Closed Thread

Old 07-29-2008, 04:21 PM   #21
pshift
CrackBerry Addict

Model: ...
PIN: N/A. Went To Android!
Carrier: Busy Signal :)

Please Login to Remove!

Thanks. Just noticed the SIDEBAR thingy over the weekend. VZW has a lot of nerve. But if enabling the SIDEBAR also enables the GPS, it may be worth it
Old 07-29-2008, 07:12 PM   #22
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeff View Post
Just you wait.
i think you are missing the bigger picture,

as for viigo, its an 3rd party app. not your service provider dimein in from both ends.

hey you pay for service, hey they pay to put ads on my phones for my service.

their is a big difference from a 3rd party app doing ads on free ware apps, then the telco running ads for a service you pay for.
Old 07-29-2008, 07:13 PM   #23
wabbit
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: Droid
PIN: PONG???
Carrier: verizon

as for vz this is like a new low they are stopping too.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:03 PM   #24
daphne
BBF Spam Killer Moderator

Model: Paspt
PIN: X1ZPY34K
Carrier: VZW but not for long

Remember, this is just a pilot program for Verizon. There is no indication that SIDEBAR is part of Verizon or vice-versa, or that it will be promoted indefinitely. I assume, if it goes well, it will be marketed to other mobile carriers. Whether or not it goes well remains to be seen.

I really cannot imagine any mobile users appreciating a pop-up ad when they reach a new level on BrickBreaker, or when they get a phone call. If the pilot program with Verizon does not go well for SIDEBAR, they may have to rethink their marketing tactics.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:09 PM   #25
NickfromIL
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8330
Carrier: Verizon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
Remember, this is just a pilot program for Verizon. There is no indication that SIDEBAR is part of Verizon or vice-versa, or that it will be promoted indefinitely. I assume, if it goes well, it will be marketed to other mobile carriers. Whether or not it goes well remains to be seen.

I really cannot imagine any mobile users appreciating a pop-up ad when they reach a new level on BrickBreaker, or when they get a phone call. If the pilot program with Verizon does not go well for SIDEBAR, they may have to rethink their marketing tactics.
Or they will just make it more appealing to the carriers, who will then force it upon our devices.
Old 07-29-2008, 10:13 PM   #26
daphne

It would be interesting to know if the carriers would receive any financial benefit from the program. Usually the company, SIDEBAR, would receive revenue from advertisers, and the advertisers would receive income from users who clicked on the ads or purchased things from the ads. Also SIDEBAR could potentially sell user data, like phone numbers, browsing or purchasing habits, to other companies. I may see if I can dig up some more info on this.
Old 07-30-2008, 02:34 AM   #27
Thomkong

Model: 8320
PIN: N/A
Carrier: Tmobile

Boy, I wonder what Chad's (alltel) going to say about this?
hahaha
Old 07-30-2008, 04:52 AM   #28
jodaddyyo

Model: 7200

great post, Daphne! I tried it... provided my age, gender, etc., and I am sure I was getting the same generic crap as the next person - there is no targeting. Also, it appears to use the radio constantly so it was killing my battery.
Old 07-30-2008, 04:15 PM   #29
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

Model: 9370

This is why I went apesh!t when T-Mobile started pushing Facebook onto our Blackberrys. What if Verizon or whoever decides they want/need the revenue from this kind of advertising and starts pushing this sidebar onto our devices? And not long after we get the xxxxxx text ads, we start hearing, "Congratulations! You've been selected to win a free laptop...." at max volume, in a sales meeting with the department head. The only consolation is that he'll be hearing it too. Carriers pushing content to us is a bad, bad trend.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:54 AM   #30
daphne

I noticed yesterday the SIDEBAR download link is no longer on my BB Verizon homepage. It would sure be interesting to know how the pilot program went. I seriously cannot imagine anyone liking this app.
Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 AM   #31
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

No one will like it, but they need to complain loud and long about it. Like Leonidas at the end of "The 300". The telcos are the Persians and we're the Spartans, standing up against mysticism and tyranny. I feel very strongly about this. And also folks without data plans trying to sleaze data functions anyway. But I digress....
Old 08-18-2008, 03:04 PM   #32
PaulMdx
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: T of Guinness
Carrier: O2 UK

Wirelessly posted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambo47
This is why I went apesh!t when T-Mobile started pushing Facebook onto our Blackberrys. What if Verizon or whoever decides they want/need the revenue from this kind of advertising and starts pushing this sidebar onto our devices? And not long after we get the xxxxxx text ads, we start hearing, "Congratulations! You've been selected to win a free laptop...." at max volume, in a sales meeting with the department head. The only consolation is that he'll be hearing it too. Carriers pushing content to us is a bad, bad trend.
Absolutely agree on pushing content being very, very bad. I complained on this site about O2 pushing FaceBook onto BB's and was met with a "what's the problem" response. You've highlighted the exact worst case!
Old 09-19-2008, 02:24 PM   #33
stevekerver

Model: 8300
Carrier: AT&T

Hey- c'mon-- Babe of the day? Joke of the day? Trivia? Movie trailers?
Its not that bad. I find myself thumbing through it when I'm bored. I'm always curious to see what I get sent next.
...I *really* doubt anybody will ever get a loud xxxxxx ad in the middle of a business meeting, or have anybody abscond with your private information and/or use private information where or how it shouldn't be used- there would be no value in that at all.

Last edited by stevekerver; 09-19-2008 at 02:32 PM..
Old 09-19-2008, 06:15 PM   #34
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

The spammers will pay for your information so they can mass-market you with their garbage. There's no limit to what could show up. It's all a question of who controls the content on YOUR Blackberry. I check my spam email account (Hotmail) once a week and the sheer volume of that junk makes me fear for what the telcos could subject us to.
Old 09-20-2008, 12:47 AM   #35
daphne

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekerver View Post
Hey- c'mon-- Babe of the day? Joke of the day? Trivia? Movie trailers?
Its not that bad. I find myself thumbing through it when I'm bored. I'm always curious to see what I get sent next.
...I *really* doubt anybody will ever get a loud xxxxxx ad in the middle of a business meeting, or have anybody abscond with your private information and/or use private information where or how it shouldn't be used- there would be no value in that at all.
That's a very naive point of view. Data like your email addresses and mobile number are valuable commodities. Companies buy and sell them all the time.

The lack of a privacy policy is unacceptable, as is this:

Quote:
"Content, including your wireless phone number, may be intercepted by third parties with or without your or our (referring to Verizon) knowledge or permission."
Maybe some people might like ads in the middle of their games, or in the middle of their sms messages, but I can't imagine why. If you like that stuff, maybe you are in the adware business yourself...
Old 09-20-2008, 08:41 AM   #36
Johnny909
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 8310
PIN: Worms
Carrier: AT&T

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne View Post
That's a very naive point of view.
Correct 100%. Just say no to spam, malware, and addware content on blackberry.

Later
Old 09-20-2008, 10:05 AM   #37
rambo47
Latino Hasta La Muerte

There really is no defense for spammers. They're low, vile creatures and should be dealt with in the harshest terms. Saying "it's not so bad" is a terrible attitude to take. Opening the door to these swine is the LAST thing any of us should do. Like the mighty ****roach, if spammers get a foothold in our mobiles it will be almost impossible to get rid of them.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
-- attributed to Eduond Blurke
Closed Thread