BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Graham.Fox

Model: 7230
Exclamation Need help w/ JavaLoader fix for Prefetch Exception Error: Unable to connect

Please Login to Remove!

I need some serious help fast; I'm trying to wipe a Blackberry 7230 and reload from scratch. The device has one of the dreaded "PREFETCH EXCEPTION RESET" errors that can't be cleared. I'm trying to run Javaloader "javaloader.exe -usb wipe" ,but upon executing I am unable to perform the action and am only getting the following text:

RIM Wireless Handheld Java Loader
Copyright 2001-2005 Research in Motion Limited
Connecting To Device...Error: unable to open port

The device is attached by the USB cable straight to my computer, and the display on the Blackberry is on the "Prefetch Exception" error.

I'm the "IT Tech" at work, and my boss handed me his blackberry yesterday saying there was something wrong with it. He said it just happened when he turned it on yesterday... Having never even seen a blackberry before let alone used/fixed one, I could use all the help y'all can give. All the research I've done indicates the only solution for the problem is to do the javaloader wipe, but I can't break the code on it.

FYI, I've tried the Blackberry.com tech solution of "remove battery" which didn't work, and I've also tried the desktop manager approach which failed as well.

Thanks,
- Graham
Old 04-19-2006, 07:31 AM   #2
Nguyen2
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular

I am having the same issue! Did you ever find an answer?
Old 04-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #3
GingerTalkWireless

Model: 7520
Lightbulb "Unable to connect" when using Javaloader Fix? Here's what worked for me...

Here's the situation I had, and how I fixed it:

Situation:
Blackberry 7510 on Telus Mobility
- Upgraded the OS, somehow at the end of it I got error 543 on the screen
- Tried using Blackberry Desktop Manager Application Loader to restore the OS
- Nothing happened. Stuck with error

What I Did:
Looked on Blackberry Forums and used this thread from blackberryforums:
/showthread.php?t=17116&

Tried it, but couldn't it wasn't seeing the Berry connected to the USB port

Ended up removing the Blackberry Desktop Manager from the Control Panel, then re-installing it fresh

Made sure the Blackberry Desktop Manager was closed and not in the StartUp folder on my Windows XP

Plugged Berry into USB port and waited for both yellow bubbles to pop up from the bottom-right tray of XP's desktop screen

Went back to the Javaloader Automated Wiper Download and tried running it again....it worked!

Error on the Berry screen changed from 543 to 507 instead

Started Blackberry Desktop Manager and used the Application Loader to restore the OS

Worked like a charm.

(I'm not sure, but I think I tripped upon this because I was setting up a 7520 Blackberry with a new 7520 OS download, then mistakenly putting the 7520 OS download onto the 7510 Blackberry that was being re-tasked)

Ginger
Old 04-21-2006, 08:42 AM   #4
Nguyen2

Model: 8100
Carrier: Cingular
Default From RIM Support...

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. The error "unable to open port" means the handheld can't make a connection through the USB port. I could suggest the following steps be completed to resolve this issue.

1.Disable the Power Management option for the Universal Serial Bus (USB) root hubs on the personal computer.

a) Open the Control Panel by clicking Start > Settings > Control
Panel.
b) In the Control Panel, double-click System.
c) Select the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
d) In the Device Manager, expand Universal Serial Bus controllers.
e) Right-click USB Root Hub and select Properties.
f) Select the Power Management tab and un-check Allow the computer
to turn off this device to save power.
g) Repeat steps five and six for other entries named USB Root Hub.

2. Also in the Device Manager, under Universal Serial Bus Controller you will see something called RIM handheld or BlackBerry Device. Right click and hit Uninstall. At this point reboot your computer.

3. At this point try running the Java Loader again but this time connect the handheld, open the DOS prompt, type the Java Loader command again but this time perform a Hard Reset (take the battery out) while connected. Once the battery is put back in the handheld, execute the command. From the point when the battery is replaced and the command is executed, this should only take about 3 seconds to do.

4. Which USB port are you plugging the cable into? Are we using a Laptop? If so, are we using a docking station?

5. You could try another USB Cable.

6. A good test that will really distinguish if the computer is giving the issue or the handheld would be to try another computer(if avaliable).

Once these steps are completed please send us in your results and we can continue from there.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I tried the above and it didn't work. So here was the next email I got from RIM...

Thank you for contacting BlackBerry Technical Support. At this point I would recommend that this handheld is either repaired or replaced. To do this, please contact your wireless service provider and inform them of the troubleshooting steps you have completed along with our recommendations. If necessary, reference your case number (xxxx) so that they may contact us if they require more details.

If you do not know the wireless service provider for that handheld, please reply to this email and include the PIN for that device. The PIN can be found by removing the battery and looking beneath it.

If you require further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us. Thank you again for contacting us.

