Closed Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Ashley87

Model: 8100
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Mute Button?

Please Login to Remove!

Hi everyone! I just got my 8100 a few days ago, and I have been figuring things out for myself for the most part. However, the one thing that still baffles me is the supposed "Mute" button. Now, my understanding of a mute button is that it will mute the phone. Does this mean all sounds? Because it mutes some things, but doesn't mute the ring tone and sometimes it doesn't mute the message alert. I would love to be able to use the mute button to quickly turn off all sounds when I'm in class or whatever, and it would be nice to just use the mute button on the top instead of going through profiles. Is there something I'm missing about the function of this button? Any help would be lovely, thanks!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:45 PM   #2
HustleDriven
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8130
Carrier: Telus

Great question. I'm no expert, still a newbie when it comes the blackberry, but this is what I understand.

The mute button is for when you are receiving a phone call, alerts, etc. When you receive them, you quickly hit it and it will shut off those sounds in the moment. This is what I did when receiving a call once speaking with a Home Depot rep (and might I add, a really foolish ringtone I soon changed after).

It's not like an auto-profile changer that puts your phone on silent mode.

If you want to change your profile, on the main screen you just scroll your trackball right and change the profile (or speaker) to a different setting. Hit menu button when choosing your profile options and you can change settings for each one. My suggestion is to do 1 of two things.

1. Simple one: always keep your phone on vibrate.
2. Change your normal profile so that when it is in the leather holster that comes with the phone (one with the magnet in it), it vibrates only for everything when in holster, and different when out. Keep it in the holster when in class and you're good to go.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 PM   #3
convergent

Model: 8130
Carrier: sprint

I use it when my phone vibrates and is about to ring, it will silence the ring.

It's handy when i need to quickly silence it when I'm doing something.
Old 04-21-2008, 06:19 PM   #4
TheBigNewt
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 8900
Carrier: Tmobile

What a lot use it for is to lock the keyboard/blank the screen (hold it down) when they put it in their pocket.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #5
riggers1

Model: 8120
Carrier: O2

I'm not sure about the mute button but you might find it useful to press and hold # which will swicth to vibrate profile.
Closed Thread