BlackBerry Forums Support Community

Closed Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 08:11 AM   #1
BBEnZ

Model: 8800
PIN: N/A
Carrier: vodafone
Default Unable to sync Calendar with Outlook/BDM because "Wireless Calendar Sync is enabled"

Please Login to Remove!

Hi there,

We have a BES 4.1.4 environment with MS Exchange 2003. One of our users recently had his BlackBerry 8100 re-Enterprise activated, and now misses all his past Calendar items. I read that BES only prepoluates the past 30 days of calendar items, except for the recurring appointments. This specific user would like to have all his Calendar history on his device.. God knows why

I found article KB04808 and thought using the BlackBerry Desktop Manager Software was an easy and good way to get this done, by syncing the users' calendar on the BB device directly with Outlook. But, I run into some problems doing this;

The first "problem" I run into when following the article, is the fact that the Tasks in article are referring to options that are not in BlackBerry Desktop Manager 4.3. For example, there is no Intellisync, and no "Configure PIM". Logically the options mentioned are now under Synchronization and Configure Synch, so this is manageable, but perhaps it is time for RIM to update KB04808 for use with the current versions of BDM.. but that's of no importance here.

The actual problem I have, is that when configuring the synchronization, I cannot choose for Outlook to sync with, because "Wireless Calendar Sync is enabled". Task 1 in the article instructs me to turn off Wireless Synchronization of the Calendar on the BlackBerry device before physically connecting it to the desktop computer. Doing this, and then configure sync in the BDM, seems to override this setting and enables wireless calendar sync on the device again. After searching the Internet on how to bypass this, I read a suggestion somewhere of editing the IT Policy on the BES server, by setting the option Disable Wireless Calendar Sync to ENABLE, en then resend the IT Policy to the BB user (device).

Doing this actually takes out the entire option in the Calendar options on the BB device to enable or disable wireless calendar sync, so I thought at that point I was "good to go" to use the BDM and sync the Calendar contents with Outlook. But, strange enough the BDM still tells me that "Wireless Calendar Sync is enabled".

I'm hoping someone out there has a suggestion for me how to get this done successfully.. Perhaps I am missing an important step here, since KB04808 isn't meant for the current versions of BDM. Thank you very much in advance for your reply.

Rgds,

BBEnZ
Old 04-17-2008, 09:06 AM   #2
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Welcome to BBF!

Change the IT Policy back, and then disable wireless calendar sync on the HH and try this again. Calendar > Options ...
Old 04-17-2008, 11:59 AM   #3
BBEnZ

Thanks!

Well, I changed back the IT Policy so I could disable or enable it again (this option is removed from the Options menu on the HH after resending the IT Policy with the wl sync disabled), but once in the BDM software with the HH connected to a desktop computer, the wireless setting in the Options menu of the HH calendar is set to enabled again automatically it seems And as a result I cannot choose for Outlook to sync with. Or at least I think that is the result.

Last edited by BBEnZ; 04-17-2008 at 12:04 PM..
Old 04-17-2008, 07:20 PM   #4
hdawg
BlackBerry Genius

Model: hdawg
PIN: port3101.org
Carrier: hdawg

Odd ... What if you disable the wireless Calendar for this user through the BlackBerry Manager. I don't have wireless calendar enabled for myself ... long story, but it is the case for me. I sync using DM and it works fine.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:08 AM   #5
BBEnZ

OK thanks, I'll give that a try. Is editing the global IT Policy my only option here or is this a 'per user' setting as well somewhere?
Closed Thread