So I ended up getting the user a new device. Oh well.
Old 08-02-2006, 10:34 PM   #5
Evey

Model: 7520

I'm having the same error with a Blackberry 7520 (prefetch exception, reset). I tried the application loader and plugged the 7520 into the USB port. The application loader couldn't connect to the blackberry, though it detected the USB connection to it.
I haven't tried what GingerTalkWireless has tried yet.. the wireless provider said they had to send it back to RIM. :-/
I wish I knew about this earlier.
Old 08-03-2006, 10:05 AM   #6
foner
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
PIN: 2 something...
Carrier: Rogers

Had a similar situation (blackberry not recognized by windows) as was stated her I'm several other threads issues sometimes occur when connecting to a USB port on a laptop or a USB hub. Direct connect to a desktop has worked for me every time in this instance. Check it out!
Old 10-26-2006, 11:31 AM   #7
dewaltmatt

Model: 7100i
Carrier: nextel

How do I perform a Hard Reset?
Old 12-28-2006, 06:16 AM   #8
paresh.mangela

hlep me. i have 7230 and i am getting exception error can't wipe my bb from java laoder 1.8.3 it says " unbale to open port " so after trying to connect for some time it gets disconnect.

what to do??
Old 12-28-2006, 09:06 AM   #9
d_fisher
Retired BlackBerryForums.com Moderator

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by paresh.mangela
hlep me. i have 7230 and i am getting exception error can't wipe my bb from java laoder 1.8.3 it says " unbale to open port " so after trying to connect for some time it gets disconnect.

what to do??
Did you try the suggestions given previously in this thread?

Remember, please try searching first!

Need a screenshot? ... Like JavaLoader?
Try using BBscreen .....Use JL_Cmder!
or BBScreenShooter!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 12-29-2006, 04:41 AM   #10
paresh.mangela

Thumbs down

yes i did ... n ow what to do ? and i don't have warranty of this phone i have purchased it from Ebay 2 months back.
Old 01-18-2007, 10:49 AM   #11
paresh.mangela

Is there anyone who already found solution for this problem??
Old 02-02-2007, 12:41 AM   #12
beats1234

Model: 7290

I have the same problem as you

bites
Old 07-31-2007, 01:41 AM   #13
Clifford

Model: 8700c
PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT/Cingular
Default Apploader > Loader /nojvm

I just had a "JVM Error 517" - Corrupt Filesystem.

It is a MISERABLE ERROR.

Click "Reset" and it comes back
Remove battery... and it comes back.

Tried to run the Application Loader from within Desktop manager - CRASHES (says it can't find device). I believe I was running it on an older computer with USB-1 (not USB-2). But, I don't know if it made a difference.

Anyway,

Solution was:

Download & Install the latest Desktop Manager and Install.
Download & Install "OS" files from the Cell Phone Company (ATT/Cingular in my case).

Open DOS Window and run:

c:\program files\COMMON FILES\Research in Motion\AppLoader\LOADER /nojvm

(note, look under "Common Files")

This will basically unload everything, and load the "basic stuff" back in.

You can then open your Desktop Manager and install whatever else you would like to install.

Good Luck,
Clifford
Old 08-10-2007, 05:17 PM   #14
Bru433
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Lots

Addressing the "Unable to open port" issue; this is a bugger of an error.
Basically JL is unable to make a connection with the device regardless if its being detected or not.
If you've tried App Loader and get "Unable to connect to device during a multistage loading operation" or just plain cant connect then JL is your last line of defence.
Run through all the standard steps like disabling Power Mangement or USB Root Hubs, remove your laptop from your goddamn docking station!, directly connect the USB cable to the desktop/laptop (no hubs!), try JL and App Loader without the battery in the device, try App Loader without the battery but as soon as it gets to 'Device Initalization' quickly insert it.
After these, try another computer, if still no then return to your place of purchase for warranty options!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:42 PM   #15
LovesFashion

Model: 7130e
Carrier: Sprint

Thanks to the above poster, that is exactly what's happening w/ my 7130. Tried 20 times and no luck. Off to sprint to beg them for a replacement

Why would the comp. recognize the device and install drivers, but javaloader can't via the usb? Curious.
Old 10-17-2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Clifford

Model: 8700c
Carrier: ATT/Cingular

Since 7/31/07,
I've had several more JVM Errors, sometimes the same one (JVM 517), and sometimes other ones, for example JVM Error 545.

It seems to happen every few weeks, always at a bad time. Twice it has happened while the BB was on the wall charger.

Resetting it through DOS as above seems to work (while wiping out all my settings).

I certainly think:

1 - BB Software should be able to self-recover from these types of errors.
2 - BB Software should have an ability to boot to the core Kernel ALWAYS with some kind of user interface.
3 - A more descriptive error to allow one to determine the module that is causing the error would be handy, especially since recovery involves completely wiping the device.

I am now convinced that it is a hardware error, although it may be related to the amount of web surfing (Opera (deleted long ago), Cingular Browser, and BB Browser), or perhaps other usage on the BB.
Old 10-17-2007, 05:54 PM   #17
lolos

Model: 8703e
Carrier: Verizon

New Verizon 8703e, just got off Nextel 7100i. Currently have BlackBerry Desktop Manager version 4.1.0.8 on pc. Question is, can I keep this install of Desktop Manager or do I have to install the one on CD that came with the phone?
Old 10-27-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
DJChew
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120

lolos, you can keep the existing software.
However, it is always best to get the newest.

Desktop Manager 4.2 SP2
BlackBerry - BlackBerry Downloads | Desktop Software Applications, Enterprise Server, Games & Ring Tones

Last edited by DJChew; 10-28-2007 at 01:06 AM.. Reason: To correct URL
Old 06-23-2008, 05:16 AM   #19
Pavs

Model: 7100g
Carrier: O2
Default Prefetch Exception Reset Approach

I did throw my blackberry in the fire place and let it burn for a while. No more Prefech Exception Resete!
Old 12-23-2008, 04:49 PM   #20
BBbuddy

Model: 9520
Carrier: T-Mobile & ePlus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pavs View Post
I did throw my blackberry in the fire place and let it burn for a while. No more Prefech Exception Resete!
That's what I do next Makes no fun after thousand times plug in, plug out / install, reinstall and WTF els is needed.