Old 07-09-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
GGEvoIXMR
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T Mobile
Default Boosting Signal?

Please Login to Remove!

Lately I've been having a problem with my Blackberry going out of service. At work, I get service in the parking lot but once I enter the building, it's completely gone. Is there anyway to boost the signal so I can have service inside the building? I have T Mobile incase anyone is wondering.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

You can google "cellular boosters" and get some hits for products.

I know the little foil sheets placed in the device itself which some people sell don't do diddly squat

I have looked at the $300-500 true signal boosters for offices and home, and did feel it was worth the cost.

Those are your options.
Old 07-09-2009, 04:28 PM   #3
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGEvoIXMR View Post
Lately I've been having a problem with my Blackberry going out of service. At work, I get service in the parking lot but once I enter the building, it's completely gone. Is there anyway to boost the signal so I can have service inside the building? I have T Mobile incase anyone is wondering.
Is UMA an option for you at work?
Old 07-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
Is UMA an option for you at work?
AH, great observation... it would work.
Old 07-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #5
GGEvoIXMR

Carrier: T Mobile

I don't think UMA is an option. I'm an electrician and we're currently working at a supermarket so I'm not sure what can be done. Ive gone to so many jobs and I've never had a problem but it sucks that I'm probably gonna be stuck at this job for 5 weeks or so without being able to use my phone but one of the guys I work with has verizon and he always has service. Maybe I'll switch over eventually.

Last edited by GGEvoIXMR; 07-09-2009 at 06:38 PM..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:52 AM   #6
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

A repeater would be exactly what you need but they're generally not designed for temporary installations.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:54 AM   #7
blue_and_gold
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530,
PIN: dropped
Carrier: VERIZON

Get a different carrier
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_and_gold View Post
Get a different carrier
That really doesn't solve his problem.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #9
ctuttle

Model: 9700
Carrier: t mobile

When I was using Cingular there was a grocery store where I had a signal in the front half of the store, but it went to no service at the back of the store, so I know the issue, there are a lot of dead spots even in cities.

The UMA is probably your best inexpensive option, provided of course if the supermarket has wirless internet and will let you get on their network. If they don't have wireless but have internet perhaps you could talk them into letting you plug in a cheap wireless router that you could use to get your phone calls. You could get one of those to keep in your vehicle for $20-$30.

I work in television and many of my jobsites are severely shielded to block RF, which of course becomes an issue for using a cellphone. Since their wireless network is inside the building I can use the UMA for my phone.

Other option of course is to buy and bring a cellphone repeater to the site and amplify the cellular frequencies for everyone at the supermarket. This would probably run you $200-$300 and you would have to set it up.

If it were me I would ask at the supermarket if they have a wireless network, and if you could log on to get cellphone coverage. I've even found open networks with internet access at grocery stores when I had my Palm TX and could get email when I was at the grocery store.

The UMA option on the T-Mobile is a huge, huge advantage for T-Mobile.
Old 07-10-2009, 11:05 PM   #10
dkdk11

Carrier: T-MO

The reception of my Curve is also bad compared to other phones. The solution that I came up with is to use a conditional call forwarding (forward only when the Curve is unreachable) to a pre-paid phone (Page Plus). It is a hassle to carry two phones, but at least it works.

Last edited by dkdk11; 07-10-2009 at 11:06 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 09:48 AM   #11
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T

Ok I may be showing some ignorance but what is UMA? Is it only to Tmobile? We just switched to Sprint and my home is in a border line area for signal from good to fair, it is mostly fair, I would love to boost the signal.

I purchased a repeater that you would use in a car on ebay, goin to try it on a window in my daughters room to see if it helps, but I would like a better solution.

As soon as I saw the Sith Lord darth Jsanders I knew this topic was of interest
Old 07-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #12
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

UMA - Unlicensed Mobile Access. Tmobile is the only US carrier using it.

When using WiFi, UMA allows for your voice calling to be routed from your device to your WiFi network over the the carrier's network, and the call orginates from the carrier's server to the landline network.
Old 07-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #13
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Thank you Sith Master.

I just found out that Sprint has the same thing I can get, its called the airave and I only have to pay 5 bucks a month to boost signal in the area. It is like a mini tower using my high speed internet and then something to do with GPS as well, not sure the science behind it yet but it looks uber cool...now to find one that is not 100 bucks.

