BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 06:31 PM   #1
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: VZW - Love/Hate
Angry Desktop Manager 6 + Facebook 1.9.xxx = EPIC FAIL!!!

Please Login to Remove!

I'm no stranger to OS issues with Blackberry and have had to wipe my handset clean and reinstall the OS on my Tour 9630 numerous times, but this last time took the prize!

My Tour was freezing and initially I didn't realize that it was after upgrading from FB 1.8 to FB 1.9. I called Verizon Wireless and they sent me out a Bold 9650 because they didn't know why software wipes weren't working. I ended up with a few "like new" devices (aka refurbished) and ultimately a brand new Bold 9650. SAME PROBLEM! This time I KNEW it was Facebook and found the threads on Blackberry's website (despite Verizon Wireless and RIM having no idea about this issue).

I went to wipe my brand new Bold to downgrade to FB 1.8 and get things back in order and even though I UNCHECKED the option to back up my settings and applications, it STILL reinstalled all of my applications. I had to do a security wipe on the phone, download the OS from Verizon Wireless because the one that comes with DM 6 was acting weird (wanted to downgrade BBM, wanted to update the core files, etc), and do a fresh install. FINALLY I was able to download my apps over again from a clean standpoint...HOURS later. It was TORTURE. WAY more torture than just doing one wipe (naturally).

You'd think RIM would be more on top of this since they approve and author the app after FB writes it. You'd also think that their options in DM would actually do what they say.

This experience has really disappointed me to the point where I ALMOST got rid of my BB out of frustration.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:40 PM   #2
devnull
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: I747
Carrier: at&t
Default Re: Desktop Manager 6 + Facebook 1.9.xxx = EPIC FAIL!!!

Do you have a question or is this just a rant?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Old 01-05-2011, 03:35 PM   #3
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: Z30
PIN: 3353CF0C
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

Didn't quote sjt79, too long. I have the Bold 9650, upgrade every app when notified and I have version 1.9.0.20 for Facebook. I have never had a problem. Under the impression that something else could have been contributing to all the problems. IMHO.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by devnull View Post
Do you have a question or is this just a rant?
Posted via BlackBerryForums.com Mobile
Thanks for the response, but this is just a rant.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM   #5
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldrelicdvds View Post
Didn't quote sjt79, too long. I have the Bold 9650, upgrade every app when notified and I have version 1.9.0.20 for Facebook. I have never had a problem. Under the impression that something else could have been contributing to all the problems. IMHO.
Sorry for the length, but I tried to keep it as short as possible dealing with it for so long. Do you upload any pictures from your FB app? That's when it happens. If you upload one, you're fine. Once you upload a second, FREEZE! Then it only responds to the power key. After pulling the battery, you get a core error and have to reboot again. Within days, the OS is corrupt and you have to redo the phone. A friend eventually found others with the same issue (and a link to re-download 1.8) on Blackberry's website forum.
Old 01-05-2011, 04:53 PM   #6
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt79 View Post
Sorry for the length, but I tried to keep it as short as possible dealing with it for so long. Do you upload any pictures from your FB app? That's when it happens. If you upload one, you're fine. Once you upload a second, FREEZE! Then it only responds to the power key. After pulling the battery, you get a core error and have to reboot again. Within days, the OS is corrupt and you have to redo the phone. A friend eventually found others with the same issue (and a link to re-download 1.8) on Blackberry's website forum.
No complaint about the length, just my way of making it easier. No, I haven't uploaded any pics to FB from my phone, but I will test it later and post my results. Luckily, I just did a full backup an hour ago.
Old 01-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
No complaint about the length, just my way of making it easier. No, I haven't uploaded any pics to FB from my phone, but I will test it later and post my results. Luckily, I just did a full backup an hour ago.
Be warned...DM 6 does NOT wipe the handset of your settings and apps EVEN IF you uncheck that option. I don't know why. I did it two times over and the settings were gone, but the apps were back (which was obviously the reason I was doing the wipe - to get rid of the FB app!

If you don't have to/want to upload pics using the FB app and/or don't want to downgrade to 1.8, I'd suggest not even bothering. It's not worth the time - unless you enjoy the lengthy process of re-loading the OS
Old 01-05-2011, 06:57 PM   #8
oldrelicdvds
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjt79 View Post
Be warned...DM 6 does NOT wipe the handset of your settings and apps EVEN IF you uncheck that option. I don't know why. I did it two times over and the settings were gone, but the apps were back (which was obviously the reason I was doing the wipe - to get rid of the FB app!

If you don't have to/want to upload pics using the FB app and/or don't want to downgrade to 1.8, I'd suggest not even bothering. It's not worth the time - unless you enjoy the lengthy process of re-loading the OS
Uploaded 2 photos, closed FB app. Reopened and uploaded 2 more photos, no problems at all.
Old 01-05-2011, 07:23 PM   #9
sjt79
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Uploaded 2 photos, closed FB app. Reopened and uploaded 2 more photos, no problems at all.
VERY weird. It happened on my Tour 9630 and my friend's Tour 9630. I'd like to say "maybe it transferred over on the SD card" but I received a brand new Bold 9650 that comes with a new SD card. Hmmmm. Well there seem to be enough people having the issue as per Blackberry's website and they never responded to my ticket, so I guess we'll see what comes of it - if anything.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #10
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

The Facebook app for BlackBerry has always been generally crappy, behind the curve and slow. Every version released has its own set of problems.
For your own sanity, all you can really do is find the version that works for you the best and live with its quirks.

Last edited by penguin3107; 01-05-2011 at 09:51 PM..
Closed Thread