Old 04-07-2010, 05:48 PM   #1
berrydeezz
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 8830
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Sprint
Default Can BBM be monitored?

Please Login to Remove!

My best friend might of just fell for the oldest trick in the book. His gf says she has proof of him cheating (which he was) by installing spyware on his cell phone. He said he only uses bbm and he deletes everything and I told him bbm could not be monitored unless you were on BES.

Please tell me I'm right because I don't want him to blame me for getting caught because I told him to get a blackberry. I feel bad, not that bad but he is not really technical so he believes whatever I say when it computers to tech.

I showed him the commercial of how calls could be monitored so I told him only to use data, no text or calls and he would be safe. If this is untrue then I'm selling my blackberry and never having a cell phone (my gf is friends with his) :(
Old 04-07-2010, 06:42 PM   #2
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

if she put spyware on the phone then yes anything / everything can be seen....

tho she probably broke some laws but w/e sounds like they both have trust issues and commitment so just move on.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Model: 9900
Carrier: Vodafone Business

Wirelessly posted

BBM can be monitored on BES. Nobody can possibly answer what the software she claims to have installed can do.

I'm sure they'll both get over it when spring break is over and they go back to their classes.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:28 PM   #4
John Clark
BBF Moderator

Model: Z30
PIN: s & needles
Carrier: AT&T

Up until BES 5.0 BBM was not able to be monintored without the user knowing as the monitoring would send emails back to the admin and those email would show up in the messages list. I highly doubt her BBM was monitored. BBM convo's aren't even saved in backups so I think the whole thing is bull.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370
Carrier: Verizon

Yeah, she's trying to get him to think he's caught so he'll 'fess up and incriminate himself. I can't help but think a simple password would take care of all snooping. Nobody can install anything or delete anything if your device is password protected.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:32 PM   #6
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Yes, it sounds like bull to me too. But if he wants to be sure there is no spyware, he could wipe the device and reinstall the OS. Then set a password that she can't guess and a short security time out.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Beyond the bull-fodder that the GF is feeding him, they have serious relationship and trust issues. It's time for both of them to move on.

We're seeing more and more posts here at BBF dealing with relationship issues and not necessarily technical or device issues, but that's just my opinion.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:17 AM   #8
Blush_models

Model: 9700
Carrier: wind mobile

I made this post in another section as I am looking for help with a security issue that includes the bbm, live voice conversations, sms, being intercepted, and lastely the remote access to my blackberry. I am not on a BES Server. With that said I can say beyond a shadow of a dobt that it is possible to spy on somebodies BBM's the question I can't answer is how! I have swapped my unit for a new one and slept with my blackberry under my pillow and the problem wont stop! Please see full problem below.

Over the past year my life has been turned inside out due to compromised blackberry devices. The problem is that my device is being remotely accessed messages of a sensitive nature are being deleted, sent to a third party (who has also brought this to my attention), live conversations with numberous parties (who do not have previous knowledge of each other or connections through common circles) have been recorded and sent to a third party. Also the device contacts have been manipulated, errased and I have recieved threatening messages logged as contacts in the contacts section, and also in the owner information screen for when i turn on the phone, lastly the pass word has been reset so I could not gain access to the unit. The problem has happend over a year following me with fido as my carrier while using the blackberry pearl, and then with wind mobile while using the Bold 9700.

After switching phone companies I used a different number and did not port my number or contacts over everything was from scratch, I hadn't even connected the device to the computer. However, I was still violated. I have looked at the forums and to third party software and have gotten zero relief from the afflictions of these attacts. I realize that some may think this is "impossible" or at least highly unlikely but i reassure you I keep my device in a very secure enviornment when it is not in use one of my devices I actually keep in sight of video servalance to ensure there is nobody physically tampering with the device. This is serious.

I have involved RIM (who are now pouring over my event logs), the local law enforcement, and wind mobile. As Fido has dismissed my security breach as IMPOSSIBLE. I am open to doing what ever it takes to rid myself of this issue. Providing somebody can give me proven results I would even be willing to reward the individual.
Old 04-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
Dubdub
Appleinator

Model: App6+
PIN: Ask
Carrier: ATT & Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blush_models View Post
I made this post in another section as I am looking for help with a security issue that includes the bbm, live voice conversations, sms, being intercepted, and lastely the remote access to my blackberry. I am not on a BES Server. With that said I can say beyond a shadow of a dobt that it is possible to spy on somebodies BBM's the question I can't answer is how! I have swapped my unit for a new one and slept with my blackberry under my pillow and the problem wont stop! Please see full problem below.

