Old 07-05-2010, 04:02 PM   #1
chubbyhubby

Model: 9700
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile
Default Appworld without a data plan???

Please Login to Remove!

Greetings All,
I have a 9700 with T-Mobile, just upgraded to 5.0.0.714 yesterday. Now, to unlock the keypad, I have to use the unlock key on the upper left corner. Previously, I hit the 'A' button and then the green dial button. Any way to revert to the old way to unlock? Also, am I able to download apps directly from Appworld to my phone, without a data plan? I tried through the browser, only to be told my device doesn't meet the minimum requirements.... TIA
Old 07-05-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
MidnightDraven
BlackBerry Mensa

Model: 9000
Carrier: Tesco Mobile

You need to downgrade your OS to a version that support it.

Appworld is not suppose to used to download apps via the browser on a BB; that's why there is the app. But it requires a Blackberry data plan to use.

"That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings... and call off Christmas."
Old 07-05-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

You need a BB dataplan for any RIM based service - and app world is one of them.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 07-05-2010, 07:45 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Model: 9650
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Otherwise, you basically have voice, SMS text and a high priced paper weight

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 07-11-2010, 07:41 PM   #5
sav22

Carrier: Fido

no disrespect but some people don't know what they are talking about.... I am not the biggest noob but do have basic understanding of the blackberry. I have successfully been able to use AppWorld via wifi without ever having a data plan. Although I have my phone unlocked which was a Bell branded phone. And NOOOOOO.. for those that think im going to be accumulating charges on my fido bill for internet usuage.. I have not.

The reason I believed it worked, may be wrong....
I uninstalled AppWorld through desktop manager and downloaded it from blackberry.com which in that case is not branded by the carrier Bell with no restrictions on must having a data plan.

All I am saying is it is possible!!

today I noticed my vendeor version or something like that was all zeros maybe thats it?

and for those in doubt I might be inspired to make a video of me using it.

I've also heard stories that you couldn't access appworld through the blackberry broswer because of coding issues from RIMS side but I have been able to do that too...
Old 07-11-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav22 View Post
I have successfully been able to use AppWorld via wifi without ever having a data plan.
My friend has also been able to use AppWorld via WiFi without having a data plan. He has a Bold 9000 on Rogers which he unlocked. The SIM/account doesn't have any data at all (it is a corporate account/plan where data is blocked).

My Tech Blog
Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #7
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

So SAV22 your tied to the WiFI to have any app you download work. This seems kind of limiting. Ixxx8217;m not sure about your carrier, maybe a small one but the larger carriers will automatically add a data plan if they detect any attempt to bypass their requirements. SO, if you stay home your all set based on your assessment. Me I like the BB to work anywhere I go.

Last edited by tsac; 07-11-2010 at 08:09 PM..
Old 08-19-2010, 10:46 PM   #8
dineo

Carrier: Bell Mobility

Quote:
no disrespect but some people don't know what they are talking about.... I am not the biggest noob but do have basic understanding of the blackberry. I have successfully been able to use AppWorld via wifi without ever having a data plan. Although I have my phone unlocked which was a Bell branded phone. And NOOOOOO.. for those that think im going to be accumulating charges on my fido bill for internet usuage.. I have not.

I uninstalled AppWorld through desktop manager and downloaded it from blackberry.com which in that case is not branded by the carrier Bell with no restrictions on must having a data plan.

today I noticed my vendeor version or something like that was all zeros maybe thats it?

I've also heard stories that you couldn't access appworld through the blackberry broswer because of coding issues from RIMS side but I have been able to do that too...
HOW??? I just downloaded App World via the computer and opened it up thinking it would be using Wi-Fi since my Wi-Fi is on and I only have the Email & BBM data plan... Am i now going to incur costs for downloading a free app on App World?
Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by dineo View Post
I only have the Email & BBM data plan... Am i now going to incur costs for downloading a free app on App World?
You can't. AppWorld won't work without the full data plan. Perhaps your limited BBM data plan includes what you need.

Last edited by JSanders; 08-21-2010 at 08:44 AM..
Old 08-21-2010, 05:48 AM   #10
lmcjipo
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Q10
Carrier: Bell Wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
You can't. AppWorld won't work with the full data plan. Perhaps your limited BBM data plan includes what you need.
It might be carrier dependent since as I mentioned, my friend at work who has a Blackberry Bold 9000 can download applications using WiFi via App World.

I'm not sure how he got it to work but it does work and I know for a fact that his SIM doesn't have any sort of data plan associated with it, whether it is regular data or BIS/BES data. Even when I place my prepaid SIM into his phone which has absolutely no data as well, I can browse and download applications using WiFi from App World. I can't explain it.

I know that he got his Blackberry Bold 9000 second hand as a gift and the previous owner had a BIS data plan.

My Tech Blog
Old 08-21-2010, 05:56 AM   #11
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Quote:

So what do you say to all the other people who are in a supported country and do not have a blackberry data plan and cannot download/use blackberry app world at all?

Frankly, you cannot use blackberry data apps without a data plan. Some do at least for a little while because they still have the service books, as I understand it, but only until they lose the service books.
Old 08-25-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
ppwlee

Model: 8900
Carrier: rogers

Yes you can use app world with WI-FI only. I have used it on all 3 BB devices that I own (8900, 9000, 9700). Most of the info that I need are either during work/hm times and I have wifi access therefore I don't need a data plan. But you do need to download the service books to enable that which I recalled seeing a link somewhere. Try google for "service book wifi blackberry".
Old 09-17-2010, 10:36 AM   #13
crazyaxe

Carrier: Wind

BB app world can be used:
- with WI-Fi
- with WAP
- with BIS/BES
Closed Thread