Closed Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:21 PM   #1
yahtzee
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9650
Carrier: Sprint
Default Car charger questions for Tour

Please Login to Remove!

So I have gone through 3 car chargers now with the Tour. Yes, I understand that the battery life blows on this (which makes finding a car charger that much more important):

Started off with a brand new car charger that I had purchased for my Curve (The grey Nextel one with mini-USB) and added the mini--->micro-USB adapter.....no charge at all (doesn't even give indication that it's plugged in).

Bought the $30 Sprint micro-USB charger - have to force it into the charging port and then have to hold device with entire left hand to pull out. Tried 2 others in the store and they were all the same. They also barely charged the device at all....

Yesterday, I bought a $20 Rocketcharger from Best Buy.....fits much better but is barely adding a charge to my device....

what gives here? Ideally, I'd like to find a charger that allows me to use the adapter so that I can charge other things in my car (other people's Curves, my SkyCaddy, etc) but can't find a mini-USB charger that works with the Moto adapter.....any suggestions?
Old 08-15-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
xxDruMMer BoYxx
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9630
PIN: PM and Ask
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by yahtzee View Post
So I have gone through 3 car chargers now with the Tour. Yes, I understand that the battery life blows on this (which makes finding a car charger that much more important):

Started off with a brand new car charger that I had purchased for my Curve (The grey Nextel one with mini-USB) and added the mini--->micro-USB adapter.....no charge at all (doesn't even give indication that it's plugged in).

Bought the $30 Sprint micro-USB charger - have to force it into the charging port and then have to hold device with entire left hand to pull out. Tried 2 others in the store and they were all the same. They also barely charged the device at all....

Yesterday, I bought a $20 Rocketcharger from Best Buy.....fits much better but is barely adding a charge to my device....

what gives here? Ideally, I'd like to find a charger that allows me to use the adapter so that I can charge other things in my car (other people's Curves, my SkyCaddy, etc) but can't find a mini-USB charger that works with the Moto adapter.....any suggestions?
Some chargers dont charge as quick in the car as it is. Also, using non-OEM chargers can damage your device by overcharging it. By reading ur description, i havent found that you have tried any Blackberry Chargers. That might be something you can try, an actual OEM Blackberry charger.

EnJOYing my TOUR!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 11:33 AM   #3
vf171
Knows Where the Search Button Is

PIN: N/A

Interested to here more from the OP about this. As I posted in another thread I'm seeing some charging issues and I AM using all BB chargers. I'm searching the forums now and I am beginninf to see a pattern here. I would really like for those w/ charging issues to respond to the posts if they are still having this issues. I need to find a solution to this or decide if I am going to return the phone if this keeps occuring.

BTW, I do not use a car charger, this is the data cable and wall charger that came with the phone.
Old 09-12-2009, 12:36 PM   #4
mhellgeson

PIN: 30C21665
Carrier: Verizon

I bought one with my verizon tour, so it would go with the phone. I do not have any problems except the phone get hot period while charging. So in the car i run the ac and the normal 3 hours time frame get cut down to 20 minutes or less. the phone won't over heat and my charge time is constant.
Old 09-12-2009, 01:03 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

I bought the official Sprint car charger at my local Sprint shop, and it works perfectly. Maybe your actual Tour itself is faulty? I get pretty decent battery life with mine.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #6
juwaack68
iPhone Convert

Model: iP5
PIN: to beans
Carrier: I'm not

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47 View Post
I bought the official Sprint car charger at my local Sprint shop, and it works perfectly. Maybe your actual Tour itself is faulty? I get pretty decent battery life with mine.
I'm not using an official car charger, but my Sprint Tour charges fine with the Motorola charger using the mini to micro adapter.

@ the OP - The issues you're having make me think there is an issue with the USB port on the device.
Old 09-13-2009, 07:22 AM   #7
PHLwok

Could a few folks post model #'s of car chargers known to work with the Tour? Verizon wants $30 for one, and their web site seems to indicate it works with a lot of non-RIM hardware, so I'm certain it's not a RIM device.

Obviously, I'd like to spend less than $30 for a charger, but if that's what it'll take to get a reliable one I'll consider it.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #8
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHLwok View Post
Could a few folks post model #'s of car chargers known to work with the Tour? Verizon wants $30 for one, and their web site seems to indicate it works with a lot of non-RIM hardware, so I'm certain it's not a RIM device.

Obviously, I'd like to spend less than $30 for a charger, but if that's what it'll take to get a reliable one I'll consider it.
You could go with the iGo charger from Radio Shack or other vendors. You buy a charger (mobile or AC) which comes with one free charge adapter tip. Then add any other adapter tips for other equipment you own. The tips are designed to deliver the correct voltage and current to the connected device. They pretty much cover everything around. Check out Home at iGo, Inc.

I use them for all my small electronics, including my Tour, scanners, Amateur radios, Bluetooth devices. It's a lot easier carrying around one charger and a small group of tips than several chargers, especially when traveling.
Old 09-13-2009, 10:08 AM   #9
Flyer729

Model: 8900
Carrier: T-Mobile

I bought an OEM blackberry car charger for my Curve 8900. I also started using it with my Tour and it works flawlessly. Go to Amazon, they sell OEM car charges for less than $10 bucks. Hope it helps.
Old 09-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #10
PHLwok

Thanks for reminding me of iGo - I actually have their air/car power adapter from work, and it looks like I can buy an A97 tip for it for under $10 to work in my car with the Tour.
Old 09-13-2009, 02:50 PM   #11
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9930
PIN: HEAD
Carrier: Verizon BIS

So you have spent how much on three different car chargers and now buying a fourth when you could have bought the 30 dollar official bb charger from Verizon in the first place and had it work?
Old 09-13-2009, 02:59 PM   #12
OrangeBDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Alis2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydman View Post
So you have spent how much on three different car chargers and now buying a fourth when you could have bought the 30 dollar official bb charger from Verizon in the first place and had it work?
Well if the OP was smart they would've returned the others costing them nothing within the return policy, other than the price of gas maybe? And they were probably looking for something cheaper that worked just as well, which through this thread it seems they found for $10?
Old 09-13-2009, 03:11 PM   #13
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

Aye but now its been almost a month and the poor guy does not have a working car charger. Would think the extra cashola would have been worth it. They give ya 15% off accesories with new phones anyway.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:17 PM   #14
OrangeBDS
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Alis2

True. I certainly would've gotten something official from Blackberry myself, it really depends on how much hassle you're willing to go through to save $20.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:23 PM   #15
PHLwok

To be clear, I'm not the OP, but the iGo solution with the A97 tip does work well. That's only going to be in the $10 range if you already have the rest of the iGo equipment, but if you do it's the best option.
Old 09-13-2009, 03:30 PM   #16
Sydman
CrackBerry Addict

That is cool. I have never seen that Igo before. Pretty neat system they have worked out there. 17 bucks for the car charger and you get a free "tip" with purchase. Have been looking for a car charger for my Zune for awhile that was not their 50 dollar one. And now I find it. Cheers PHL.