Closed Thread

Old 11-26-2008, 02:18 AM   #1
Deraj090
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9700
Carrier: AT&T
Default is this covered under warranty?

Please Login to Remove!

Dust under my screen -- The phone is about 4wks old, and I haven't taken it apart. AT&T is telling me it isn't covered under warranty and they can't do an exchange.

any suggestions?
Old 11-26-2008, 02:20 AM   #2
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

Many others have had it exchanged without issue.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:23 AM   #3
cellunlocknet
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 207B1B55
Carrier: Rogers

Wirelessly posted

You should be able to get replaced under warranty. If ATT gives you a hard time, tell them you called RIM and they said it's covered. Worked for me.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:28 AM   #4
barbwyr
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 8310

I can't imagine Troy being wrong, but I wouldn't think dust under the screen would be concidered a defect. You can insist that there is a workmanship issue as the case does not seem to be properly sealed. Be careful about embelishing any issues as they will check the phone when they get it back, or rather they say they will ,and you wouldn't want to get hit with the cost of the phone.

Also, is you get a replacement be sure to use the sleeve they provide as it helps keep dust to a minimum.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:31 AM   #5
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

There have been some good arguments for it being a defect. If you search for dust under screen here you will find a lot of results. I do have to say it if from how you handle your phone and will simply occur again if you don't protect it.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
Deraj090

This one is definitely a workmanship issue, because at certain angles, you can see LCD backlight leaking from the sides where the dust is getting in -- I've checked other 8310's and 8330's, and there is no gap..the screen on mine almost looks lifted.

They're telling me, however, that because there is no troubleshooting for this specific issue, that it isn't covered under warranty. I've been in two AT&T stores, though, and both store managers have told me that it should be covered.
Old 11-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #7
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!

Well as a good consultant, I often have to have different ways to state the same problem. In this case, I would call back and just say your screen has lost its resolution and seems to be loosing focus. That is not a lie, you can't focus on it because of the dust. If they are like verizon, they will send you a new device first, then you are set.

Good Luck...
Old 11-28-2008, 06:25 PM   #8
lynxduck

Model: 8310
Default Just got my blackberry insurance replacement today

I just got my blackberry insurance replacement today for this exact same issue. I feel there was enough visible dust in the sun for them to see it when they get back. I feel kind of bad doing it, but then again I don't feel bad because nobody else has this issue with their Curve that I know. (well, then again the only other Curve users I know around here are all using the 8320 from T-Mobile - maybe it has better craftmanship).

It is not covered by warranty on AT&T, but I was able to get around this because I had phone insurance. Although $125 is a lot for their new Tier 2 deductible they just put in place. I finally complained enough about it to get the manager to approve a credit on my bill in the amount of the dedutible, so this replacement was free for me. The replacement came within 24 hours. (OverNight Shipping) The old unit is already on its way back in standard mail.

The new unit came with 1 spec in the screen already, so obviously this is a big issue that seems to hit all the 8310 Curves. The screen is still sort of lifted too because I can see the light coming through. However, the dust spec isn't visible with the blacklight on, unlike my last unit which had a spec which was very visible with the backlight on. I suppose it depends on how the dust hits the LCD.

I have a feeling the dust is just going to build up again - and they leather case I bought with the phone didn't do a thing to help - anyone have any ideas on how to seal around the sides of the screen without voiding the warranty?
Old 11-30-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
Deraj090

so listen to this:

the first time I did my upgrade, it didn't go through the system properly, so I was able to do another one (and bought a red 8310)...hopefully it turns out better than the one I had with all the dust...I guess I'll just put the dusty one up on ebay.

gotta love flaws in the system.

If anyone wants to buy the titanium 8310, let me know.
Old 11-30-2008, 05:46 PM   #10
wooch
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Started getting dust under my VZW Curve after 1 mo. It was really coming in at one specific point. I took it in, showed it to them, and they replaced it immediately no questions asked.
Closed Thread