Old 07-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #1
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sprint vs Nextel Curve

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so I switched to Sprint 14 days ago, and have had miserable service for all 14 of them. There is no coverage at my home at all, really like one bar.

So Sprint will give me an Airave to boost signal in my home, if I pay them for it first, then they will credit my account (which I refuse because it is THEIR job to make sure I have signal, why pay for it first, its the principle of it).

Well now they want to change me over to Nextel, there is SUPPOSEDLY best coverage at my home, I am not so sure. and they also tell me that nextel will roam on Verizon if lost like Sprint, not sure if that is true.

ok, so my question is, does anyone have the nextel curve? It has wifi, looks very nice and maybe an upgrade over the current curve I have.

Does anyone have Nextel curve and if so how does it work? Did you have Sprint before? Do they compare?

Any help would be appreciated.

my last move is to go to ATT next, but then I have to drop the BB because I cannot afford theirs. Even the Curves are like 200 bucks, and I just cant do that with changing over 4 phones.

Thanks
Old 07-23-2009, 11:45 AM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

Nextel will NOT roam on Verizon as they use the iDEN technology and Verizon/Sprint use the CDMA technology.

The devices are similar for the most part. The main differences are that the Nextel 8350i runs on OS 4.6, has WiFi, and PTT. It is a little bigger than the 8330. Other than that they are pretty much the same.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 AM   #3
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
Nextel will NOT roam on Verizon as they use the iDEN technology and Verizon/Sprint use the CDMA technology.

The devices are similar for the most part. The main differences are that the Nextel 8350i runs on OS 4.6, has WiFi, and PTT. It is a little bigger than the 8330. Other than that they are pretty much the same.
So the Sprint people told me yet another mistruth. Oh great.

Can I ask what is PTT?
Old 07-23-2009, 11:53 AM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Push To Talk, or also known as Direct Connect.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 07-23-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh, yeah duh!! lol

thanks for the information.

I am guessing that not many people use Sprint and it appears even less use Nextel.

I guess ATT is the way for me to go. I will miss the BB WORLD
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #6
vietnam73
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9650
PIN: N/A

Sprint has over 45 million customers. If you have a Sprint Curve and pay for unlimited roaming what is the problem? I have to have unlimited roaming because if I go into certain buildings I lose Sprint's signal. Sprint is not as bad as people make it out to be. I have been with them for over 10 years and I have not have the problems like those I read about (i.e. I work at for a company who has them as a client).
Old 07-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #7
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by vietnam73 View Post
Sprint has over 45 million customers. If you have a Sprint Curve and pay for unlimited roaming what is the problem? I have to have unlimited roaming because if I go into certain buildings I lose Sprint's signal. Sprint is not as bad as people make it out to be. I have been with them for over 10 years and I have not have the problems like those I read about (i.e. I work at for a company who has them as a client).
Yes it does roam, therefore it burns my battery up three times as fast becaues it is always switching looking for a signal. I had Verizon before and had little to no issues in my home, with Sprint I have 1 bar at best and on roam I am always on the 1X or 1xev little letters and then not much better, and lose all the data transfer . I took my old vzw phone and the new phone around and the Sprint phone is consistantly far below the vzw phone, and it is to roam on that same system.

Something is up with this service that I can't quite get, it just seems weaker all around. I am happy you have good coverage you must be in a big city. I live in a city, but it is hilly and it just is crappy coverage and at my house it is just down right terrible, awful, miserable that I cannot use my phone.

The airave will fix it, but there is something fundementally irratating to me that I have to PAY for it first to fix their issues.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:38 PM   #8
southwestcomm
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Many

No carrier guarantees coverage indoors and especially if you live in a area with suspect terrain which may affect coverage.
Old 07-24-2009, 11:14 AM   #9
Elito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

I have had Sprint for 4 months and the only problem I get with them is coverage in my apartment. But I was with ATT before moving to Sprint and the reason I switched was because I didn't have coverage in my apartment with ATT too. Plus, ATT lied to me that I had 3G connection in my area, which was not true, and they had to confess later. But I am better off with Sprint because their service anywhere else is excellent and cheaper than Verizon and ATT. If you think the booster would make your connection better in your home, i suggest you get it. The cost will be absorbed by the low cost of your service and you will continue to enjoy blackberry.
Old 08-16-2009, 12:18 AM   #10
Swissoatl

Model: 8330

8350i=Cute phone but the Service=Garbage!

Get a Sprint 8330 Curve!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:28 AM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

It isn't Sprint's job to give you coverage in an area where there isn't any. You should have done your homework before you switched carriers to see which provided the best coverage when and where you needed it. All carriers have holes in service.

Who did you use previously? How was the service? Why did you switch to Sp

Before you make another mistake, just checkout which carrier has coverage when and where you will use the device - where you live, work, travel and play. Don't trust the coverage maps but use them as a starting point. Talk to friends, family, coworkers, etc.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Closed Thread