Old 12-31-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
carameleyessss

Model: 8300
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Blackberry Curve 8300 restarts 2-3 times a day

Please Login to Remove!

Hi guys--

I was going to take my BB up to Sprint today but there was no parking available. I just recently got mine about a month ago and the phone restarts on me 2-3 times a day! I've asked some of my friends that own BB's and none of them have this issue. Is this some kind of update I'm getting that I can turn the setting off? Or do I need to try exchanging for a new one? Any responses will help! Thanks!
Old 12-31-2008, 03:55 PM   #2
SteveO86
BlackBerryForums.com Super Moderator

Model: 9650
PIN: I heard it drop!
Carrier: VZW BIS

It won't be an update..

Do you have a memory card in the phone? Has it always restarted?

Follow me on Twitter
Old 12-31-2008, 04:43 PM   #3
rwb1921

Model: 8310
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by carameleyessss View Post
Hi guys--

I was going to take my BB up to Sprint today but there was no parking available. I just recently got mine about a month ago and the phone restarts on me 2-3 times a day! I've asked some of my friends that own BB's and none of them have this issue. Is this some kind of update I'm getting that I can turn the setting off? Or do I need to try exchanging for a new one? Any responses will help! Thanks!
I had a similar problem with a 8310 - was rebooting during calls though. Only thing that fixed it was getting replacement from AT&T. Must have been a bad phone.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:59 AM   #4
AguilaFan

Carrier: T-Mobile
Default BerryJuice

The AT&T Curve 8300 was a gift. Upgraded it with OFFICIAL AT&T from BB site. Now is resetting after 3-5 minutes talking. Does have a 2GB memory card. Unlocked it and using TMO SIM and service. Not using data plan, just plain calls. Performed a software wipe with JL and complete re-install..3 times. Does have ACT! installed with 1,300 contacts. Last night did a device wipe to take it back to factory status.

Thought it could be using TMO, but I see the rebooting issue on too many other sites. It seems the only course of action is a sawp. Problem is the previous owner now has an iPhone on his account and i do not really see AT&T caring about a former phone and it's problems.

Is this a carrier issue or a BB issue? My first BB and I was beginning to really like it, but at this rate....

Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:25 AM   #5
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

If you upgraded from OS 4.2 to OS 4.5 (regardless if it's the official AT&T release or another carrier's release) with a media card in the device, it's known to cause these issues.

Remove your media card and see if that clears your issues up.

This should explain it better:
http://www.blackberryforums.com/medi...t-reboots.html
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]

Last edited by jsconyers; 04-01-2009 at 09:27 AM..
Old 04-01-2009, 09:40 AM   #6
AguilaFan

[QUOTE=jsconyers;1339244]If you upgraded from OS 4.2 to OS 4.5 (regardless if it's the official AT&T release or another carrier's release) with a media card in the device, it's known to cause these issues.

Thanks JS. The first logical possibility I have read in 1 month.

I noticed that the bottom part of your answer (the url reference) does not show up in the post . Am using FF 3.08 on XP Pro. On this page, writing reply, it does. If interested in this, I did screen captures using OneNote.

Does the mem card stay out during the upgrade and then put back in, or just out period.? Haven't read the url yet...got excited with the possibility of a solution.

Posted, but got the warning that as a newbie under 10 posts, can't post w/ a url or image. Had to remove the url ref in your post.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
AguilaFan

[QUOTE=AguilaFan;1339269]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
If you upgraded from OS 4.2 to OS 4.5 (regardless if it's the official AT&T release or another carrier's release) with a media card in the device, it's known to cause these issues.

Thanks JS. The first logical possibility I have read in 1 month.

I noticed that the bottom part of your answer (the url reference) does not show up in the post . Am using FF 3.08 on XP Pro. On this page, writing reply, it does. If interested in this, I did screen captures using OneNote.

Does the mem card stay out during the upgrade and then put back in, or just out period.? Haven't read the url yet...got excited with the possibility of a solution.

