. I installed that and all was back to normal. I lost nothing - in the end (except for the Zen theme).

I followed the link from earlier in the posts to the OTA .jad file. That worked perfectly and now I have the app. I actually really like it. I like the way it deals with directions. I do not have GPS (e.g. an 8700C), so I can just use the text directions. But, I like the way it is laid out, and the maps seem very clear and faster than my previous experience with Google Maps.

Thanks for the help.
Old 11-24-2006, 12:45 PM   #27
BBFreak
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
PIN: If you knew me you would have it!
Carrier: T-Mobile

I am really happy with BBMaps. My only true complaint is that it doesn't alert you sooner to crossing streets (most of the time it doesn't tell me the interesecting route until I have passed it or have turned on it) or redirects you if you fall off track/need an alternative route. I can't really complain because it's free.

Looking to buy or sale used car audio?
www.caraudioclassifieds.org
Old 11-25-2006, 05:31 PM   #28
eap

Model: Pearl
Carrier: att
Default BBfreak said

Quote:
I am really happy with BBMaps. My only true complaint is that it doesn't alert you sooner to crossing streets (most of the time it doesn't tell me the interesecting route until I have passed it or have turned on it) or redirects you if you fall off track/need an alternative route. I can't really complain because it's free.
Hmmmm - the link to BBMaps doesn't seem to work now, Anyway, I have TeleNav and it has the same 'delay' problem. It provide voice and 'turn by turn' directions but not a real route and no tracks. So I'm looking for alternatives....
Old 11-27-2006, 12:29 PM   #29
fizz

Model: 9630
Carrier: Sprint

for some reason i'm having problems trying to get directions (to/from). It always says it can't find it when i plug in the few addresses that i've tried such as my home and work. is anyone else having this problem?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:53 PM   #30
evilcaptain

I am having problems when trying to map an address from my address book. The program has a popup error with the message, could not find state/prov or country. It works when I manually enter the info when I choose directions. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 11-27-2006, 12:58 PM   #31
evilcaptain

I was not able to instal OTA earlier. I had to do a desktop install. I just tried the OTA link and it is working now. www.blackberry.com/maps
Old 11-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #32
DLB
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7130
Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcaptain
I am having problems when trying to map an address from my address book. The program has a popup error with the message, could not find state/prov or country. It works when I manually enter the info when I choose directions. Anyone else have this problem?
Having the same problem with my 7130e on Bell Mobility. Is this a carrier issue?

DLB
Old 11-27-2006, 04:18 PM   #33
evilcaptain

I don't think it is a carrier issue. I use TMO. It seems more of an issue with the program.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM   #34
NOMADGAMER

Model: 8700c
Carrier: cingular

Do you need a GPS 'box' to use BB Maps? I downloaded it perfectly, but when I click the icon I get a lot of grey diagonal lines as the "map".

I have BIS too, FYI. Take it easy on me, i'm new.
PIN "TBD"
Old 11-28-2006, 11:36 PM   #35
Stinsonddog
BBF Moderator

PIN: Agaboobie

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOMADGAMER
Do you need a GPS 'box' to use BB Maps? I downloaded it perfectly, but when I click the icon I get a lot of grey diagonal lines as the "map".

I have BIS too, FYI. Take it easy on me, i'm new.
Diagonal lines means the maps aren't downloading. Make sure you have internet access and under advanced options you have set your TCP settings. You don't need the BT puck but you wont get certain features. You can still get maps and directions.

See my GPS tips page for more info.
Old 12-05-2006, 10:39 AM   #36
evilcaptain

Default BB maps

I finally figured out my issue with BB maps not being able to map from the address book. It appears that those contacts that worked had the country field filled while the ones that did not work had it empty. This program is nice.
Closed Thread