kirrinjones
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9000
PIN: 208E7C41
Carrier: LIME, Jamaica
Talking Skype on BlackBerry

Please Login to Remove!

Hello All,

I remember reading a few months back that Skype would be coming to the BlackBerry sometime in May. Seeing that we're more than half way through the month, I was wondering if any of the members who live next door to RIM or Skpe know anything?
Old 05-19-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

It's currently in beta testing. Be a little more patient
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-19-2009, 01:52 PM   #3
kirrinjones

Yeah I know I should be patient especially seeing that I would like it to be done properly and not crash the device, but don't like that the iPhone has it and the BlackBerry community has to be waiting so long.
Old 05-19-2009, 01:57 PM   #4
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?
Carrier: Sprint

If everything goes according to plan, it should be released this month.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 05-19-2009, 02:50 PM   #5
kirrinjones

Sweeeeeeeettttt!
Old 05-19-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

I really don't see the need for it.

Skype Coming to BlackBerry Smartphones in May

LAS VEGAS, March 31, 2009 - Skype today announced that the lite version of Skypexxx8482;, a 'thin' Skype client for mobile phones, will soon be available as a free download for BlackBerry® smartphones. A beta version will be available in May for the BlackBerry® Boldxxx8482; and BlackBerry® Curvexxx8482; smartphones, with support for other BlackBerry smartphones coming later.

The lite version of Skype delivers core Skype capabilities to BlackBerry smartphones, including:

* Make Skype-to-Skype calls to other Skype users anywhere in the world
* Send/receive instant messages to/from individuals or groups
* Make Skype calls at low rates to people on landline or mobile phones
* Receive calls to your online number on Skype
* See when your Skype contacts are online/available to chat

BlackBerry smartphone users who download Skype can save money on calls to landlines and mobiles abroad, and stay connected with friends and family over Skype. The application works wherever your mobile phone works, without needing a Wi-Fi connection. It uses local air time and a mobile Internet connection to sign in to Skype, update your contact list and presence and to send/receive calls or messages. As a result, you must have both a calling plan and a data plan to use the lite version of Skype.

"With Skype on BlackBerry smartphones, we are making Skype available in the briefcases and purses of BlackBerry users around the world," said Scott Durchslag, COO of Skype. "We have heard loud and clear that our users want Skype on whichever smartphone they choose to use. This fulfills our promise of making Skype available on the major smartphones so consumers and mobile professionals can connect to Skype whenever, wherever and however they choose."

The lite version of Skype will be available to BlackBerry users worldwide. The ability to make calls will be available in 10 countries: Australia, Brazil (Rio de Janeiro & Sao Paulo), Denmark, Estonia, Finland, New Zealand, Poland, Sweden, the United States and the UK. English will be supported first, with additional languages to follow. Those who download the beta version will be able to provide feedback on the application via an online survey.

The lite version of Skype on BlackBerry smartphones is just the latest offering from Skype that allows users to take their Skype conversations with them. Skype recently announced the availability of the Skype for iPhone application, the lite version of Skype for Android-powered devices and more than 100 other Java-enabled mobile phones, as well as a strategic partnership with Nokia. Skype has also released Skype for Windows Mobile, an application that has been downloaded more than 12 million times worldwide. The beta of the lite version of Skype will be available as a free download to BlackBerry smartphone users beginning in May from Skype: download Skype Lite for mobile using their BlackBerry® Browser.

*Costs for using the lite version of Skype:
You will be charged by your mobile operator for local air time and data usage based on the type of calling service and data plan you have purchased. Since the lite version of Skype uses a mobile data connection to sign in to Skype, update your contact list, update presence and send/receive messages, you will be charged by your mobile operator for data usage. You will not incur charges from Skype when you make Skype-to-Skype calls or send instant messages to friends on Skype; however national calling rates apply from your mobile operator due to the use of local air time. Skype will charge its regular very low Skype rates when you call landlines and mobiles using Skype or when you receive calls on your mobile handset from other Skype users or people calling your personal online number. We highly recommend getting an unlimited data plan for use with the lite version of Skype. The longer you remain signed in, the more Skype contacts you have, or the more you send and receive instant messages, the more data you will use.

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!
Old 05-19-2009, 04:20 PM   #7
kirrinjones

I'm just interested to have it on my phone as I have my skype account on my business cards and other material but most of the time I'm not at my computer so I'm not signed in to skype. So having it on the BlackBerry will allow me that presence as well.

