Old 07-28-2008, 07:07 AM   #1
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8100
PIN: 241FB376
Carrier: Centennial

Please Login to Remove!

Wirelessly posted (Pearl 8100)

Some of the "launcher" icons I've installed have stopped working (ESPN, etc.). When I click on the icon, it says "Waiting" forever, then gives me an error message saying a connection cannot be established. I've tried reinstalling the icons. I've resent service books and done a battery pull. My browser works fine otherwise.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 AM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Verizon 8830)

Hmm
Try again. I waa able to access ESPN. Sometimes I actually have trouble with this wap site.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-28-2008, 07:33 AM   #3
Sith_Apprentice
Retired BBF Moderator

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Make sure to try and delete the service books on your device (not BES books and you cannot delete the provisioning service book) before resending. Sometimes a corrupt book wont be over-written by a resend.
Old 07-28-2008, 07:34 AM   #4
Foxglove
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
PIN: N/A
Carrier: o2

Wirelessly posted

What is your signal showing? GPRS EDGE or gprs edge?
Emails, BB messenger etc are working fine?
Old 07-28-2008, 07:54 AM   #5
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

Wirelessly posted (8100 Pearl)

Also check your browser configuration and the configuration for those sites. Attempting to access a wap site with internet config will cause this as well and vice versa.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 07-28-2008, 08:54 AM   #6
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow View Post

Also check your browser configuration and the configuration for those sites. Attempting to access a wap site with internet config will cause this as well and vice versa.
What specifically do I need to change in my browser configuration?

I cleared my service books and re-sent them, but I still get the same result. It's weird because some of my third-party icons work, such as the BB forums icon and mlb.com.
Old 07-28-2008, 09:10 AM   #7
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxglove View Post
Wirelessly posted

What is your signal showing? GPRS EDGE or gprs edge?
Emails, BB messenger etc are working fine?
I've got GPRS EDGE. Yes, everything else is working fine. And I can get to ESPN, for example, if I go there through my browser. But it won't launch from the icon.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:42 PM   #8
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

I'm still having this problem. I've downloaded a bunch of news launcher icons (ESPN, ABC News, CNN, NYT), and none of them work. But I can get to the sites just fine if I go in through my browser.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 PM   #9
Moonshadow
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8130
Carrier: TELUS

The settings I think you need to look at us what your default browser is for those sites. I had mine set to internet and couldn't access Wap sites. When I changed that bookmark to wap it worked fine.

Telus - 8130 - BES/BIS
Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 PM   #10
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonshadow

The settings I think you need to look at us what your default browser is for those sites. I had mine set to internet and couldn't access Wap sites. When I changed that bookmark to wap it worked fine.
OK, how do I change the default browser just those sites?
Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM   #11
wayne87
Thumbs Must Hurt

Anyone? Bueller?
Old 10-21-2008, 01:37 AM   #12
Ekrimmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Verizon

I'd like to jumpstart this thread. I just switched from an 8703e to an 8830. Both CNN and ESPN icons that I've downloaded insist on launching the "Verizon Wireless" browser (the "Internet Browser" I presume) and proceed to timeout. I have set the default browser to "Blackberry Browser" and can manually load either site. I cannot find where -if at all- to configure the browser that the icons open. Oddly, if I set all defaults to "Internet Browser" I still get what I presume is the Blackberry browser (Blackberry logo) in all cases except for these icons - which still timeout.
Old 10-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #13
Ekrimmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Update - after several back and forth finger pointing between VZW and RIM here is what I learned. Perhaps specific to the VZW 8830. Launcher apps such as CNN and ESPN invoke the WAP browser which is not present on and apparently not available for the 8830. Even though the links that these launchers go to is easily reached via either the Internet or Blackberry browser (assuming no corporate restrictions on the latter), they apparently a hard-coded to use the WAP browser and as I've seen, stall when it isn't there.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:37 AM   #14
BocaSurferDave

