Model: 9000
PIN: N/A
Carrier: airtel
Default BB bold doesnt recognizes the hotspot laptop

Please Login to Remove!

Hi all,

I have a laptop powered with win XP, with a wired internet connection,
I need to share the internet using wifi.. and use through BB

well i have configured my laptop to a hotspot... n have shared the internet..
when I scan the wifi places in BB, the hotspot is not shown on the list nd hence cant connect ....

please suggest and help..

THanks
Old 01-20-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
hrbuckley
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Is your lap top providing Wi-Fi Infrastructure access or Ad-Hoc access. A Blackberry won't connect to an Ad-Hoc provider.
Old 01-20-2010, 04:05 PM   #3
dankarlinski
BlackBerry Master

Model: 1
Carrier: 1

Wirelessly posted (White and Nerdy)

Indeed a good question. Uour story shows that something is set up wrong in your pc
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 AM   #4
micheal21a

Model: 9000
Carrier: airtel

how can I check if the laptop provides the wifi infrastructure access or adhoc one.. .

is there no posibility to connect the bb to my laptop.. to access the internet...
Old 01-21-2010, 04:18 PM   #5
monkeypaw

Model: None
Carrier: ATT

One way to tell is to scan for wifi networks from another laptop. It'll show with a different icon in the wifi utility.

What instructions are you following, if any? I've seen instructions before and tried it and never ever been able to get anything working. I have a travel router so I don't need to be able to, but it would be cool if it worked.
Old 01-23-2010, 07:46 AM   #6
pokeh

Model: 9550
Carrier: Optus

I also faced the same problem with my 9550, i can't scan my laptop ad-hoc signal, i tried many times even after reset and re-create the new network.

When i tried with nokia e72 belong to my wife, it working very well, it's can detect the signal very strong. I can access any websites via e72 phone which connected to wifi of the laptop whether at kitchen or bathroom, .

From my investigations, i found that the nokia e72 can be used in both ways, 1) through internet plan (directly via the phone which has internet data service) and 2) without internet data plan (connect via wifi of the laptop adhoc signal). Its can do in flip-flop at once time. You can close internet plan and use wifi of the laptop, or vice-versa. I did many times using e72.

For BB, its seems many of them (or maybe all of them) cannot do like what e72 can do, like hrbuckley said, BB cannot connect to wifi from adhoc signal of other device like laptop, it only can be connect to the infrastructure network, SO SAD. We only can access internet after having the data plan from the wireless provider.

So, my conclusion is BB only has one way to access the internet, through internet data plan from the wireless provider, not from the adhoc network.

Correct me if wrong.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:32 PM   #7
hrbuckley

Model: LEZ10
Carrier: Rogers CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeh View Post
Correct me if wrong.
You can connect to a Wi-Fi router providing infrastructure service. Most all SOHO wi-Fi routers provide this mode of access.

Ad Hoc mode had a period where it got a bad reputation, mainly from Windows equipped laptops connecting to each other, with wild abandon. In the buisness context Ad Hoc is (by my experience, YMMV) not very important so IMO Rim decided the security risk of supporting Ad Hoc mode and increasing the exposure of their buisnes customers wasn't worth it. Other, less security concious vendors may decide diferently. When you buy a Blackberry you have to accept where there is a choic of security over convenience, Rim will almost always choose security.