Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
jvet4
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: verizon
Default Adding Contact Alert to Active Profile

Please Login to Remove!

I have upgraded from the 8703e which had an option under profiles to have a different setting for "important phone calls".

On the Tour, I see the option for setting a contact alert but cant figure out how to assign it to the active profile.

Any help is appreciated!

Last edited by jvet4; 07-18-2009 at 09:28 AM..
Old 07-19-2009, 09:37 AM   #2
Joe1004
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Z10
PIN: t of ale anyone?
Carrier: VZW

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvet4
I have upgraded from the 8703e which had an option under profiles to have a different setting for "important phone calls".

On the Tour, I see the option for setting a contact alert but cant figure out how to assign it to the active profile.

Any help is appreciated!
Contact alerts are active across all profiles. RIM states it overrides even silent and vibrate only, but I haven't had a chance to check it.

FYI - I have an open case with RIM regarding contact alerts. When you set one, the device DOES NOT make an audible alert for that contacts messages while holstered, no matter what you set. There is no setting like in the other profile settings to make sound while holstered.
I will advise what I find out.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #3
jvet4

Wow, that is a bizarre way of implementing it and makes it a pain to use.

So if I have my phone set to vibrate, and one of those people calls, it will ring??? That is real inconvenient when you are say in a meeting and want to have the phone remain silent.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9650
PIN: T o' Bitters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe1004 View Post
Wirelessly posted

Contact alerts are active across all profiles. RIM states it overrides even silent and vibrate only, but I haven't had a chance to check it.

FYI - I have an open case with RIM regarding contact alerts. When you set one, the device DOES NOT make an audible alert for that contacts messages while holstered, no matter what you set. There is no setting like in the other profile settings to make sound while holstered.
You are absolutely correct on the holstered issue! That's been driving me nuts trying to figure out why. Glad to see a confirmation!!!

And yes, please share any response. Thanks.

Last edited by BeachBumSteve; 07-19-2009 at 02:43 PM..
Old 07-19-2009, 03:39 PM   #5
Joe1004

Wirelessly posted

An update as I mess around with this...
Contact alerts DO NOT override vibrate/silent profiles if you have the settings on "Active Profile".
Kind of nice if you have one contact you want to ring/alert a certain way no matter what.
However, holstered issue remains a mess no matter what I do.
Old 07-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #6
jvet4

I did a little testing on this and noticed the same thing, nothing from my contacts in the "Alert" acts differently from the active profile.

I have also notices that PIN messages do not seem to cause my phone to vibrate in the Vibrate Only profile either.
Old 07-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #7
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Wirelessly posted

I did a little testing and found a workaround for this issue. Edit the contact's alerts; change vibration to "custom"; change in/out of holster to "in and out".

Seems to restore the sound when in the holster...as long as you don't mind the vibrate too.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 AM   #8
Joe1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post
I did a little testing and found a workaround for this issue. Edit the contact's alerts; change vibration to "custom"; change in/out of holster to "in and out".

Seems to restore the sound when in the holster...as long as you don't mind the vibrate too.
HOLY CRAP!

You win the prize of the century. I fancy myself an able Blackberry user. I did not find that setting. I will now test it.

The thing I want to test is if the sound then comes though in silent or vibrate only.

RIM will need to send us all a little finder's fee check when I call back and say "I figured it out and thank a lot for putting it in the owner's manual"!!

** EDIT **

I tested the issues I outlined in these posts. Everything is working as designed. When you set a contact alert and adjust the custom vibrate settings, they work as expected. The volume does adjust across profiles properly as well. (Loud, Silent, Vibrate only, etc.)

THANK YOU! I will report to RIM on Monday and close my case. Hopefully they will post this in the KB.

I believe it a touch confusing that getting sound to work in holster is adjusted in the Vibrate section. It seems like it should turn vibrate on and off in holster, not the sound. Oh well.... IT WORKS!! Kudos to you!

Last edited by Joe1004; 07-25-2009 at 09:27 AM.. Reason: Problem Tested
Old 07-25-2009, 09:30 AM   #9
Joe1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachBumSteve View Post

Along with this - I set vibrate to "short" and "1" and it is barely noticeable and the tone comes quickly. Probably as close as you can get to no vibration.

I suspect RIM may adjust this to ease the confusion in a future release. I guess we'll see.
Old 07-25-2009, 12:25 PM   #10
BeachBumSteve
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
HOLY CRAP!

You win the prize of the century. I fancy myself an able Blackberry user. I did not find that setting. I will now test it.

The thing I want to test is if the sound then comes though in silent or vibrate only.

RIM will need to send us all a little finder's fee check when I call back and say "I figured it out and thank a lot for putting it in the owner's manual"!!

** EDIT **

I tested the issues I outlined in these posts. Everything is working as designed. When you set a contact alert and adjust the custom vibrate settings, they work as expected. The volume does adjust across profiles properly as well. (Loud, Silent, Vibrate only, etc.)

THANK YOU! I will report to RIM on Monday and close my case. Hopefully they will post this in the KB.

I believe it a touch confusing that getting sound to work in holster is adjusted in the Vibrate section. It seems like it should turn vibrate on and off in holster, not the sound. Oh well.... IT WORKS!! Kudos to you!
You're welcome!

You may want to report the workaround to RIM, but leave the case open. I really don't think this is how it's supposed to work...but more likely another symptom of the bug you found. OTOH, if you leave the case open, it's possible they could hose it up even more!!!

I'll leave it to you to decide...
Old 07-26-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
VJgamer

Model: 8330
Carrier: Sprint

Contact Alerts/Exceptions have had a major bug in them since 4.5. I have detailed it here: http://supportforums.blackberry.com/...&thread.id=472
Old 07-27-2009, 05:20 AM   #12
rocky3178

Model: 7100T
PIN: N/A
Carrier: optus
Default change contacts page

i wish to change the way the contacts page looks so that i can have the most value information on the contact up the top. in other words i would like to design a contact page to suit my business needs
Closed Thread