BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Old 05-12-2008, 05:25 PM   #221
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Please Login to Remove!

Hey John, I apologize if this has been asked before. I searched this thread and didn't come up with anything. As I mentioned above a few weeks ago, this process helped me out tremendously with my used BB. I know in the first post in this thread you say that you cannot use BT keyboards after completing this process and that doesn't bother me at all. My question is, can I use a BT GPS Puck after implementing the Blank IT Policy? I'm interested in getting the Freedom keychain unit. I appreciate your time, thanks!

-Jeff-
Offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 05:38 PM   #222
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Wirelessly posted (BB 11020)

Yes, you'll be able to use a BT puck. Good luck!
Old 05-12-2008, 05:39 PM   #223
BeefyBeefo
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

Now that's what I wanted to hear Thanks a lot, John.

-Jeff-
Old 05-18-2008, 09:06 AM   #224
Chitown021
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: T-Mobile

Thanks for creating this thread John. I just became a BB user thanks to my dad (he game me his old 8700g when he upgraded) and I'm learning as I go. The device he gave me had a policy locking the password to enabled and the lockout to happen every 2 minutes. I haven't used your procedure yet but I have it bookmarked in case dad has any issues getting the IT dept to send a blank policy.

EDIT: John, I used this process and it worked like a charm! I checked and can now disable the password, change the lockout timer from that annoying 2 min, and despite your warning in the OP it DID unlock the bluetooth keyboard option (it lets me change it to ALLOW). The only setting I noticed that was still locked is FIREWALL. The Blackberry will not let me change it from ENABLE.

THANK YOU!!!!

Last edited by Chitown021; 05-18-2008 at 04:32 PM..
Old 05-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #225
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Model: 9530
PIN: G Pong Champ
Carrier: T-Mobile U.S.

John,

Sorry if I missed a post. I have a new 8120 running 4.3.115. I installed BBAlerts and it did not work for my SMS messages. I noticed my FireWall was enabled with a Red lock next to it.

I followed the steps in the first post:
Note: (Added 05/03/2008) If your device has OS 4.3 or higher you can use JL_Cmder's "resettofactory" command to remove ALL IT policy, Firewall restrictions and Application Permission settings. Simply backup the device using Desktop Manager, close Desktop Manager, then run JL_Cmder and execute the "resettofactory" command. The device will wipe, then reboot leaving the OS, 3rd party apps but no data AND, best of all, NO IT policy whatsoever. When you're done, simply restore your backup and you're good to go with no policy or locked firewall.

This removed the lock. Everything now worked fine.

I restored my backup and the FireWall was enabled again with a lock and the original problem again. I am on BIS, phone is new, never been connected to a BES and shows no policies. Any ideas?

I am probably going to just follow the steps and sync and not reload the backup.

Thanks,

Troy

Last edited by TroyDBrown; 05-25-2008 at 08:41 PM..
Old 05-25-2008, 09:12 PM   #226
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Have you EVER used the other Remove IT Policy method? Is it possible the old policy.bin file is still on your computer from that procedure?
Old 05-25-2008, 09:21 PM   #227
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Have you EVER used the other Remove IT Policy method? Is it possible the old policy.bin file is still on your computer from that procedure?
Yes I have. My computer gets many firends BlackBerry's attached to it for various reasons. I did remove an IT Policy off my friends 7230 two days ago using your blank policy and registry edit.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #228
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Go back and remove that policy. It's being applied to each BB you connect to the Desktop Manager. You ONLY want it applied to a BB that you are removing a more restrictive policy from. That's the last part of the instructions.
Old 05-25-2008, 09:50 PM   #229
TroyDBrown
No longer Registered.

Quote:
Go back and remove that policy. It's being applied to each BB you connect to the Desktop Manager. You ONLY want it applied to a BB that you are removing a more restrictive policy from. That's the last part of the instructions.
Thank you so much and please forgive me. I will forgive you for throwing me off by putting the final instruction in BOLD RED.
Old 05-25-2008, 10:49 PM   #230
Chitown021

John, when I applied the procedure outlined in the OP should it have left the firewall option locked? Before I applied the fix the password was locked on ENABLE, the security timeout was locked on "2 MIN", and the firewall was locked on ENABLE. After I followed the steps firewall was the only option that remained locked.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:32 PM   #231
jeffbutts

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t
Default thanks

dont know if this will help but i was thinking it said .......rename path.now.......not rename path(.period)now.....
Old 05-26-2008, 11:02 PM   #232
jeffbutts

Model: 8700c
Carrier: at&t

i have done the steps over and over again to no result but i am getting this at the end of the last step can someone tell me what it is and how to fix it?my e mail is [email address] thanx
Warnings were encountered during the loading process:

The following modules could not be loaded because their digital signatures were invalid.