Over the past year my life has been turned inside out due to compromised blackberry devices. The problem is that my device is being remotely accessed messages of a sensitive nature are being deleted, sent to a third party (who has also brought this to my attention), live conversations with numberous parties (who do not have previous knowledge of each other or connections through common circles) have been recorded and sent to a third party. Also the device contacts have been manipulated, errased and I have recieved threatening messages logged as contacts in the contacts section, and also in the owner information screen for when i turn on the phone, lastly the pass word has been reset so I could not gain access to the unit. The problem has happend over a year following me with fido as my carrier while using the blackberry pearl, and then with wind mobile while using the Bold 9700.

After switching phone companies I used a different number and did not port my number or contacts over everything was from scratch, I hadn't even connected the device to the computer. However, I was still violated. I have looked at the forums and to third party software and have gotten zero relief from the afflictions of these attacts. I realize that some may think this is "impossible" or at least highly unlikely but i reassure you I keep my device in a very secure enviornment when it is not in use one of my devices I actually keep in sight of video servalance to ensure there is nobody physically tampering with the device. This is serious.

I have involved RIM (who are now pouring over my event logs), the local law enforcement, and wind mobile. As Fido has dismissed my security breach as IMPOSSIBLE. I am open to doing what ever it takes to rid myself of this issue. Providing somebody can give me proven results I would even be willing to reward the individual.
Please do not double post. There are several responses to your original thread. Not polite nor is it good manners to double post or hijack another's thread.

http://www.blackberryforums.com/gene...controled.html

-->>Stinsonddog's Tip Site!

-->>Twitter

If someone helps, tell them by clicking the Thanks button.!!

Last edited by Dubdub; 04-14-2010 at 10:52 AM..
Old 04-14-2010, 10:52 AM   #10
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Model: BBPP
Carrier: T-Mobile USA

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blush_models

Assuming you are for real, take this for what it is worth from an ordinary blackberry user with several years of experience using the device and paying attention to news, blogs, and forums: Either (a) someone got hold of your device and put something on it, or (b) you were tricked into installing something yourself (and in your case, not once, but twice). As far as I know, nothing can be installed with out someone in physical control of the device at the time granting permission.
Maybe there's stuff I don't know, but I have not seen reports contradicting what I've said above. If you are sure nobody else has been able to have their hands on your blackberry, then take a long, serious look at your own actions.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:04 AM   #11
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

Wirelessly posted

The level of survailance described requires law enforcement grade gear. And if you're being targetted by law enforcement agencies your blackberry security should be the least of your worries.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:16 AM   #12
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Law enforcement would not be forwarding stuff on to non-official third-parties. I tend to think this is BS; or for real and there's more to the story than is being told.

Last edited by aiharkness; 04-14-2010 at 11:34 AM..
Old 04-14-2010, 11:23 AM   #13
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiharkness View Post
Wirelessly posted

Law enforcement would not be forwarding stuff on to non-official third-parties. I rend to think this is BS; that, or for real and there's more to the story than is being told.
x2!
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-14-2010, 12:11 PM   #14
Notrega

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon

This is not a TAG
Old 04-14-2010, 12:17 PM   #15
Blush_models

Thanks for your advice. As I realize being new to a board is no excuse of not observing the rules, I appologize for reposting I wasn't aware the it was poor etiquete, as I did not see the rule posted anywhere while I was posting. As for reposting or hijacking this post I saw that the users post was not being taken seriously as many people including experienced users, and some representatives at RIM have not heard about such problems and as such feel confident in their security. The gentlman that created the post should be taken seriously, and not dismissed as BS.

At any token I am not asking if it can be hacked or monitored I am telling you that it is possible, and this has been supported by a representative from a RIM representative (who has been very insightful), not to mention my own personal observations.

However, as the problem has not been solved I am looking for ways at putting an end to the issue once and for all. As respect seems to be of paramount importance on this board I will request anybody wishing to say this is or sounds like BS to please not post a reply as your attitude is not conducive to solving the issue at hand.