Model: Curve
Carrier: Sprint

I am experiencing the exact same problem with my Blackberry Curve 8330. My CNN and Sun Sentinel (local Florida newspaper) apps do not work, while other internet related apps like Bloomberg, Reuters, etc. do work. I can also access my browser itself to surf the web with no problems. What is interesting is that both the CNN and Sun Sentinel apps (the ones not working now) did work at some point in the past, and all of a sudden stopped working (not sure what cause it to stop working; I likely installed other apps and something happened). I looked at the browser config options on my normal browser, the browser that launches on 3rd party applications that do work, and the browser that launches on 3rd party applications that dont work, and they are all set the same. However, the apps that dont work are trying to launch the "Sprint PCS" browser, while the apps that do work are successfully launching the "Blackberry Browser". My default browser icon also launches the "Blackberry browser". The browser config options for both of these browser launchings are the same, except the "Sprint PCS" browser does not have the option to adjust the homepage setting. I thought this was the problem until I realized my "email settings" icon, which allows me to setup email forwarding/pushing directly to my blackberry, also launches the "Sprint PCS" browser without a problem and it works fine, so I'm still not sure what the issue is. Perhaps I need to find a way to associate the 3rd party application icons that dont work with the Blackberry browser, but I dont know how to do that. I tried a batter reset, I tried removing and reinstalling the apps too and nothing worked. If anyone figures out this annoying issue, please let me know. I'm starting to think the problem may just lie on the 3rd party application developers end and we just need to wait for someone over there to fix the link/server issue that may be causing the timeout. I hope someone on here can fix this issue

-Dave
Old 01-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #15
BocaSurferDave

Default More Info About Browser Connection Timeout on Certain 3rd Party Apps

I also noticed when I go to the broswer configuation options for the 3rd party apps that work (Blackberry Browser), it allows me to choose from various Emulation options including BlackBerry (current setting which works), Openwave (WAP), Openwave Gateway, Microsoft IE, MS Pocket IE, and Netscape). It also allows me to select a "Start Page" option from the following list: Home Page (current setting that works), Bookmarks Page, Last Page Loaded, and Start Page).

When I go to the browser configuration for the 3rd party apps that dont work (Sprint PCS browser), the "Blackberry" option is the only emulation option available, and the Start Page isn't even listed as an option.

Is there perhaps a way I can associate the CNN or Sun Sentinel 3rd party applications that dont work with the other browser?

The other odd thing is that I only have one browser in my advanced options called "Internet Browser". When I look at brower config options on both the 'Sprint PCS' and the 'Blackberry Browser', they both say "Internet Browser" even though the options differ slightly as described above.

When I refer to "Blackberry Browser" I mean that when I click on the 3rd party application icon it launches a browser window that says "Blackberry" as it is loading the page. When I refer to the "Spring PCS" browser I mean that when I click on other icons it launches a similar browser window that says "Sprint Ahead - Rated for SprintSpeed" while the page is loading (and ultimately times out with a connection error).

I dont always get a connection timeout error either. A few weeks ago I got a message that said "Uncaught exception - No Application Instance" when trying to launch the same apps. In all instances, I am able to launch my default blackberry browser and go to CNN or Sun Sentinel without a problem.

Any ideas?
Old 02-10-2009, 12:23 AM   #16
Ekrimmer
Thumbs Must Hurt

Boca - look in your service books for something along the lines of "browser config for 5 click" You have Sprint, mine is Verizon so I don't know if you'll have this. For me, deleting this service book resolved this problem. The only side effect is you won't have an icon to go straight into modifying your BIS account (BIS email still comes in). For Verizon I can still go to their website so it's no biggie. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #17
BocaSurferDave

Dude it worked! Thanks so much!!! I tried for months to get those third party apps to work again and eventually gave up. I just installed the Opera browser and bookmarked the sites I liked and it worked okay, but your suggestion to delete the "browser config for 5 click" service book worked like a charm, and now everything works perfectly!!! You rock. Thanks so much!

-D
Closed Thread