Old 07-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #1
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: ----
PIN: Go Steelers!
Carrier: AT&T
Default Switched from verizon to Sprint

Please Login to Remove!

Ok, so Verizon has pushed me too far, terrible customer service, locked GPS and too expensive I could not take it anylonger, so I switched over to Sprint.

Cut my rates in half, got the same phone and now I have a problem.

I tried to use the device switch and when it uses my old phone it keeps bugging out before it can be done, ok so plan 1 is shot to heck .

So plan two was to get the current phone and back it up, and then just restore on my new device, GREAT PLAN except the current desktop software does not recognize my new sprint phone. Is the desktop software tied to the carrier? That is cool, but also frustrating because I have to go through all the updates to get the sprint version up to date.

Ok, last stupid question...What is the current version of the software for this phone? my Verizon carrier phone had a .77 at the end, the Sprint has a .131 and I am betting one is newer, but are either current?

Thanks for your help...
Old 07-10-2009, 05:57 PM   #2
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You cannot activate a Verizon phone on Sprint, or vice versa. The technology is compatible, but nether carrier will allow it.

Which 8330 do you have? There is the 8330m and regular 8330. different firmware for each one. The link for the latest handheld software version is a sticky at the top of this forum.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #3
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Hi, Thanks for the quick response.

I must not have articulated to well my situation. I got a new curve from sprint, a whole new phone. not the m, that is the nextel one, just the regular one.

I downloaded the new desktop software and it still does not see the new phone. I am stumped, now on two things. One I cannot use the switch device wizard with the old phone, and now it wont see the new phone at all...

Also, when I tried to log into the email accounts, it does not seem to recognize me. I thought it was through bb not through the carrier. do I need to create a new account with Sprint?

Any help is always appreciated.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:10 PM   #4
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A

Yes, you need a new BIS account through Sprint. It's different from Verizon.

https://bis.na.blackberry.com/html?brand=sprint

This should not affect the BlackBerry Desktop Manager software, though. You should be able to use the Device Switch Wizard. Which version of Desktop Manager are you using?

Also the "m" version of the device is NOT for Nextel. The Nextel device is the 8350i. The 8330 and 8330 are regular CMDA devices. So you need to be sure which you have.

Last edited by Motorcycle Mama; 07-10-2009 at 08:12 PM..
Old 07-10-2009, 09:07 PM   #5
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You will need to configure DM to find the new PIN. It probably still thinks you have the old device.

What error message is DM giving using the Switch Device Wizard? If you have a media card, remove it. You can also try a battery pull and then reconnect to DM.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-11-2009, 01:11 AM   #6
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubdub View Post
You will need to configure DM to find the new PIN. It probably still thinks you have the old device.

What error message is DM giving using the Switch Device Wizard? If you have a media card, remove it. You can also try a battery pull and then reconnect to DM.
This sounds like it may be the case, the DM thinks it is still working with the old phone and does not even recognize the new one. I did uninstall the old version, but I did not remove user data, that may have been my error.

How do I configure it to see the new phone? am I better off just uninstalling again and trying to reinstall? I have already updated it tho, so that would be a bummer.

Mamma -- I do not think I have the curve "m" but I have no idea how to check, sorry verizon only had one version, I have had a curve but the whole Sprint thing is only two days old for me, I apologize.

The error I get is that the DM could not update my phone and was shutting down, it throws a debug box up and then craps out. It is the last step in the process. I will try to get the exact error in the morning..

Last edited by mastdog; 07-11-2009 at 01:15 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 07:57 AM   #7
Dubdub
Appleinator

What version of DM are you using?

What OS is on your PC?

If you are using XP or Vista, try DM 4.7. You could try a battery pull on the new BB, sometimes that fixes the problem.

You can also go into DM and ask it to search

Probably the easiest fix would be to completely remove the current DM and then reinstall a new version and configure it for your new device and items you need to sync.

-->>Twitter

Last edited by Dubdub; 07-11-2009 at 08:22 AM..
Old 07-11-2009, 08:23 AM   #8
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have version 4.7 59 from the site. I think I am going to try to delete this version off and remove user data and try loading the version from the cd that came with the phone. It will not see my new SPrint phone for more than 30 seconds.

I tried the device switch wizard just now and it did go through the old phone without a hitch, but as soon as I plugged the new one in it registered for a second and then as it was tryng to restore it I got this error "A fata error has occured while updating your device software. Please try again." Well at least they are polite, but I think the issue there is that the phone was not registering any longer, its like the cord is not even connected.

I am xp I have had the software on this machine for the last phone with no hitch! I think its time I call Sprint
Old 07-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #9
blue_and_gold
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530,
PIN: dropped
Carrier: VERIZON

I always had issues with the device switch wizard have you tried a backup of the old phone and restore on the new one?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue_and_gold View Post
I always had issues with the device switch wizard have you tried a backup of the old phone and restore on the new one?
I have used that in the past with no issues at all, but I think the problem now is that my phone will not be seen by the computer . I even went back and unistalled the newest version and delted all user data and went back to version 4.5 thinking that it may be that the phone and the dm were out of sync, thats not it. Dangit I think I have to call sprint.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:07 AM   #11
Dubdub
Appleinator

You can also try a PC reboot and a battery pull ont he BB.

Also, do not connect the BB via a HUB. Plug it directly into the PC.

-->>Twitter

Old 07-11-2009, 03:53 PM   #12
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Well it appears that I have solved the problems. There was a bent pin in the connecting port on the phone. I have put in for a new phone which will be here this week, but in the mean time I bent the pin back down and was able to get the DM to see the phone and do the device switch, it appears to have worked!!

I guess that bent pin was enough to cause it to crap out, which makes total sense. This is good because now I will be able to do it likity split this Friday when the phone comes in.

Now I can offically say GOOD BY VERIZON!! yeah!!!

free gps is like manna from heaven!
Old 07-12-2009, 02:46 PM   #13
mastdog
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
You cannot activate a Verizon phone on Sprint, or vice versa. The technology is compatible, but nether carrier will allow it.

Which 8330 do you have? There is the 8330m and regular 8330. different firmware for each one. The link for the latest handheld software version is a sticky at the top of this forum.
I have to apologize, I have an 8330m, I did not think so, but I do...Sorry for the misinformation.
Old 07-12-2009, 06:55 PM   #14
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master

Model: 9930
PIN: N/A

It's all good. No biggie.

Just make sure that if you update the OS that you select the correct one because they are different versions.
Closed Thread