Old 02-09-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
lmasterz

Model: 8120
PIN: N/A
Carrier: t-mobile
Default phone calls and bbm used on wifi

Please Login to Remove!

Hey all,

I need someone who understands BB to explain this. I am currently using BB pearl 8120 with T-mobile. But i'm i a city where tmobile tower isnt there, so i am roaming. Anyhow, today I was in a room with no mobile network/coverage, so I turned off my mobile network and turned on the Wi-fi. As I was using the browser, I started receiving bbm msgs through Wi-fi the whole time and the mobile network is 100% OFF! What's even more creepy, on the home screen it said T-mobile - xxxxx (xxxxx = the wireless router i'm connected to) and I was able to use the phone to call people and talk, and again, the mobile network was off. What I did realise however is it said UMA on the top right hand corner with the arrows going up and down. Later on, I left to another building, and it did not work, only wifi worked as normal. so does this happen with any wifi or what is it exactly.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
sstroud
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8120
Carrier: T-Mobile

what you described is pretty much the way that UMA works. it's a connection through the internet that allows the phone to operate as if it were conneted to the wireless network. sounds like the second router you conneted did not support UMA so you got internet access but not the phone function.
Closed Thread