I will respect any constructive, outside the box and respectful critisim, were all adults (I hope) so please lets act accordingly.

Lastly, I have shared all the relevant information regarding the devices. There have been other happenings as well that has caused me to involve local law enforcement (stalking, break and entering, spoofing, inpersonation, etc) but this problem with the devices stands as it is.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:44 PM   #16
aiharkness
BlackBerry God

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blush_models
Thanks for your advice. As I realize being new to a board is no excuse of not observing the rules, I appologize for reposting I wasn't aware the it was poor etiquete, as I did not see the rule posted anywhere while I was posting. As for reposting or hijacking this post I saw that the users post was not being taken seriously as many people including experienced users, and some representatives at RIM have not heard about such problems and as such feel confident in their security. The gentlman that created the post should be taken seriously, and not dismissed as BS.

At any token I am not asking if it can be hacked or monitored I am telling you that it is possible, and this has been supported by a representative from a RIM representative (who has been very insightful), not to mention my own personal observations.

However, as the problem has not been solved I am looking for ways at putting an end to the issue once and for all. As respect seems to be of paramount importance on this board I will request anybody wishing to say this is or sounds like BS to please not post a reply as your attitude is not conducive to solving the issue at hand.

I will respect any constructive, outside the box and respectful critisim, were all adults (I hope) so please lets act accordingly.

Lastly, I have shared all the relevant information regarding the devices. There have been other happenings as well that has caused me to involve local law enforcement (stalking, break and entering, spoofing, inpersonation, etc) but this problem with the devices stands as it is.
The fact is anybody can come on here and make just about any sort of claim. I consider it a duty to call BS if warranted, just as much as I consider it a duty to confirm, if warranted. I'm not saying I'm sure it's BS; just that it is passing strange and doesn't add up. Thus, I'm leaning towards BS. That's my opinion and I have every right to express it.

It's interesting you don't want it voiced.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #17
jsconyers

Model: NOTE2
PIN: <- Where do I find this?

Here is a thread of forum etiquette: http://www.blackberryforums.com/rant...etiquette.html

The only issue I have with this is that you changed devices, providers, and numbers. Did you use the Switch Device Wizard to copy your data from the old device to the new one? If not, I do not see how it is possible for the new device "started from scratch" to have the same issue.

It has a different PIN, ESN or IMEI, etc. There is more to the story than you're letting on.
Too many people miss the silver lining because they're expecting gold.
[BES 5.0.3 / GroupWise 2012 HP2]
Old 04-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #18
penguin3107
BlackBerry God

Model: iOS 5
Carrier: VZW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsconyers View Post
There is more to the story than you're letting on.
... or more likely, a hell of a lot less.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:21 PM   #19
Blush_models

Thank you all for your continued interest in this topic. I realize as a new user it must take insurmountable amounts of patients to deal with my inexperience on this forum, so I do thank you for that. You do have the right to express your opinions I was trying to point out that BS was already stated so there is no need for stating multiple times. As for reposting I feel in this case it was relevant to support a user that i thought could use the support and it might bring something to light, next time I will create a link to my perivious post, if infact this is an actual rule and not just a rant.

As for when I changed devices I did start from scratch, which is why I am baffled by this. The RIM representative described it as serious form of harrasment he noted that the other person that it happend to involved numberous levels of law enforcement to no avail. He also said the person switched handleds like myself and the problem continued to happen.

However, he did say that there is discussion on forums about this sort of thing and third party software that may help to stop the problem according to threads, but he didn't say which ones. He said that he wasn't able to make a recommendation regarding third party apps.

The phone company, police, and even RIM (until i spoke with the last representative) said it was impossible. I'm just looking to solve the problem. Does anybody know of any applications that might help.
Old 04-14-2010, 01:39 PM   #20
the-economist
CrackBerry Addict

You changed handsets, carriers and numbers and the problem persisted. As the others correctly commented on my other post even if you were under law enforcement surveillance you wouldn't have your correspondence forwarded to third parties.

Live conversations can be recorded, the equipment exists. If someone is well funded and determined it can be done. Threats appearing as contacts now, edited owner info and password resets require physical access outside BES. You need to review your physical security.
Also if you have email correspondence leaking to a third party you may need to examine if your blackberry is not the attack vector used. If third parties are made aware of email conversation your mail may be compromised.
Closed Thread