Just convenience really.
Old 05-22-2009, 02:30 PM   #8
bluejacket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange UK

I do not understand the billing. If I call from the UK to Canada on Skype, how much will it cost?
Old 05-22-2009, 02:56 PM   #9
kirrinjones

If its Skype-to-Skype then it should be free. Otherwise you may have to go on their site and find out what the rates are from Skype-to-Phone.
Old 05-24-2009, 12:40 PM   #10
amico_pl
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9800
Carrier: Plus GSM
Default Has anyone seen any beta?

How buggy is the first version is going to be?
Old 05-24-2009, 03:52 PM   #11
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

We will never know until we get it and start to use it.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Gary241

Model: Bold
Carrier: Rogers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluejacket View Post
I do not understand the billing. If I call from the UK to Canada on Skype, how much will it cost?
Unless I'm wrong, it will probably be pretty expensive. Or it would be for me, anyway. I'd be paying for quite a bit of data over the course of a phone call. I have a Rogers plan and when I'm in Europe I go through about $25/day on e-mail. And I don't get an outrageous amount of e-mail. I shudder to think what a Skype call will cost. Probably not much less than a standard phone call.

Even in Canada, it doesn't take much to exceed the cap on their data plans, after which it's $0.03.MB!

So, I suppose it will depend on your data plan.

Presumably a WiFi connection could help, but I think Rogers has a way of charging for that, too. It doesn't work without cell-network connection, does it?

It will be interesting to see. I'm looking forward to someone posting their results.

All this is rather moot for us Canadians, as we won't be able to make calls anywhere with is will we? Something to do with 911 service not having access to a location?

-Gary

Last edited by Gary241; 05-24-2009 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Other providers may have more reasonable data plans.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:58 AM   #13
sshambar

Model: 8700
Carrier: AT&T
Default Mixed Blessing

From my understanding, skype will use your data plan for online presence/messenging,
and your voice plan for calls.

Since I'm an AT&T user in New Zealand (with an unlimited intl data plan), I'm guessing I
can text chat with my friends all I like, but making calls would be charged at the 'calling
a local number' rate ($2.50/min on my voice plan). Making calls to an intl # from your
home country would of couse be charged as a local call.

So, great if your home calling foreign friends, not useful for calls when your traveling (but
you can always text chat).

Just don't screw up and call when abroad...

S
Old 05-25-2009, 05:52 AM   #14
Ketchums
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: Bold
Carrier: AT&T

o_O

I've got a Skype plan, the unlimited minutes in the U.S. joint. So would this mean that I could make calls from my Blackberry under my Skype number and account, and not use as many of my mobile carrier minutes?

Whoa.
Old 05-25-2009, 06:59 AM   #15
Taomyn
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9800
Carrier: LuxGSM
It's exactly the same as the version as they are producing for the Symbian platform i.e. not a VoIP client.

You can text chat as would with the PC client which uses what ever data path you have active, but "real" calls are made for incoming/outgoing calls i.e. for incoming Skype will call your mobile charging your Skype credit, and for outgoing, a call will be made from your phone to a local number then routed to the destination through Skype - the charge for this will be a split between your carrier and Skype.

However, the call service is only available in regions as stated in a previous message i.e. not many places.
Old 05-25-2009, 12:12 PM   #16
Wattie
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Orange (UK)

Seems a bit pointless to have Skype without VOIP facilities. Surely the main benefit would be using wireless points when abroad which this system will not allow.
Old 05-25-2009, 03:07 PM   #17
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

I thought the whole point of Skype was Skype-to-Skype VoIP calls. If that's not still in tact when a BlackBerry client is released, then what's the point?
Old 05-25-2009, 03:18 PM   #18
scuzzilla
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9700
Carrier: Orange France

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirrinjones View Post
Yeah I know I should be patient especially seeing that I would like it to be done properly and not crash the device, but don't like that the iPhone has it and the BlackBerry community has to be waiting so long.
it's installed on my iphone and it's crashing my friends skype (on his machine at home) every time....:D i know, this must be a coincidence but...well :D
Old 05-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #19
bluejacket
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: Orange UK

That's all a bit lame seeing as I can use my iPod Touch as a wifi Skype VOIP phone... Why can't I just use straight wifi skype on the blackberry?
Old 05-26-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
kirrinjones

Wirelessly posted

That's what I was hoping for bluejacket, so I'm hoping that they allow that and not try to screw us over.

It would be cool to be able to do a voip skype-to-skype on the go, I don't expect that you would want to use it as your primary calling medium, just occassionally. Well that's me anyway.
Closed Thread