Old 08-19-2010, 01:17 PM   #1
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW
Default VZW Network Extender problem

Please Login to Remove!

I use a VZW Network Extender at home due to our coverage. We have two 9650 devices that have always worked well when in range of the extender device. The two 9650s are set up identically except for the obvious (PIN, phone#, mail, etc...). Recently, one of the 9650s will not reconnect with the extender after going out of range. The only way to reconnect is a battery pull. Cycling the phone's radio or a 3 finger reboot doesn't work. The only thing I can think of as a contributing factor is the problem 9650 has been connected to BB Desktop V6, while the other has only been connected to V5. The phones are both on a hosted BES, so the BB Desktop is used only to do an occasional backup.

VZW Network Extender support has been unable to resolve the issue after two 30 minute calls and numerous experiments.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
Old 08-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #2
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

I have a VZW Network extender but as a BIS user. Take the connecting device off the network and see if you can get the troublesome one to connect first. Does the phones react to the router's wifi?

LET'S GO CANES!
Old 08-21-2010, 11:28 PM   #3
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

PIN: T o' Bitters
Carrier: VZW

It doesn't matter which one connects first. The problem still exists even if the other device is completely out of range.

But here's a new wrinkle! The problem device will go back on the extender if I do a PRL update. But each time I leave the extender signal reach, I have to repeat that process, so that's only a temporary solution...and pretty much a pain in the butt. I left the house four times today...and did four PRL updates.

So, in summary I have two ways to get the phone on the extender; #1 being a physical battery pull; #2 being a PRL update.

That now makes me think there's a PRL delivery issue with the extender or the PRL is being corrupted somehow. This has been a problem area anyway due to the VZW-Alltel merger. We've had numerous issues with bad PRLs and we were often advised to use alternate PRLs during the transition.

I'll be call VZW again Monday to report the PRL issue.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
akosnitzky
BBF Moderator

Carrier: Verizon BIS

Thank you. Please keep us posted so others can learn from your experience

LET'S GO CANES!
Closed Thread