Closed Thread

Old 06-09-2005, 06:00 AM   #21
Dawg
No longer Registered.

Model: 8330
PIN: 31a6c9c9
Carrier: Verizon BIS

Please Login to Remove!

Find one post on this whole board where I called anyone a "Noob" I am a newb too and everything I have learned about BBs has came from this board. I have not ever one been asked to search because I did i used many many many different terms to search by then when I couldnt find anything I still didnt start a new thread on it. I used an old one. I do my dangdest not to ever start a new thread unless its a last resort. A so called noob just find the board and never reads anything hes been registered for 3 minutes and he post a new thread in six different catagorys. tahts a noob to me.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:03 AM   #22
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7
Carrier: Verizon

See, the major problem was I broke one of my own rules. Not really a rule, but more of a guideline (see "Ghostbusters"). I promised that I would not respond to the multiple daily threads about ringtones, Bluetooth data transfer, using your BB as a modem and THEMES. And this was about a theme. My bad for getting involved.

And I will no longer suggest that people attempt to search. Resistance is futile.

And I don't think my comment about how the conversation with RIM would go was that off the mark. Reread it. It's pretty funny.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #23
netPOSER
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: ATT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg
I have not ever one been asked to search because I did i used many many many different terms to search by then when I couldnt find anything I still didnt start a new thread on it. I used an old one. I do my dangdest not to ever start a new thread unless its a last resort.

Well god forbid you'd have to make a new post on a forum.

So what if someone is in a hurry or they don't find what they are looking for, and they make a new post. If you don't want to help then don't. If you do post a link to the info and let him/her know where it is if it's in a very long multi-page thread.

Every forum on the web is a bit different so it takes a while to get used to how things work on each. I run my own board but I'd never get on a user that has less than 10 posts asking a question that's been asked before. That's not to say non-moderators won't give them a hard time.

If this board doesn't want folks making new threads then get rid of this:
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 AM   #24
netPOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
See, the major problem was I broke one of my own rules. Not really a rule, but more of a guideline (see "Ghostbusters"). I promised that I would not respond to the multiple daily threads about ringtones, Bluetooth data transfer, using your BB as a modem and THEMES. And this was about a theme. My bad for getting involved.

And I will no longer suggest that people attempt to search. Resistance is futile.

And I don't think my comment about how the conversation with RIM would go was that off the mark. Reread it. It's pretty funny.
I've seen plenty of your posts and you are very helpful but after 5 minutes perusing this board I noticed a lot of hostility about folks not using the search function.

You have to admit the search feature is horrible. If you have a thread with over 50 posts the search function is useless. vb and phpbb2 are to blame not the owners of this board.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:04 AM   #25
sschweg
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
Carrier: vzw

I don't really have a dog in this fight and I am certainly not offended by a little sarcasm. Without a doubt, there are people that are lazy about searching for answers before posting.

But I get a chuckle when I do a search on a topic and find a lot of the answers to be "Use the search button". <BSEG>

Steve
Old 06-09-2005, 07:49 AM   #26
blkberryboy
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Repl.
Carrier: Cingular/ATT

EVERYONE IN HERE.....I love you

I did a search on how to do a search after being asked to do a search and find the anewser on searching, but I didn't find anything. So how do I proceed?:-D
Old 06-09-2005, 07:54 AM   #27
netPOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by blkberryboy
EVERYONE IN HERE.....I love you

I did a search on how to do a search after being asked to do a search and find the anewser on searching, but I didn't find anything. So how do I proceed?:-D
use the "n00b search"
Old 06-09-2005, 08:40 AM   #28
udontknowjack

Model: 9000
Carrier: T-Mobile

NJ, I love you man!! I just think people need to lighten up a bit. Sarcasm and some humor just doesn't come accross in typing as well as in person and I suspect some of you only flame on boards because it is easy to do when you don't see or know the person. Keep that in mind when getting ticked at someone's answer. You don't always know the intent or tone in which the message was sent. I know NJ and trust me, all he wants to do is help. Heck, look at where he is from NJ, People from the north east always have a little edge to them. He really is a nice guy!!
Old 06-09-2005, 08:50 AM   #29
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

<sob>

I searched for anything nice about me and didn't find anything.

Hey udontknowjack - my wife came back from the mall last night with a brand new 7100t. I am doomed.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:02 AM   #30
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

netPOSER, for ease of searching, go to the actual search form (click here) and mark the option to "Show results as: Posts" instead of the defaulted Threads. From a technological point of view, the search function that is included with vBulletin is as thorough as one can be. It cannot display relevence, but I think such results are overrated anyhow (as they are quite easy to manipulate, either with money or smart meta tags), not to mention unnecessary on such a small database. I've explained how the search function works in relation to what is stored in the database to someone who also slammed the search function with vBulletin, already (you can search for that answer, as well). Trust me, I know more about vBulletin than just about anyone else on this forum (although bfrye is certainly learning his fair share).

As for the answer to the person who posted this, and to reiterate what NJBB stated, why would someone fix a theme for one phone when it was designed for another. His comments weren't sarcastic unless you lack obvious common sense. I believe when you start trying to 'hack' products, they usually become unsupported. Themes, currently, are unsupported by RIM unless they are the default themes that come with the handheld. In the case of the Vodafone theme and its early calculator issues before OS 4.0 was released for the 7100v, it was a supported fix from Vodafone (but not supported for the other model 7100 handhelds) because it was the same damn general model of handheld.