Anyone else have a curve with Sprint? Hows the service you like, dislike whatever. All I know is I cut my bill per month in half by switching all 4 lines over to Sprint, 172 a month for all of us unlimited data family plan. Nights start at 7, it seems like a better plan for sure, just have to get stronger service in the house!

I also like the unlocked gps tools, that is soooooo cool.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:44 PM   #14
monkeypaw
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
Thank you Sith Master.

I just found out that Sprint has the same thing I can get, its called the airave and I only have to pay 5 bucks a month to boost signal in the area. It is like a mini tower using my high speed internet and then something to do with GPS as well, not sure the science behind it yet but it looks uber cool...now to find one that is not 100 bucks.

Anyone else have a curve with Sprint? Hows the service you like, dislike whatever. All I know is I cut my bill per month in half by switching all 4 lines over to Sprint, 172 a month for all of us unlimited data family plan. Nights start at 7, it seems like a better plan for sure, just have to get stronger service in the house!

I also like the unlocked gps tools, that is soooooo cool.
$5/month when it's actually saving them from having to put in a new cell site? They're getting a boost in subscribers from having the Pre, but clearly still have a strange mentality about customer retention.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:55 PM   #15
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeypaw View Post
$5/month when it's actually saving them from having to put in a new cell site? They're getting a boost in subscribers from having the Pre, but clearly still have a strange mentality about customer retention.
That was my first reaction, and I still am within my 30 days so I can ditch this service, but when I sit down and look at the dollars and cents, here is what I find. My calling plan with Sprint for 4 of us is unlimited data, texting (very important with my 2 daughters) unlimited gps, free gps and directions etc...is 172 bucks for 4 of us!

Now let me break down verizon, I had two seperate accounts, one with me and my one daughter and the other with my wife and the other daughter.

1400 minute family share plan, no gps and my bb plan, and 20 bucks for 5000 messages for my daughter was about 140 a month. My wife on the same plan, but with no data charge was about 117 a month, that is with taxes etc over 300 a month to Verizon. When I called because my one daughter went over on her texts to the tune of 290 dollars over, and asked them to change my texting plan on my wifes line to cover it I was told no problem, then I got the bill and they never did it. I called back and was told by the "supervisor" that she "did not care that I was a customer for 7 years and had 4 lines, she was not going to honor the promise I was made before" basically it wiped out the overage and I was good, without it my past due was about 500 bucks!!! When I said that I have been a customer for so long and have never been treated this way, she said she did not care! Honestly, she said that. Well right then I decided it was time to change. The extreme costs, the lack of allowing me to use features that I should have on my phone (gps etc) and now this crappy ass turn in customer service, I said so long to Verizon. yes their coverage was very good, I will admit it, but as I am putting the extra 130 in my pocket every month.

I have to try the phone around town and see if I can make calls, that will be the kicker, at home I can fix. My only issue is if I drop out of sprint, I don't know where I will go...so I have to make it work.
Old 07-13-2009, 03:16 PM   #16
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

I am noticing my Tour doesnt do well in my house. Looking at options

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #17
2 Samuel 22
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 96xx
PIN: Firing
Carrier: Southern Bell, PrimeCo, Omnipoint, United Telecom

Adam, in your case I think you may want to exchange your Tour for a different unit. You mentioned a data connection problem in a different thread. I suspect it may be a defective unit if your previous device worked at home.

On topic, I have had very good success with the Wilson branded products: Wilson Electronics

Last edited by 2 Samuel 22; 07-13-2009 at 03:39 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 10:38 AM   #18
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Wirelessly posted (Its All About the U!)

Thanks Samuel. I do have the extender and am about to return it. It seems to only guarantee 1X which doesn't suffice for some of the newer apps like Social Scope etc.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-17-2009, 12:28 PM   #19
Elito
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: SPRINT

I agree with Mastdog that Sprint has some of the best plans in terms of dollars. I have gone from Verizon to Iwireless (a T-MOBILE affiliate in Iowa) to ATT, then to Sprint in 2009 only. I have unlimited data with Sprint at a lower cost, but I have a very bad connection in my apartment and have to use my landline. I am about to cancel my landline and will have to find something to boost my signal. So Mastdog can you share your experience with the device you plan to use? I am on Sprint too.