Old 01-12-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
zero7404
BlackBerry Extraordinaire

Model: 9530
PIN: n/a
Carrier: tmob
Default thinking of switching to at&t...questions for bold users

Please Login to Remove!

my contract will be up with tmo in july, and i was thinking of going with the bold on at&t. but i have some questions...

i live in the metro nyc area, and i'd like to know if anyone else has this phone and lives in this area ? i'd like to know how stable your 3G service really is, whether you've had problems with at&t services and billing ? call quality and overall reception ?

i'm growing sick of waiting for tmo to introduce a 3G bb, so if they don't have at least one available by july, i'm going to switch to at&t. my curve works fine, but it runs like molasses, especially when i have alot of messages on the phone and the internet on the EDGE network is pretty slow as well...
Old 01-12-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
dwella
Talking BlackBerry Encyclopedia

Model: 9000
Carrier: ATT

I am a firm believer on picking a cell company based on where you live and travel. With that said I am a true believer in ATT and my Bold in the SW and Texas. I think your smart asking for comments in your own area. When I was in the city for 5 days last summer my 3g worked great.

d
Old 01-12-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
rweckhoff
Knows Where the Search Button Is

Model: 9630
Carrier: Verizon Wireless

I work in Manhattan/Brooklyn and live in Southern NJ (Exit 77 GSP). I have no issues with 3G to and from the city daily.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:39 AM   #4
Bennett5000
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 8900
Carrier: AT&T

I travel quite a bit to NYC and AT&T has worked great for me. It has actually gotten better in the last year or so. I don't think you would regret the move..
Old 01-13-2009, 01:23 PM   #5
zero7404

thanks for the opinions, much appreciated.

when it comes to signing my life over for another 2 years, and losing the freedom i'm going to have in July of going month-to-month with tmo, i get all cautious and aware ahead of time because i don't want to sign over, then later run into problems that will point me in the direction of canning a provider.

i already made the mistake once to port my existing number to verizon a few years back, then canceling and getting my number re-ported to tmo was a hassle & costly.

things like 3G reception, signal strength and call quality are at the top of my list.
but i'm also concerned at how reliable the push service is with at&t...
Old 01-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Crazyapple

Carrier: TMobile US

We have a number of attorneys in Manhattan using AT&T with no issues. Note that none are using a bold, so I can only speak to the e-mail delivery & phone coverage on Curves which has been excellent.

Stat wise I'd guess we're about:

110 T-mobile
20 AT&T
10 Verizon

We get more complaints about T-mobile but given the breakdown, I'm not sure if they're a higher percentage.

Anyway - I don't think you'll have any real issues.
Old 01-13-2009, 03:50 PM   #7
ArgonNJ
No longer Registered.

Model: WP7

Excellent 3G in Monmouth and Ocean counties of NJ. Great call quality and sound. No problems with AT&T at all and you can't beat rollover minutes if you aren't a big talker.
Old 01-13-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
JayC33

PIN: N/A
Carrier: ATT

I have had a Bold on ATT since election day ('08) the day it was released. I love this phone have had no problems with call quality (as a matter of fact i think it's much improved over the 1 1/2 years since I'm with ATT.) Also no problems with push mail on 1 work and 4 personal email accounts on BIS.

The one question mark for me the the past couple of weeks is 3G, but i am convinced that it is an application issue, but I am not yet sure which one it is.

Good Luck in your decision.

Jay.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:49 PM   #9
zero7404

thanks again for the posts....

i'm not too fond of what AT&T did yesterday with that american idol sms stunt.....things like advertising directly to my phone really irritate me, it's bad enough that i open a brand new email address and within a week i start getting spammed and receiving ads....but seriously, not on my phone !

tmo never did anything like that over the years i've had their service. i think i got maybe 3 or 4 spam sms's over the past 5 yrs.

overall i'd rather stay on tmo's network, but if they take forever to get the bold, i'm gonna to jump.

it looks like -service and reception-wise- at&t is doing a good job, but how are they on billing, anyone notice irregularities, surprise charges, inconsistent charges on their bills ? at&t would be about 10-15 bucks more expensive for me for a comparable monthly plan, not too crazy about that, but it's not that bad.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:22 PM   #10
petey_racer

I live 100 miles North of the city and also got my Bold on Nov 4. I love the phone and the service. Up here AT&T rules, except we do not have 3G yet. They said late Dec, just like they said the Bold would be out late summer.

I was in Manhattan in early Dec and on LI for the holidays, and 3G ROCKS! I could not believe how clear and fast it is.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #11
bigbda1
Thumbs Must Hurt

I have had a Bold from the first day AT&T introduced them in So. California. I travel the 11 western states. I have excellent 3G coverage in almost all metro areas, and its great. In fringe areas I sometimes drop into Edge, but not that often. Online with 3G is fast! I had a Pearl for two years prior. the Bold is fast, stable, and everything I wanted in a workhorse communication tool. It's excellent.
I also have better reception at my home with the Bold, than I did with the 8100.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
That70sGAdawg
Thumbs Must Hurt

Model: 9670
Carrier: Sprint

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
thanks again for the posts....

i'm not too fond of what AT&T did yesterday with that american idol sms stunt.....things like advertising directly to my phone really irritate me, it's bad enough that i open a brand new email address and within a week i start getting spammed and receiving ads....but seriously, not on my phone !
Put your cell phone on the "Do not call" list with the US government, spam ends. Unless you opt in on some signup form..

Last edited by That70sGAdawg; 01-15-2009 at 10:22 AM..
Old 01-15-2009, 10:44 AM   #13
CO_BBTechie

Model: 8310

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7404 View Post
AT&T allows you to decide if and how you want to hear from them. Go to your online account and set your marketing preferences. You can opt out of communications from them via sms, email, telephone.
Old 01-15-2009, 11:21 AM   #14
Rogue Status

Model: 7130c

it seems the only place 3g does not come into effect and work to its up-most capability; is when your out in the wilderness. (WI is one area i don't get even close to a signal)

although to answer the question at hand my cousin lives in NYC, NY and has a bold with AT&T and he has absolutely not complaints.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:11 PM   #15
whsbuss

Model: 9800

I live and work in the Philly suburbs. 3G connectivity has been excellent, no dropped calls or missed data coverage. Switched to AT&T in Dec. 2008 from Verizon and so far I am impressed with their coverage and call quality. No regrets.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:42 PM   #16
pbeverly

My wife has opted out about a dozen times to no avail. Each time she got confirmation that that she opted out. Called 2x to AT&T, they claimed you can't opt out of AT&T Marketing except by doing Do No Call, which I did long ago. Due to my work, I have a engineer contact in AT&T and had to call him to fix my personal account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CO_BBTechie View Post
AT&T allows you to decide if and how you want to hear from them. Go to your online account and set your marketing preferences. You can opt out of communications from them via sms, email, telephone.
Old 01-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #17
CO_BBTechie

I've done it once and have never received another marketing message from them in four years.
Old 01-17-2009, 02:06 PM   #18
zero7404

i did the "do not call" thing 2 or so years ago. so far i haven't received anything unsolicited in the past 2 years from what i can remember....

i'd love to get a bold, so i'm going to wait until august, see if tmo will be offering their flavor of it on the network, and then buy just the phone and keep myself on month-to-month. when my 2 yr is up in July, going month-to-month is a freedom i don't want to lose.
Closed Thread