BlackBerry Forums Support Community
              

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #1
Scur
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Model: 5500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Default Help a newb understand the blackberry...

Please Login to Remove!

Did a few searches on the forums here, couldn't come up with much for an overview of the Blackberry, so I'll start a thread. Maybe some of you can throw me some links.

This is actually my nieces phone. I have an Android, and know absolutely nothing about the Blackberry.

She has a Blackberry 9550, v5.0.0.1015, Bundle 1656, Platform 4.2.0.442, through Verizon.

Is this a storm or storm 2?
What's the difference?
Is it normal to take well over 5 minutes to reboot?
She's done almost nothing in the way of keeping her phone "in tune" for the past year since she's had it. Are there generally preferred apps or anything that can get this thing into shape?
When she's lacking a phone signal, her phone locks up. Is this a common, fixable issue?

ANY info or links you guys can give me will be much appreciated.

Last edited by Scur; 06-11-2011 at 05:50 PM..
Offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #2
Scur
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Model: 5500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Default Re: Help a newb understand the blackberry...

Wow. Over a hundred views, and not one person even offers so much as a link to a beginners guide to the blackberry, or a single piece of advice. I guess I'm just used to my friendly droid forums. I'll just find an advanced user somewhere around, I'm sure I must know at least one.
Offline  
Old 06-11-2011, 10:29 PM   #3
Motorcycle Mama
BlackBerry Master
 
Motorcycle Mama's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Model: 9930
OS: 7.1.0.163
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Verizon
Posts: 4,351
Default Re: Help a newb understand the blackberry...

You need to have patience. This is a friendly forum but no one is sitting around waiting to provide instant answers.

The 9550 is the Storm 2 (which a simple Google search would turn up).

Yes its normal for the device to take that long to boot up.

Listing what specific problem she is having with the device probably will result in more specific assistance. What's the File Free on the device? Go to Options > Status and read the third line
Offline  
Old 06-12-2011, 12:09 AM   #4
joginder
BlackBerry Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: AZ
Model: Passp
Carrier: ATT
Posts: 1,123
Default Re: Help a newb understand the blackberry...

Also to keep apps and software in its latest stage please install Blackberry App World from blackberry.com ad it will alert you if there is an updated version of the apps installed on your BB.
Also installed the latest version of BB Desktop Mgr on your dektop/laptop and connect the BB to it and it will prompt you to down load the latest version of device software.

VERY IMPORTANT: Take backup of the device data before you do anything with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scur View Post
Did a few searches on the forums here, couldn't come up with much for an overview of the Blackberry, so I'll start a thread. Maybe some of you can throw me some links.

This is actually my nieces phone. I have an Android, and know absolutely nothing about the Blackberry.

She has a Blackberry 9550, v5.0.0.1015, Bundle 1656, Platform 4.2.0.442, through Verizon.

Is this a storm or storm 2?
What's the difference?
Is it normal to take well over 5 minutes to reboot?
She's done almost nothing in the way of keeping her phone "in tune" for the past year since she's had it. Are there generally preferred apps or anything that can get this thing into shape?
When she's lacking a phone signal, her phone locks up. Is this a common, fixable issue?

ANY info or links you guys can give me will be much appreciated.
__________________
_____________________________
Never be silent about the things that matter, but what about Democracy? That matters too
Offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:22 AM   #5
Scur
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Model: 5500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Default Re: Help a newb understand the blackberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joginder View Post
Also to keep apps and software in its latest stage please install Blackberry App World from blackberry.com ad it will alert you if there is an updated version of the apps installed on your BB.
Also installed the latest version of BB Desktop Mgr on your dektop/laptop and connect the BB to it and it will prompt you to down load the latest version of device software.

VERY IMPORTANT: Take backup of the device data before you do anything with it.
So make sure she has Blackberry App World, grab BB Desktop Mgr, and make sure everything's updated. Can I backup everything from BB Desktop Mgr?

Last edited by Scur; 06-13-2011 at 05:23 AM..
Offline  
Old 06-13-2011, 05:38 AM   #6
Scur
New Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Model: 5500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: verizon
Posts: 4
Default Re: Help a newb understand the blackberry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
You need to have patience. This is a friendly forum but no one is sitting around waiting to provide instant answers.
I know, sorry. Like I said, I'm used to my own forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
The 9550 is the Storm 2 (which a simple Google search would turn up).
Google search turned up both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Yes its normal for the device to take that long to boot up.
That's crazy lol.
I told her I read one guy on here would have freezing problems, and he did a battery pull each morning to help him through the day. She wasn't happy about trying that (bet she rolls over in bed and starts texting first thing in the morning,) but we'll see if she does and if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorcycle Mama View Post
Listing what specific problem she is having with the device probably will result in more specific assistance. What's the File Free on the device? Go to Options > Status and read the third line
I'll have to get my hands on it again tonight and get more info.

Last edited by Scur; 06-13-2011 at 05:41 AM..
Offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads for: Help a newb understand the blackberry...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Knowledge Sharing - Perform basic troubleshooting steps for Novell GroupWise noname BES Admin Corner 1 01-12-2010 07:33 AM
New Blackberry Server wants to reactivate users after power outage! Urlryn BES Admin Corner 19 12-27-2007 03:55 PM
New to BES admin , need help with messages. bigwig BES Admin Corner 5 10-17-2007 10:59 AM
BES 4.1 SP2 for Microsoft Exchange - Now Available jibi BES Admin Corner 51 01-10-2007 10:30 AM
[2005-04-04] RIM to Preview Next Generation BlackBerry MDS at WES bfrye BlackBerry In the News 3 04-13-2005 08:02 AM

Vtg= IBM Wheelwriter= 1000= By Lexmark= 6781-024= Electric Typewriter
$179.99
Vtg= IBM Wheelwriter= 1000= By Lexmark= 6781-024=  Electric Typewriter  pictureVintage Set of 3 Small Cups of Laboratory in Porcelain Gdv
$24.92
Vintage Set of 3 Small Cups of Laboratory in Porcelain Gdv pictureVINTAGE ORIGINAL HOPPY TRANSIT CALIBRATOR CASE 4⅜"Wx3"Dx5¼H (11Wx7.7Dx13H cm)
$0.99
VINTAGE ORIGINAL HOPPY TRANSIT CALIBRATOR CASE 4⅜CAT Caterpillar Traxcavator 955K Parts Book 61H1-Up Vintage Published 1967
$25.0
CAT Caterpillar Traxcavator 955K Parts Book 61H1-Up Vintage Published 1967 pictureVintage Port-A-Tone Touch-Tone Generator • with Mouthpiece Cup and Leather Case
$32.95
Vintage Port-A-Tone Touch-Tone Generator • with Mouthpiece Cup and Leather Case picture






Copyright 2004-2016 BlackBerryForums.com.
The names RIM and BlackBerry are registered Trademarks of BlackBerry Inc.