Old 07-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #1
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Need an email client!

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all, I know this may have been covered somewhere but my searches have not seem very fruitful so I thought I would ask here.

Recently the Army cut off access to its email servers through BB due to security, no more third party aggrigators. With that, I can still get my mail on my phone if I use an IMAP tool. Problem is I cannot seem to find one that is worth a darn (only found one and it did not seem to work).

Any suggestions for email clients? I find it so hard to belive there is not a good email client, similar to an outlook mobile, for the BB.

Thanks for any help!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Look at the stand alone gmail application. You will need a data connection.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:46 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

A bit of advice from a former AF officer. You just might want to think twice about it if you were cut off due to security concerns. The Government doesn't take kindly to those who try to circumvent the rules.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Good point. I tend to focus on the technical issues.

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-11-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Oh no no, I am not working around anything. They said mobile mail delivery was still possible if you had a imap application. They give the server information and all, as long as it is SSL enabled.

I would not break the rules such as that, and for sure not put it on a public board for someone to find. I worked too hard to get that clearance!

I am trying the google app, I dont have gmail tho, is that a problem?
Old 07-11-2009, 05:46 PM   #6
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

I downloaded it and have no idea what to do. All I can see is that I can forward gmail to an IMAP I did not see where I can download an IMAP server.

I need a tool to read the IMAP server info and bring my mail to the handheld.

Thanks

Last edited by mastdog; 07-11-2009 at 06:11 PM..
Old 07-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #7
purcy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint

Hello, you need to have a gmail account set up and then you log into your account (you really shoud do this part on a PC) and click on settings - Forwarding and IMAP/POP and choose Enable IMAP at the bottom. that is all that you do, then when you click on the gmail icon that you just installed (on your BB), it will ask you to log onto your account and away you go, it is all set up to stay synced with the gmail server.

Last edited by purcy; 07-12-2009 at 11:15 AM..
Old 07-12-2009, 11:41 AM   #8
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by purcy View Post
Hello, you need to have a gmail account set up and then you log into your account (you really shoud do this part on a PC) and click on settings - Forwarding and IMAP/POP and choose Enable IMAP at the bottom. that is all that you do, then when you click on the gmail icon that you just installed (on your BB), it will ask you to log onto your account and away you go, it is all set up to stay synced with the gmail server.
Hi Thank you.

I am not trying to forward my gmail to an imap account, I am trying to read an imap account with gmail. can that work? That is my question. I know I can forward the gmail to an account, but can it work in reverse?

If not can ANYONE suggest an email client, either through the bb app store (yes I will plan on 3 hours for it to load and search) or another outlet?

Thanks
Old 07-13-2009, 08:54 AM   #9
takeshi
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 8310
Carrier: at&t

There really aren't that many email clients for the BB since email is part of the BB's core functionality. Logicmail may be a possibility but I haven't seen anything recent on it.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:42 PM   #10
CanuckBB
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9900
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mastdog View Post
Hi Thank you.

I am not trying to forward my gmail to an imap account, I am trying to read an imap account with gmail. can that work? That is my question. I know I can forward the gmail to an account, but can it work in reverse?

If not can ANYONE suggest an email client, either through the bb app store (yes I will plan on 3 hours for it to load and search) or another outlet?

Thanks
Unless you can have you MIL mail forwarded to GMAIL, it won't work. Having the GMAIL servers poll IMAP is no better than having BIS poll IMAP.
Old 07-17-2009, 08:15 AM   #11
bitablespore
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Rogers Wireless

I am confused with this one... can't the BIS poll his email via IMAP if you give it the right settings?
Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #12
TXLady
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitablespore View Post
I am confused with this one... can't the BIS poll his email via IMAP if you give it the right settings?
Not if the server blocks it.

Additionally, it says right on the AKO page where it gives the instructions for setting email up with a client that it is prohibited. I don't need to find out if they really mean it or not. I'll take their word for it. I value my job.

Quote:
Email Aggregator

Note that using your AKO/DKO webmail through an email aggregator is not allowed by AKO and Army Regulations.

Using an email aggregator such as the one Blackberry uses creates a security risk but also sets the conditions for a possible compromise of your AKO/DKO username and password credentials.

Army regulations (AR 25-2 para 4-5a8) prohibit auto forwarding of official mail to non official accounts and from providing your AKO credentials to unauthorized individuals.

To prevent this risk, and mitigate the potential for a possible compromise of AKO/DKO user credentials, on February 25, 2008 AKO/DKO is blocking access to IMAP from these types of sites.

You may still use webmail (webmail.us.army.mil) or IMAP via a client such as Outlook, Outlook Express, or Thunderbird to retrieve your mail. Directions for configuring IMAP can be found at help.us.army.mil under the "Find Answers" link.

Last edited by TXLady; 07-17-2009 at 02:13 PM..
Old 07-17-2009, 05:56 PM   #13
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLady View Post
Not if the server blocks it.

Additionally, it says right on the AKO page where it gives the instructions for setting email up with a client that it is prohibited. I don't need to find out if they really mean it or not. I'll take their word for it. I value my job.

Yes that is correct. They give you access to a client that will download via IMAP and they give the server settings and everything so it can't be illegal. They don't have an issue with getting the mail remotely, just the fact that the password was stored on a bb server. That is why I started this thread, I need an email client!
Closed Thread