BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 03:07 AM   #1
kjaslow
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9800
Carrier: Telstra
Default Where did the "Blackberry Browser" go?

Please Login to Remove!

I just got my 8800 working today. My 8700 had no less than THREE different browsers. I'm a Cingular customer, so I had one called "Cingular Browser", one called "Internet Browser", and a third one called "Blackberry Browser". I suspect that this last one had to do with the fact that I'm also on a BES.

On the 8800, I have on called "MEdia Net", and one simply called "Browser". Based on their behavior, I suspect that I no longer have the Blackberry Browser. That's unfortunate, because it seemed to be the one with all the juju that let me go to sites where the others would fail.

Anyone got any ideas why I lost one of my browsers, and whether or not I've made the right assessment regarding which one is missing?
Old 02-22-2007, 03:13 AM   #2
kjaslow

Well, go figure. I just checked out the properties, and it looks like a bit of consolidation has taken place. In the General Properties for the browser, I have the choice of setting the browser to be the Blackberry Browser, or the Internet Browser. So, one less icon to clutter my hidden icons!
Old 02-22-2007, 06:23 AM   #3
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9000
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjaslow
Well, go figure. I just checked out the properties, and it looks like a bit of consolidation has taken place. In the General Properties for the browser, I have the choice of setting the browser to be the Blackberry Browser, or the Internet Browser. So, one less icon to clutter my hidden icons!
Just got my 8800, and I find this quite perplexing. On my 8700 the Cingular Browser routed through Cingular's network, the BlackBerry Browser routed through my company's network, and the Internet Browser routed directly to the Internet.

I know this because Yahoo! brought up a MediaNet/Yahoo page on the Cingular browser, but not on the Internet or BlackBerry browser.

Sites blocked on my company's network were also blocked on the BlackBerry Browser, but not on the Cingular or Internet browser.

So now how do I choose???

Old 02-22-2007, 11:56 AM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles

On the Pearl when you select "go to" in the browser to type in a new web address if it doesn't work then select "go to" again, you should have the last page you just typed in the history list. Highlight the web address and click the menu key and select "change broswer."

If you have a shortcut saved you can edit the browser used by highlighting the shortcut and clicking the menu key and selecting "edit bookmark" and scroll down and change the browser used.

One would assume it's the same or similar on the 8800. I don't have an 8800 so will leave it to you folks to try.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted (8700c: BlackBerry8800/4.2.1 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark
On the Pearl when you select "go to" in the browser to type in a new web address if it doesn't work then select "go to" again, you should have the last page you just typed in the history list. Highlight the web address and click the menu key and select "change broswer."

If you have a shortcut saved you can edit the browser used by highlighting the shortcut and clicking the menu key and selecting "edit bookmark" and scroll down and change the browser used.

One would assume it's the same or similar on the 8800. I don't have an 8800 so will leave it to you folks to try.
Yep - it's always available! Thanks John.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
kjaslow

Great tip! Wish I'd known that 3 O/S upgrades ago!!!
Old 02-24-2007, 03:13 AM   #7
fredric177

Model: None

Is there an easy way to go straight to BOOKMARKS from the main menu, just like the icon on the 8700c that shows the world with the Building in front?
Old 02-24-2007, 04:21 AM   #8
ohad_129

PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il
Default did anyone know?

hello
did anyone can tell me
if i want to find the bb browser how can i find him?
i have the mini opera but i still didnt find the bb browser
i can surf the net but i do not have data plan is this related?
please help me
Old 02-24-2007, 09:21 AM   #9
JerryD
CrackBerry Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredric177
Is there an easy way to go straight to BOOKMARKS from the main menu, just like the icon on the 8700c that shows the world with the Building in front?
I'm with Cingular, and the Cingular/MediaNet browser is locked on the MediaNet home. On my old 8700 both the BlackBerry and Internet browser could be set to start with Bookmarks under Options.

Old 02-24-2007, 02:13 PM   #10
kjaslow

Go to the Browser, click the menu and choose Options, Browser Configuration. Highlight 'Start Page' and choose 'Bookmarks page'. Be sure to save options before you leave the settings.

Also, note that if the browser is already open as one type of browser, but you're changing the settings for a different type of browser, you'll need to close and re-open the browser for the changes to take effect...
Old 02-24-2007, 02:30 PM   #11
ohad_129

PIN: 237be374
Carrier: orange il

Thank You Which Browser You Mean?
Becouse If I Go Into Option To Browser And Go Into Change Option I Get Nothing?
Thank You
Old 02-24-2007, 03:15 PM   #12
kjaslow

The instructions I listed work for Internet Browser, and for Blackberry Browser. The 'Start page' option is not there for Cingular's MEdia Net browser...you have to change that setting to one of the other browsers.

I should also just make sure to mention that I believe the 'Blackberry Browser' only comes up for BES users.
Closed Thread