Posted, but got the warning that as a newbie under 10 posts, can't post w/ a url or image. Had to remove the url ref in your post.
I see you fixed the url while I was writing. Good catch.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:45 AM   #8
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

The ten post rule is in place to prevent spammers, it's unfortunate that it impacts actual new users with issues, but needs to be in place. I hope you understand and you will get to 10 posts rather quickly

Reading the URL will best answer that question. I don't think it matters if the card is in or out during the OS upgrade itself. You will need to move the data from the card to your PC, then format the card, then move the data back to the card. Follow the steps in the link above, it's very detailed.

Ohh and welcome to the forums.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
AguilaFan

Removed the 2 GBcard. Left the 4.5 on. Placed a call to a phone w/ speakerphone so I can monitor the call. After 3 minutes, reboot. Since the phone is configured that there "is" a card installed, I will reformat same to see what happens. Could be the 8300 looks for the card, doesn't see it, <b>reboots</b>. At least I feel that I am finally going somewhere with this issue.
Old 04-01-2009, 01:08 PM   #10
AguilaFan

JS, thank you for your comments. After struggling with this issue for HOURS and WEEKS, you provided the guidance to "solve" this. The "replaced unit" so common out there in BB land was just too weird. Is the BB that bad in manufacture that so many units go out into the world defective? I don't think so.

PREMISE: Memory card is causing Reboots. Here is a list of steps taken to pinpoint the "problem". Time consuming, you betcha, but if it helps someone out there, great.

Test 1: Card in. Media support ON. Called. Rebooted. FAILURE

Test 2: Removed card. Media support ON. Called. Rebooted after 3 minutes. FAILURE

Test 3: MEM card in. Media card support OFF. Called. Hung up after 11 minutes. The call did not drop/reboot.

Test 4: MEM card in. Turned on Media Support. REFORMATTED CARD. Pulled battery (just in case).
Called. REBOOTED after 10:40 FAILURE

Test 5: Mem card in. Media Card Support on. TURNED OFF Mass Storage Mode. @ 14:30 REBOOTED. FAILURE
Realize I have to make longer call than just 10 -15 minutes for test to be effective.

Test 6: Mem card in. Media Card Support OFF. @ 20 minutes I hung up. NO REBOOT

Test 7: Settings -->Options-->Media Card, Menu, REMOVE MEDIA CARD, get "Media card cannot be read. Verify that the media card is formatted." When I format card, it reports "Media Card Format Successful". However, the "Media card cannot be read. Verify that the media card is formatted." message remains. Reformat the card 3 mores times because at this point I am going crazy.
Media Card Support ON. TURNED OFF Mass Storage Mode. 24 minutes later, I hang up. NO REBOOT.

NEW VARIABLE deleted the fields in TCP that had wap@cingular (from former owner) in them and in APN. This phone is on TMO now. Not using the data and no WiFi in the 8300.

Test 8: Media Card Support ON. Mass Storage Mode ON. Call placed. Just noticed that there are 2 Blue arrows in Upper Right Corner where signal strenght is. Hadn't noticed this before during calls. Could it be because of the New Variable (above)?

One thing I am noticing. I use MultiTrack StopWatch on my PC when I do things to time activities. Started the stopwatch when I answered call on 8300. After 13:40, the BB has a 10 second positive difference. HUH? I have unlimited voice plan . I don't care. But how about all those folks with Time Usage Plans? Those seconds can add up if the timer is off. Whose count is it? The carrier TMO or the device's? Or is my PC wrong? After 20 minutes, the difference is now 14 seconds. 25 minutes and 17 seconds difference.

SUCCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 26 minutes and no REBOOT.

Now I am left wondering if it was the TCP setting or the card as JS brought to my attention.

If this works for others, the card reformatting part, would suggest this be added to the other url or tacked.

Thanks JS. Will post again in 3-4 days with what happened.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
AguilaFan

Did not work. Connected to PC, reloaded ACT! and 1300 contacts. Hit the street. KABOOM!!! Reboot. Disabled Media card (left card in phone) and it is now 24 minutes working.

My next step is remove media card and turn it On in Media card section.
Closed Thread