Old 07-15-2009, 12:14 PM   #1
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Sprint Airave Service through my router

Please Login to Remove!

Does anyone have this service? I made the jump from Verizon to Sprint for one purpose, COST. My wife and my two daughters and I were up over 300 bucks a month, and will be about 180 with Sprint. The only issue is that my service at home STINKS. Maybe two bars, and my kids are not happy with me for the change so I need to fix the issue.

Sprint has offered me this device that hooks up through my router and improves service, they are giving me the device and there is a 4 dollar a month charge to operate it.

I was just wondering if anyone had one and if so how it works. Since I broke my contract with Verizon, I suspect they would not take me back to readily lol so I would like to see if this works.

Any comments are appreciated.
Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I manage our corporate Sprint account at work and have 4 of my users with these devices at their homes. They LOVE them.

I tested one at my house and they are very easy to set up and work very well for voice (they only do voice, not data). The thing I noticed at my house is that at the time I had so-so coverage, not really poor. Because of that, my devices would be constantly swapping between the Airave and the outside signal - which drained the battery.

The people I have using them have horrible Sprint coverage at their houses and I have not heard a single complaint from them - only good things about it.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by juwaack68 View Post
I manage our corporate Sprint account at work and have 4 of my users with these devices at their homes. They LOVE them.

I tested one at my house and they are very easy to set up and work very well for voice (they only do voice, not data). The thing I noticed at my house is that at the time I had so-so coverage, not really poor. Because of that, my devices would be constantly swapping between the Airave and the outside signal - which drained the battery.

The people I have using them have horrible Sprint coverage at their houses and I have not heard a single complaint from them - only good things about it.

Hi

Thanks for the response. When you say they only do voice, does that mean things like text messaging and the web will not work through it? My main concern is that I use the phone for work and I need to work when I sit at my table at home, which I currently cannot do so without fear of dropping the call. I NEED my phone to work at home, but my kids want to use all the cool features their phone have now with Sprint, especially the unlimited texting...

I guess since you are a person of authority, how do you like this service? It appears the coverage is not as good as Verizon but in my normal areas of travel it seems to work great, even faster than vzw, and I know it roams on vzw so if there is no Sprint it will roam there. I guess I just would like to hear from someone else who has Sprint and how they like it. I read somewhere that you could change the phone to roam only, but I do not see that setting on any of the 4 phones I turned on.

thanks.
Old 07-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #4
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

I mean it only amplifies the voice service, and not the data service. However, if you have a couple of bars at your house, you may get adequete data service anyway. When voice packets drop due to poor coverage, you get bad call quality and disconnects. When data packets drop, it doesn't matter as much since the packets just keep on getting sent and you will eventually get the data - not disconnected.

Text messaging also travels the voice path, so it will enhance your kids' text messaging experience.

I have had very few issues with Sprint service (it helps that Sprint recently installed a tower 1/2 mile from my house and we have a Sprint/Nextel antenna system installed at work). Since I manage the devices at work (I'm also the BES Admin), it helps that I also know the 'lingo' when I call in for support on my personal device and can tell when a tech is not sure what they're doing.

It does roam occasionally, but usually only when I'm in a remote area or inside a large building like a mall or hockey rink.

What device(s) do you have?