Hope that helps. Have a nice day.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:13 AM   #31
remoteshoppe
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 7100t

I'll admit... I've seen "use the search" posted as an answer on these boards more than on any other I visit. In every other forum I read hot topics are stickied, FAQs are created, a link to the other thread is posted, and - in the most condescending response - a poster replies "I searched 7100+theme+calculator and this was the first thread (link)"... use the search. BBForums does all of the above but there are still a lot of posters that have the personality of a Cingular customer service rep.

That being said, I think NJB posted an informative reply and I appreciated the joke... the problem is that you didn't really answer the question. I followed the link you provided and there is no mention of the rogers theme along with the others in the first post. I then used the "search this thread" option at that link for "rogers" and no results were found.

As for the calculator issue... I have seen many people here talk about building their own apps and themes. If BBforums is the home to geeks of that level isn't it safe to assume that one of them is just as frustrated with the small icon calculator and has decided to take the issue into their own hands.

So, to answer DigitalEagles Qs as best as I can:
I love the small icon theme myself but switched back to the default list since the calc is still not fixed. I have not read of anyone here or elsewhere working on this issue so I'm afraid we're SOL.

As for the Rogers theme... it is the default list with a different background as you described. No additional features that i've heard of so no reason to download it specifically unless maybe your name is Roger and you thought that'd be cool.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:20 AM   #32
netPOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by remoteshoppe
I'll admit... I've seen "use the search" posted as an answer on these boards more than on any other I visit. In every other forum I read hot topics are stickied, FAQs are created, a link to the other thread is posted, and - in the most condescending response - a poster replies "I searched 7100+theme+calculator and this was the first thread (link)"... use the search. BBForums does all of the above but there are still a lot of posters that have the personality of a Cingular customer service rep.

That being said, I think NJB posted an informative reply and I appreciated the joke... the problem is that you didn't really answer the question. I followed the link you provided and there is no mention of the rogers theme along with the others in the first post. I then used the "search this thread" option at that link for "rogers" and no results were found.

As for the calculator issue... I have seen many people here talk about building their own apps and themes. If BBforums is the home to geeks of that level isn't it safe to assume that one of them is just as frustrated with the small icon calculator and has decided to take the issue into their own hands.

So, to answer DigitalEagles Qs as best as I can:
I love the small icon theme myself but switched back to the default list since the calc is still not fixed. I have not read of anyone here or elsewhere working on this issue so I'm afraid we're SOL.

As for the Rogers theme... it is the default list with a different background as you described. No additional features that i've heard of so no reason to download it specifically unless maybe your name is Roger and you thought that'd be cool.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:21 AM   #33
netPOSER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jibi
netPOSER, for ease of searching, go to the actual search form (click here) and mark the option to "Show results as: Posts" instead of the defaulted Threads. From a technological point of view, the search function that is included with vBulletin is as thorough as one can be. It cannot display relevence, but I think such results are overrated anyhow (as they are quite easy to manipulate, either with money or smart meta tags), not to mention unnecessary on such a small database. I've explained how the search function works in relation to what is stored in the database to someone who also slammed the search function with vBulletin, already (you can search for that answer, as well). Trust me, I know more about vBulletin than just about anyone else on this forum (although bfrye is certainly learning his fair share).

As for the answer to the person who posted this, and to reiterate what NJBB stated, why would someone fix a theme for one phone when it was designed for another. His comments weren't sarcastic unless you lack obvious common sense. I believe when you start trying to 'hack' products, they usually become unsupported. Themes, currently, are unsupported by RIM unless they are the default themes that come with the handheld. In the case of the Vodafone theme and its early calculator issues before OS 4.0 was released for the 7100v, it was a supported fix from Vodafone (but not supported for the other model 7100 handhelds) because it was the same damn general model of handheld.

Hope that helps. Have a nice day.
I think the original poster was just asking if there is a fix--that's it. It's maddening to follow hundreds of posts only to end up with an unanswered question.

But I understand what you are saying and you do a great job on this board.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #34
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

There is no fix currently available for the broken calculator problem.,

And my apologies - I looked in the Themes Guide FAQ and saw a red theme. I assumed (ASS U ME) that it was the Rogers theme. It was the Vodafone theme.

I remember seeing the Rogers themes somewhere.

Personally I liked the small icons theme and learned to live without the calculator. The correct solution is for RIM and the carriers to make a properly working small icons theme as a published option. I could not stand the default T-Mobile theme.

Oops - got into a Theme discussion again.

Last edited by NJBlackBerry; 06-09-2005 at 09:53 AM..
Old 06-09-2005, 02:54 PM   #35
jibi
BlackBerry God

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

and this is the link you were looking for concerning the Rogers theme issue, i believe.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/showthread.php?t=4081
Old 06-09-2005, 03:07 PM   #36
TRILIGHT
Thumbs Must Hurt

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry
I can be positively arrid.
Now THAT is funny. hehe :D
Old 07-18-2005, 09:56 AM   #37
CynicalKnight
No longer Registered.

Model: 7100

If anyone's handy with the theme compiler, they could extract the two calculator images (keys pressed and unpressed) from the default 7100 theme and build them into a copy of the small icons theme - then the calculator will work.
Closed Thread