KnJCDE.cod
Old 05-27-2008, 04:28 AM   #233
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Jeff, That is a module for Push To Talk. I'm not sure why it's telling you the signature is invalid, though. If you don't need it you can remove it using my method in my "Optimize your BB" thread. You can find a link to it in my signature.
Old 05-27-2008, 04:29 AM   #234
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitown021 View Post
John, when I applied the procedure outlined in the OP should it have left the firewall option locked? Before I applied the fix the password was locked on ENABLE, the security timeout was locked on "2 MIN", and the firewall was locked on ENABLE. After I followed the steps firewall was the only option that remained locked.
Unless you are using the "resettofactory" method (only available on 4.3 and higher OS devices) you will NOT be able to unlock the firewall. Sorry....This is the best there is.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:30 PM   #235
Chitown021

Quote:
Unless you are using the "resettofactory" method (only available on 4.3 and higher OS devices) you will NOT be able to unlock the firewall. Sorry....This is the best there is.
Thanks John. That's what I was afraid you'd say. Maybe once my carrier updates to OS 4.3 I can use the other method and disable it then.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:24 PM   #236
chm0690

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Does this lead to the browser not being available. I have tried everything here and at what crackberry says to try and I do not have my media net or browser available to me. Any suggestions or am I just not following through on the steps here
Old 05-29-2008, 07:31 PM   #237
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Go to Options >Advanced Options >Host Routing Table >Menu key (left of trackball) and select "Register Now." If you have a BB data plan that should bring back your browsers, etc.
Old 05-29-2008, 07:45 PM   #238
chm0690

Model: 8310
Carrier: ATT

Appreciate the help. Finally found my problem plus with your input got my bb back to working condition. Might be a newbie mistake on my part, but JL_Cmder must be 1.9.0 for everything to work. I was using an older version of it. Once again thanks
Old 06-01-2008, 03:48 PM   #239
rseem

Model: 8100

Thanks so much for this thread and all the research and work that went into it. I found myself with an old IT policy on my 8100 after recently leaving my company. Following this approach with John's policy.bin freed up my 8100 nicely. I really liked that the policy.bin code is published so I could see the settings applied through it.

There is one area that is still not working however. I cannot enable Bluetooth access to the desktop manager. I have confirmed I have all the prerequiste software level etc and the problem seems to amount to the "Desktop Connectivity" and "Wireless Bypass" services not being enabled in the 8100's Bluetooth Options. This is fairly well discussed in threads on this and other forums as a common result of a IT Policy hangover.

In looking at the instructions on blackberry.com on how to enable bluetooth into desktop manager it talks about the IT Policy restrictions stating:
"If you have an account on a BlackBerry Enterprise Server, it must be running BlackBerry Enterprise Server software version 4.0.3 or later, and the following IT policies must be set to FALSE:
  • Disable Desktop Connectivity
  • Disable Wireless Bypass
Note: The two policies are located in the Bluetooth Policy Group. The default setting for these policies is TRUE."
Since my 8100 was subject to an old IT policy I am assuming the default settings of True are in effect to disable desktop connectivity and wireless bypass.

The article alludes to a "Bluetooth Policy Group" that can be set in the IT Policy. My ultimate question (thanks for the patience so far) is whether the current blank policy.bin code could be extended to have a "Bluetooth Policy Group" with settings of False for "Disable Desktop Connectivity" and "Disable Wireless Bypass".

Thanks again. It's great to have an apportunity to discuss this and I apologize if this is a redundant post.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:56 PM   #240
John Clark
BBF Moderator

I understand the request. However, the code for the bluetooth is not in the policy creator I've used. It's simply the policy writer from BES express. If I knew what the code was it's possible that it could be inserted and compiled into the policy.bin. There is a thread going in the BBUnite forum about writing policies for BBUnite! and it's possible that one of those policies might do the trick. However, I've not looked at this in quite some time.

Once OS 4.5 comes out (it's out there in beta) you can use the resettofactory command in JL_Cmder to remove ALL policy and restrictions from the BB device. However, you have to have OS 4.3 or 4.5 loaded on the device.