Old 04-19-2009, 02:11 PM   #1
dajawu
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9000
PIN: 20E0AB29
Carrier: ATT
Default WiFi Problem

Please Login to Remove!

Hey everyone. I just got a brand new Blackberry Bold on the ATT network. I got it for a bunch of reasons but one feature I really was looking for was WiFi. You see at my work I get no reception but I have access to the WiFi. I read online that I can make calls through the WiFi yet it doesn't seem to work. I connect to it fine both at work and at home and I can surf the web and text message but I can't seem to make or recieve calls. I turned off the radio and turned on the wifi at my house to test it and everytime I try to call it says to turn on the radio. I really need this feature to work at my work due to the lack of signal!

Al
Old 04-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

You cannot make calls over the Bold's WiFi radio. It does not support UMA.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:29 PM   #3
obentou
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: ROGERS

You'll probably be better off with the Javelin 8900 since that has UMA.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:31 PM   #4
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by obentou View Post
You'll probably be better off with the Javelin 8900 since that has UMA.
That won't make a difference on at&t as at&t does not support UMA.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:42 PM   #5
dajawu

That sucks everything I read said I could do it. This is from the Blackberry site under wifi support for the Bold:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS networks let you maintain a virtual connection to the wireless network for data services. GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution) and UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) are packet-switched networks, designed for wide-area data communication, while GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) offers high quality mobile voice services. UMTS, also known as 3GSM, offers simultaneous voice and data functionality, and supports higher download speeds. GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks are operated by AT&T and T-Mobile® in the United States, and by Rogersxxx8482; Wireless in Canada
Old 04-19-2009, 02:47 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajawu View Post
That sucks everything I read said I could do it. This is from the Blackberry site under wifi support for the Bold:

GSM/GPRS/EDGE/UMTS networks let you maintain a virtual connection to the wireless network for data services. GPRS (General Packet Radio Service), EDGE (Enhanced Data rates for Global Evolution) and UMTS (Universal Mobile Telecommunications System) are packet-switched networks, designed for wide-area data communication, while GSM (Global System for Mobile Communications) offers high quality mobile voice services. UMTS, also known as 3GSM, offers simultaneous voice and data functionality, and supports higher download speeds. GSM/GPRS/EDGE networks are operated by AT&T and T-Mobile® in the United States, and by Rogers™ Wireless in Canada
That doesn't mention anything about WiFi.

Anyway, you were misinformed. You cannot make voice calls over the WiFi radio in the Bold regardless of the carrier whose SIM card is in the phone. Further, if you get a handset that does support voice calls over WiFi like the 8900, you will still won't be able to make use of that feature with an at&t SIM card.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #7
dajawu

Damn friggen Tmobile would have got my contract but they said I had to wait 62 days for them to run my credit report and I just couldn't wait that long!!! Ohh well guess next time I will go with them.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #8
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Damn friggen Tmobile would have got my contract but they said I had to wait 62 days for them to run my credit report and I just couldn't wait that long!!! Ohh well guess next time I will go with them.
62 day wait to run your credit?!? That doesn't seem right. They've always run mine right in the store.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:55 PM   #9
dajawu

Here is the story that goes with that one. So I ordered an 8900 from wirefly and got denied. I called Tmobile and asked them what the deal was. Aparently I had owed them 42 dollors from a few years back that I didn't know about. I paid it right away and they said that I would now be eligable for a new account. So I went through Wirefly again but still got denied. After talking to tmobile again they said the problem was the first time they ran my credit report was before I paid off the bill, now that it is paid off they would have to run my credit again which they couldn't do for another 62 days!!! So I went with ATT and the Bold.
Old 04-19-2009, 02:59 PM   #10
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Quote:
Here is the story that goes with that one. So I ordered an 8900 from wirefly and got denied. I called Tmobile and asked them what the deal was. Aparently I had owed them 42 dollors from a few years back that I didn't know about. I paid it right away and they said that I would now be eligable for a new account. So I went through Wirefly again but still got denied. After talking to tmobile again they said the problem was the first time they ran my credit report was before I paid off the bill, now that it is paid off they would have to run my credit again which they couldn't do for another 62 days!!! So I went with ATT and the Bold.
Gotcha.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:04 AM   #11
sheitan

Model: bold
PIN: N/A
Carrier: mtel

t-mo r so lame sometimes ...
Old 04-21-2009, 08:22 AM   #12
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7