BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 12-14-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
blackersessex

Model: 9500
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Vodaphone
Exclamation Exclamation **SOS Insert Sim - Desperate last help plea - Paypal reward for solution

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

I've encountered a problem so infuriating that I am willing to send a monetary reward through Paypal to the user who can provide me with the solution.

I bought a Bold 9000 off of Ebay and had it unlocked. It is definetly fully unlocked as all the security settings are set to disabled when i type in "MEPD" on the Sim Card under Advanced Settings. The phone was originally locked to Orange UK and I wish to use it with my Vodaphone BB Storm contract. However, despite what ever sim i put in the phone it still will not work. I have tried numerous battery pulls as well as "wiping the handheld device" to no avail and I am now stuck as to what to do! I have also went and got a brand new Sim Card from the Vodafone shop!!

Would reinstalling the software help? Please would anyone be able to give me any advice at all as I have nearly reached the end of my tether. It would be greatly appreciated and I promise from the bottom of my heart that I will send a small golden reward to anyone who could give me a winning solution. The phone is in fantastic condition and i would be heartbroken not to be able to use it, I feel like crying as it is!

So folks! Would you help a damsil in distress?!

Jane.
Old 12-14-2010, 02:58 PM   #2
VictoriaA

Model: 9000
PIN: 20D0203C
Carrier: ATT
Default Re: Exclamation **SOS Insert Sim - Desperate last help plea - Paypal reward for solut

I think if it was locked you might get an Invalid SIM Error. I know this sounds silly, but are you seating the SIM card properly? Is there any visible damage?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:01 PM   #3
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low
Carrier: Verizon
Default Re: Exclamation **SOS Insert Sim - Desperate last help plea - Paypal reward for solut

Yes, make sure the SIM is seated properly in the Bold 9000.

Now, please post some details on the 9000, who was it branded to? Just curious, it shouldn't matter, but.

Yes, wiping the OS and reloading could help too. I would recommend that before you do anything else.
Old 12-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #4
blackersessex

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSanders View Post
Yes, make sure the SIM is seated properly in the Bold 9000.

Now, please post some details on the 9000, who was it branded to? Just curious, it shouldn't matter, but.

Yes, wiping the OS and reloading could help too. I would recommend that before you do anything else.
I think it is seated correctly, i would post some pictures but it does not seem to let me as i don't have enough posts. Its definitely unlocked as everything on the MEP screen is saying Disabled. It was branded to Orange UK but i wont to use it on my Vodafone UK contract which originally came with a storm (includes Blackberry data plan).

Could this be the problem seen as the phone was/is exclusive to Vodafone in the UK? I need to buy a USB cable in order to do the wiping of the OS then as i dont have one, do you think theres a good chance thats the problem?
Old 12-14-2010, 03:52 PM   #5
blackersessex

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

A little scratched on top and round sides where i ripped it from the card but the underneath of the Sim is fine having got a new one on Saturday from the shop. Have i seated the Sim right? I tried moving it to the right a minute ago to seat it in a different position and when i turned the phone back on it came up "Initialization Failed" . The carrier should up in the Mobile Settings for the first time i but still showed SOS.

The Sim is working in my Storm fine.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

Last edited by blackersessex; 12-14-2010 at 03:53 PM.. Reason: Links to my sons photos .
Old 12-14-2010, 03:59 PM   #6
NJBlackBerry
Grumpy Moderator

Model: SGS7

Initialization Failed means the BlackBerry cannot read the SIM card. You will need to obtain a new SIM card, call Vodafone and get it provisioned...
Old 12-14-2010, 04:12 PM   #7
Sytner
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9800
PIN: S = Ouch
Carrier: Orange UK

Have you tried any carrier's sims in it other than Vodafone?
9800 / 6.0.0.337
If someone posts something useful, click thanks!
Old 12-14-2010, 04:50 PM   #8
snoo

Carrier: Optus

You bought it off ebay - maybe its stolen and has been banned by the carriers?

I Googled for "checkmend" which is a stolen IMEI database, but I've never used it before. It only cost a couple of dollars/pounds - maybe someone else can comment on this before wasting your money?
Old 12-14-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
JSanders
Crimson Tide Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: t low

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBlackBerry View Post
Initialization Failed means the BlackBerry cannot read the SIM card. You will need to obtain a new SIM card, call Vodafone and get it provisioned...
Ditto. Even if it works fine with other devices, you need a new one here.

And , in addition, you need to get the SIM provisioned with the PIN/IMEI of the new Bold on the BIS account.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:48 PM   #10
mmagda
Thumbs Must Hurt

Carrier: Fido

Have a read here, i went through all the processes one-by-one. From easiest/most common to hardest/lengthiest;
http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...functions.html

Good luck and post back if there was anything useful to you there that helped solve the issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoo View Post
You bought it off ebay - maybe its stolen and has been banned by the carriers?

I Googled for "checkmend" which is a stolen IMEI database, but I've never used it before. It only cost a couple of dollars/pounds - maybe someone else can comment on this before wasting your money?
That program is aimed at 'new' handsets. If it was in fact previously used on an old account, [lets assume stolen in this case], its beyond the carriers hands to 'fry the sim slot' per say. If it was a brand new - never activated device than this is what the program is for... but anyways this is a rather common issue i have personally experience on one of my 20+ bb's in the past.
Closed Thread