BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
Carboy
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8110
PIN: N/A
Carrier: AT&T
Default Unlock Instructions for 8110 from AT&T won't work ??

Please Login to Remove!

I have a AT&T 8110 that I want to give to a relative that lives in S. America. I have confirmed that it would work down there, but my problem is unlocking the BB. I have confirmed the IMEI number, and the unlock code from AT&T. That's the good news. But when I follow the instructions and enter the key strokes they told me and as I have seen on a number of other "unlock" sites the phone does not show any response. According to AT&T, you only have 5 tries before the phone will be forever locked to AT&T, and I think I have used 2. Can't tell for sure as the phone shows no acceptance of the entries nor any other reaction. What am I missing in the unlock process?? Any help would sure be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any advice.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #2
stevetaz
CrackBerry Addict

Model: S III
Carrier: sprint
Default Re: Unlock Instructions for 8110 from AT&T won't work ??

Shouldn't you be asking AT&T? They provided the unlock code and should be able to provide technical assistance, no?
Old 01-12-2012, 08:33 PM   #3
Carboy

I have talked to them twice, and got the same instructions both times. And those key strokes are what's on other "unlock" sites as well. So maybe I am missing something simple, can't see the forest for the trees perhaps.....
Old 01-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
tsac
BlackBerry God

Model: Z10
PIN: No Pin just a Tack
Carrier: at&t

Where did you get the code? Look at the top of the Forum page for a service this site offers. Very inexpensive and the most important thing......it works.

also read the instructions on entering the codes in the FAQ

http://www.blackberryfaq.com/index.p..._BlackBerry%3F

Last edited by tsac; 01-12-2012 at 08:36 PM..
Old 01-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #5
Carboy

I got the same unlock code from two different tech people at AT&T, on two different days. Some "unlock" sites show MEPPD, and others show only MEPD. AT&T instructions were to use the four digit MEPD. Some also say to use caps, others don't. You tube videos go both ways. So that's why I came to the BB Forum for some knowledgeable advice. The steps from AT&T and other sites are like what's shown on the link in your reply to me. I have tried to enter the steps and codes two times, but it doesn't appear to have taken. So maybe I still have my 5 tries left. BTW, I wiped the phone before I started this and maybe that causes some conflict? I do thank you for your imput.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM   #6
dc/dc
Spam Reporter

Model: 6230
Carrier: Voicestream

Both ways are correct. MEPPD is for SureType devices like yours. If the code is not working, you need to contact AT&T. Be sure to give them the IMEI that is shown when you enter *#06# in the phone dialler.

That said, this forum is not associated with RIM. We are just volunteer enthusiasts.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Carboy

dc/dc, thanks for your info. Do you think if I entered the wrong unlock code that that would still count against my 5 tries, or would that have no impact?
Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

It would absolutely count against the 5 tries.
Old 01-13-2012, 07:23 PM   #9
BB-Tech support
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9790
Carrier: Rogers

here are instructions

1) Turn off/Disable all connections (Bluetooth, WIFI and Network communications).
2) Go to Settings
3) Go to Options
4) Go to Advanced Options
5) Go to SIM Card
6) Type "meppd" (please note that you will not see what you type on the screen). With some blackberrys you may have to type meppd in capital letters (MEPPD). A new menu should drop down. If your phone is locked you will see "Active" or "Enabled" beside "Network".

Note: If nothing happens when you enter meppd, then please restart the process with a SIM card in the phone. Sometimes, certain versions require a SIM card.

7) Type "mepp2" (Hold ALT and press 2 to get the number 2) (Please note that you will NOT see what you type on the screen)
8) It will ask you for the unlock code. Note: On the right hand side of the prompt you will see "X left", where X is the number of tries you have left to enter the code. NEVER let this number go below 4. Once you get to 0 your phone will be hard-locked.
9) Enter the 8 or 16 digit unlock code and then press enter to confirm (only enter the unlock code once!!!). You should get a "code accepted" message. Your phone is now unlocked!

*****If you get a "code error" please see the first question in our Questions and Answers section.*****

10) Once unlocked Turn All Connections ON.
11) After the phone is unlocked, remove the battery while the phone is on, insert SIM as desired and re-insert the battery.

Please note: If you plan on using your Blackberry with another carrier/network, please make sure your phone is compatible with the carrier/network you wish to transfer to. Please call the carrier or visit their website to find this information. When you plan on using another carrier please make sure that you follow the instructions located in the first posting on this page (certain models only).

pasted from FreeMyBlackBerry.com

also there you can get a code free of charge

Last edited by BB-Tech support; 01-13-2012 at 07:25 PM..
Old 01-13-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
Carboy

Thank you all for your info and advice. Tsac, I did inquire of the unlock company in the FAQ's -- [email address] and found them to be very helpful. Their guy Steve sent me a response in just a few minutes and was indeed a "Lightning Fast Unlocking Service", so thanks for your suggestion. It seems that I need the dunce hat, maybe my problem stems from not doing OS updates as I should have. And that if the phone shows no response, I still have my 5 lives. Anyone know where I can get a list of the updates needed for an 8110? Or can I just install the latest one and be OK? And the same on the DM?
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #11
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

You can skip the earlier updates and just install the latest OS version. They're in a sticky at the top of the 8100-series forum. Just make sure you get an OS specifically for the 8110. Don't use an 8100 OS or an 8120 version.

Same for Desktop Manager, but that you get from BlackBerry - BlackBerry Desktop Software
Generally it's best to uninstall any earlier version of Desktop Manager and to do a clean install of the latest version.
Closed Thread